Baltimore to DC moving and storage

Our open community forum is for general moving related questions, comments, and useful information about local and interstate moves.
jimmykitty

Baltimore to DC moving and storage

Postby jimmykitty » Wed Aug 10, 2005 8:32 pm

My husband and I will be moving from our house in Baltimore to DC and will be needing to put our things in storage for about 6 months while our new house is being renovated. I've read good reviews about Beltway and JK Movers on this forum. I was considering a newer moving company called 1st Class Moving and Storage (not to be mistaken for the infamous 1st Choice Movers) out of Hanover, Md. Since our things will be in storage for a while it's important that the cost for storage is economical while at the same time climate control and security are also important. I would appreciate comments others may have.

-Thanks.
RH

MusicMom

Re: Baltimore to DC moving and storage

Postby MusicMom » Thu Aug 11, 2005 11:15 am

This is what I found when i looked them up in December:
Hmm, searching the FMCSA's site for 1st class in Maryland, I found 1st Class Moving & Storage in Jessup, MD (DOT 1095884). They got their license in May of last year.

Their website, www.1-globe.net, shows this address and phone number:
7270-D Park Circle Drive
Hanover, MD 21076
E-mail: usa@1-globe.net
Baltimore/Annapolis: (410) 712-7102
Washington Metro.: (301) 725-8118
Fax: (410) 712-7101
Toll Free: (888) 638-0100

And is registered to BOUSSI, RAEF at the business address, and a Hassan Boussi is listed in one website. There is not a lot of advertising out there. How did you find them?

Their legal name is 1ST CLASS INTERNATIONAL, INC.

They've changed their addresses.
Physical Address:
8242-A SANDY COURT
JESSUP MD 20794
Mailing Address:
P. O. BOX 133
ANNAPOLIS MD 20701

This bothers me, when all the mail goes to a PO box rather than their office.

It bothers me even more when I Google the physical address and find this press release:
For Immediate Release
December 10, 2002 Contact: Sean Caine, 410-576-6357

HOWARD COUNTY MOVING COMPANY REACHES SETTLEMENT WITH ATTORNEY GENERAL’S OFFICE

Attorney General J. Joseph Curran, Jr. announced today that his Consumer Protection Division has reached a settlement agreement with Magic Movers, Inc., located at 8242-A Sandy Court, Jessup, and its owner, Hassan Boussi.

Under the settlement, Magic Movers and Boussi agreed to stop offering or selling insurance to consumers unless they actually procure insurance for the consumers’ benefit. Magic Movers and Boussi also agreed to pay restitution to consumers to whom they had sold, but not actually provided, insurance, consisting of the amounts they charged for the insurance that was not provided less any payments the company paid consumers for damage claims. The Division has identified 112 consumers who are entitled to this restitution. Magic Movers must pay the Consumer Protection Division $32,039, which will be used by the Division to pay restitution to consumers and the Division’s investigation costs.

Magic Movers and Boussi also agreed to comply with state and federal law limiting its ability to assert a lien against a consumer’s goods when a dispute arises over the final moving bill. The settlement also requires Magic Movers to fully disclose the terms of its contract at the time it is hired by consumers and to arbitrate future disputes that arise between it and consumers.

"A moving company cannot misrepresent the services it is selling and take advantage of its customers on moving day," said Attorney General Curran.

The Attorney General advises consumers who purchase insurance through a moving company to ask for the name of the company providing the insurance, request a copy of the insurance policy, and ask whom they would contact to file a claim and what is necessary to file a claim.

Consumers with complaints against Magic Movers are encouraged to call the Consumer Protection Division’s complaint hotline at (410) 528-8662 or toll-free 1 (877) 261-8807.

jimmykitty

Postby jimmykitty » Fri Aug 12, 2005 10:29 am

-Thanks for the info re:1st class moving and storage music mom. We are considering using a local company, HAMPDEN movers. I'm not sure if we will have them store our belongings or if we will have them deliver our belongings to a public storage locker located near us. The cost is about the same and we would be able to have easier access to our things since we might need to have things stored for up to six months.
-If anyone can recommend any other reputable moving/storage companies for a Baltimore to DC move we would appreciate it. Also, if anyone has any ideas one way or another regarding renting a storage locker versus having a moving company store our things I would also appreciate the input. The storage locker would not be climate controlled since it's a larger unit located at ground level so a moving van can pull right up the garage door. Our things will be stored from mid Sept. til sometime this winter.

MusicMom

Postby MusicMom » Fri Aug 12, 2005 10:47 am

Actually, I know that Hilldrup (United Van Lines) has an office in Baltimore. I would also suggest JK Moving, as they have had several good reviews here, or their newly-aquired partners, Thomas AAA (they may be going by JK Moving & Storage of MD now) Thomas had good comments of their own before JK bought them out. They are in Gaithersburg.
http://www.thomasaaa.com/

MusicMom

Postby MusicMom » Fri Aug 12, 2005 10:50 am

If you DO use Hampden, which is a NAVL agent, you should ask them the prices of Storage in Transit (climate-controlled) at their own facilities. I believe it would be cheaper overall than having them deliver to a self-storage and then doing a completely new move in a few months.

Diane

Postby Diane » Fri Aug 12, 2005 11:08 am

If this is the Hampden in Baltimore, I believe that it's a Mayflower agent and that it works fairly closely with Security, the United agent. I know someone who works for Hampden and I think it has a good reputation.

MusicMom

Postby MusicMom » Fri Aug 12, 2005 3:03 pm

I was going by their BBB report, which says NAVL.

Return to “Open Community”