Bumpy ride with Sterling Van Lines so far - need advice

Our open community forum is for general moving related questions, comments, and useful information about local and interstate moves.
memcnult

Re: Bumpy ride with Sterling Van Lines so far - need advice

Postby memcnult » Mon Aug 01, 2005 1:43 pm

I didn't have to pay for storage, but my stuff wasn't stored - it was on a truck rambling around the east coast for weeks. It was only in their storage place in LA until they did their usual LA - SF run.

The missing items weren't particularly valuable - a plant stand and shelves for a book case.

Also, when you do get your stuff, remove all those number stickers ASAP. Some of them actually stripped the finish off of our wood furniture, but I assume this is because it was on there some 2 months.

I really liked Tony, and felt bad about giving them a bad review, since he really was nice, and tried to be helpful. But I just didn't feel like anyone else at the company did anything at all to try to correct the situation, or help the situation by offering some kind of discount. Still, since he's so busy, he tends to sometimes forget to return calls, so it's worth waiting on hold if he's busy when you call.

janet

Postby janet » Mon Aug 01, 2005 1:57 pm

I have a much clearer picture of what to expect now. I wasn't too worried about having the delivery time frame expanded - since they were ready to deliver within a week of pickup (see original post). But it seems like I should keep my fingers crossed extra tightly. I hope "Guest" responds and let me know what happened with him/her regarding storage at Sterling.

Diane

Postby Diane » Mon Aug 01, 2005 2:03 pm

Tony (dispatcher) and Doug (sales) have been mentioned to me before, in a PM by someone who was considering using Sterling. He said that Tony was nice but when he started asking a lot of questions, Doug abruptly canceled his move. I think he's going to post about his experience eventually. I believe that they broker out some of their moves and that a truck other than one of Sterling's three (?) trucks could deliver people's things. Eventually I want to put all of these Sterling reviews together on the same thread. It does appear to me that they do better with west to east moves than with east to west moves.

memcnult

Postby memcnult » Mon Aug 01, 2005 2:03 pm

Thanks for the well wishes in the other post! I love SF too! :D

I think they have something like 4 or 6 trucks, plus one that just does the SF - LA route. Now, why they couldn't move my things from the slow truck onto a faster one to get my stuff to me on time, I don't know. I really think there's just a disconnect between the people doing the actual work (drivers and Tony) and the reps who set up your delivery windows, and whomever controls things like actually making sure they stick to their schedules.

I think it's more likely you'll get your stuff later rather than sooner, which might be less of a hassle for you?

Regarding storage, I would try to get in touch with your original rep, and confirm the final amount of the bill. Mine went up some from the estimate, but that's fine, I had totally different stuff then the estimate was based on. But they did stick to that final number, and didn't charge me extra for the extra delivery of the forgotten items. (Which is good, since I wouldn't have hesitated to file a BBB claim if they had!)

memcnult

Postby memcnult » Mon Aug 01, 2005 2:07 pm

Hi Diane,

I searched through old posts and had a hard time finding reviews of Sterling (which is why I posted mine under a new thread), so getting what there is together would be great.

I did ask them specifically if my stuff would be on any non-Sterling vans or non-Sterling storage sites, and they said no. Perhaps that's why they couldn't/wouldn't get it onto a faster truck - because it would have been a non-Sterling truck!

Diane

Postby Diane » Mon Aug 01, 2005 2:12 pm

Hi - it seems as if this company needs an interpreter between itself and the general public. It has done some nice things for people in the past. When I have a chance, in my free (?) time I want to go visit the facility to see what the owner is like and what gives.

janet

Postby janet » Mon Aug 01, 2005 2:26 pm

Doug is my contact now. I don't think I will be able to get anything out of my original rep, because it is him that promised that very tight delivery time frame. I still have my hopes because he checked with Tony way back when and Tony said he could meet it. Call me an optimist.

But I will try to contact my original rep.

I have the pick up date, delivery time frame, and final cost in writing. I have a feeling they over-estimated my final load weight, so I think "free storage" is, in fact, not free. It ended up being part of the package. I've got an oral confirmation from Doug that I won't be charged extra for storage and that my final shipping cost will remain the same as originally stated in the contract.

I will consider this experience practice for later when I've got a family and a household full of memories and valuables.

janet

Postby janet » Sat Sep 10, 2005 7:44 pm

I received my stuff on friday September 9th 2005. A week later than what my original sales rep promised, but well within the revised delivery time frame. My driver was Mark and he was friendly, fast and efficient. I couldn't have asked for a better person to come out here with my stuff. He called the people he helped move "my people." I think that says a lot.

My original complaint was that a less experienced sales rep promised an unrealistic delivery time frame then after picking up my stuff, my truck was loaded on a truck headed out to my destination a month too early. After that was straightened out, I did receive my stuff within the revised delivery time frame. And everything came exactly as it had left. Nothing broken, damaged, scratched. Also, I was not charged for storage as promised.

I would recommend Sterling even with that delivery date promise mishap. That stemmed mostly from my unrealistic expectations. After talking to Mark about his route and schedule, I have a much better understanding about how the industry works.

Return to “Open Community”