Graebel Erickson Movers, CA

Our open community forum is for general moving related questions, comments, and useful information about local and interstate moves.
mickeyblue

Graebel Erickson Movers, CA

Postby mickeyblue » Sat Jul 23, 2005 2:16 pm

Hi,

I am moving from San Jose, CA to Raleigh, NC and have got a quote of $4500 for 5000 pounds from Graebel Erickson Movers, CA. Having been scammed by another moving company, I have decided to go with a reputable moving company even if it costs more. After reading through a few posts on this site, Graebel comes across as a dependable company.

The only concern I have is that they will charge my credit card in full when I book them. Is that a common practice and is there anything to worry about it? Also, the estimate was given over the phone based on a detailed list of items that I provided, and not an actual visual inspection by the company. Should I insist on a visual inspection?

Thanks for your advice and you guys are doing an awesome job with this site! I am really grateful.

Diane

Re: Graebel Erickson Movers, CA

Postby Diane » Tue Jul 26, 2005 2:08 am

Hi - there was discussion of Graebel Erickson here recently on another thread - http://www.movingscam.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=3876

Graebel agents have been giving large discounts this year. A person that I queried about it said that their COD business (moves paid for by consumers rather than employers) hadn't panned out as much as they hoped. He added that Graebel might be put up for sale soon because the founder was getting on in years.

Regardless of all this, you shouldn't go with any company that doesn't give you an in-home estimate. As for charging your credit card in advance, that is standard procedure for most if not all major van lines. Nobody wants to get to delivery day and then it turns out that the customer doesn't have a high enough credit limit to pay for the move.

Michael

Postby Michael » Tue Jul 26, 2005 12:46 pm

Just for rumor sake, Graebel has been for sale for years and years now. So that isnt news.

I agree with Diane, in home estimate is a must. What type of discount are they providing and did it include valuation.

Also on a side note, if Graebel is that desperate for business, especially in the COD market, I dont take that as a good sign in regards to quality.

Best of luck,
Michael

Forget yourself for others and the others will never forget

jim sullivan

Postby jim sullivan » Tue Jul 26, 2005 2:23 pm

spreading false rumors about the impending sale of Graebel is not real professional. The fact that there was a single change at the top of Graebel Van Lines doesn't mean it is for sale. As a point of fact, Graebel Van Lines is flourishing and a profitable company with a very bright future under the leadership of Bill Graebel.

I want to reiterate; Graebel Van Lines, according to my insider knowledge, is not and has not been for sale.

Credit cards are always pre-approved before the service occurs on an interstate move. We must make sure the client has space available for a usually large charge. Credits are given when weights and services come in less than estimated.

Surveys should always be done in person unless there is a severe time restriction.

Jim Sullivan
Residential Sales Manager Graebel/Chicago

Diane

Postby Diane » Tue Jul 26, 2005 7:49 pm

Just to let you know, the person who speculated about Graebel had just been consolidated out of Graebel, so that might have shaped his opinions.

Thanks for coming on here to post, Jim. I'm confused about how Graebel works. Someone (the same person, actually) told me that the Graebel offices are not franchises; they're all controlled out of Denver. I believe that someone else posted that there are 39 of them and they are called service centers.

Can you educate me as to what this means in terms of how moves are handled? Are all moves handled by trucks stationed at the various "service centers" or does Graebel HQ also have long-haul owner-operators that it dispatches? The reason I ask is that I always like it when a person's things are moved by the same truck they are picked up by, and I wonder whether that is any more likely to happen with Graebel than with other van lines.

Michael

Postby Michael » Tue Jul 26, 2005 9:20 pm

Diane,

I will answer some of your questions. And Jim, you should know better. Even when I worked at Graebel, there was the rumor that Dave Graebel was looking to possibly sell. Even when I was at United it was known that United was approached but the price was to high.

Whether or not they are for sale has no bearing on the forum here, or to the topic at hand for this shipper.

Last I heard, there were about 56-62 agents in the Graebel system. They are not franchises but is HQ'd out fo Denver. As we know, the nice thing about Graebel is that they are all owned and operated by the Graebel Family. Graebel is a good ol boy network. Meaning if you were one of the good ol boys growing up in the system you retained your job when others were cut and promoted. Most promotions stayed within the good ol boy network. The other nice thing about all the agents is that however Denver says to do something, then all 56-62 agents have to do it. The GM in San Jose cant go out and do his own thing. The bad side about that is that Denver never really stayed with one thing. It was always lets try this, go gung ho for two months on it and then never hear a thing about it again. Then two months later it was onto something else.

Agents do have their own drivers as well as corporate drivers. The thing that Graebel lacks that others bigger dont of course is the capability of servicing a job in more remote locations. When you compare companies with 300-480 agents in their system, you do have to tip your hat to Graebel for doing what they have and for their growth over the last ten years. Which when I say growth I mean in terms of size, not market share.

Graebel is a good company and has a very good reputation in the National Account market. And if the price was ever right I am sure Dave would sell the business.
Michael

Forget yourself for others and the others will never forget

Postby Guest » Thu Aug 11, 2005 1:18 pm

diane,

graebel relocations has 58 company owned stores nationwide. unlike agent based van lines, graebel uses nothing but graebel certified packers, loaders, and drivers. unlike agent based van lines, we control the whole process from start to finish and offer a "no excuse" experience. graebel has excelled in the national account and commercial arena's in many of our markets. in 2002, graebel decided to use its standards and nationwide service to compete in the cod arena. with very few exceptions graebel has excelled at treating cod customers with the same "no excuse" service we have been providing fortune 500 companies for 50 years.
i worked for uni-group agents long enough to know that these independent agents make decisions based on what is best for the agent, not necessarily best for the customer. we will not always be the cheapest choice out there, but i can guarantee that very few van lines have the standards and control of the move process like we do.
by the way, i talked to dave graebel and it appears that his company is not, nor ever has been for sale since he switched from being an allied van line agent to start his own van-line many years ago.
we aren't perfect, but i can promise anyone reading this that they will be treated in the same vain as our corporate clients.
this web-site is phenomenal for shippers and to have these dialogues is a great way to get information to the shippers.
keep up the great work!

jim sullivan

jennyloo

Postby jennyloo » Thu Aug 11, 2005 6:26 pm

I have moved with Graebel twice. Once with an employer and then recently on my own. I did not realize that they have only been in the consumer arena for a few years.

I should add that I have also done a long distance move with a really shady company currently on the blacklist.

Graebel does a great job staying in touch with the mover, checking in during hte packing, pickup, in-transit and delivery stages. During my first Graebel move, I had a few items damaged, and I had FULL CASH reimbursement (purchase price, not depreciated) before I could blink an eye. The professionalism and speed with which my claims were handled resulted in a very happy customer.

The only complaint I would have is this... My second, recent move, was somewhat frustrating because I had a relatively new driver... However, I would certainly move with Graebel again!

Return to “Open Community”