Any feedback on Plycon Van Lines?

Our open community forum is for general moving related questions, comments, and useful information about local and interstate moves.
melissa

Any feedback on Plycon Van Lines?

Postby melissa » Tue Aug 09, 2005 4:11 pm

I'm moving a 2 BR condo from Chicago to San Francisco in August and have a lot of nice antiques. A local store recommended Plycon Van Lines. While this is a residential move, I note that Plycon also does a lot of moving for the furniture industry and for antiques dealers which I find encouraging. They came out to do an estimate and seemed to have an eye for detail.

Any feedback on the Chicago and Hayward locations would be helpful. My primary objective is to protect what are unreplaceable treasures for me and I'm willing to pay a little more for flawless performance. Any other recommendations would be welcome.

Thanks!

Diane

Re: Any feedback on Plycon Van Lines?

Postby Diane » Tue Aug 09, 2005 4:17 pm

Hi - I moved my reply over from the "Report a Scam" thread since you posted your inquiry twice. I'll delete the whole other thread.

The first I heard of this company was a few days ago when someone posted that a company I like very much (All Star Moving in Brooklyn) had recommended it. I did a rudimentary search on it and posted what I found on this thread (halfway down) - http://www.movingscam.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=5508

You could call All Star (718-643-4705) to find out why they are recommending the company. Also consider calling Ms. Patricia McLaughlin, Executive Director of the Illinois Movers' and Warehousemen's Association, phone 217-585-2470 or 888-791-2516, to ask for information on them. Pat might also be able to give you some names of Chicago companies that would be unusually good for moving antiques.

Here's a recent thread where I named some agents of major van lines that have good reviews and comments on this website, but what I've noticed is that there have been glitches with every move reported on here - http://www.movingscam.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=5543

Here's a thread with a lot of useful information on it; the person was moving her parents' antiques from Chicago to Oregon - http://www.movingscam.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=4978 Unfortunately she wasn't registered so we don't know what happened, but Betsy (mentioned in the thread) might know.

MusicMom

Postby MusicMom » Tue Aug 09, 2005 8:50 pm

From what I see, Plycon Van Lines is in Kings Park, NY, not Chicago. They are licensed for both household goods and new furniture, which corroberates the story, but I'm still lost on how this company from NY can help you in Chicago.

What else throws me is that this company has a mailing address of 10340 NW 39TH ST YUKON OK 73099. I Googled that address, and it's shared by another company, categorized under General Freight but FMCSA license is for Motor Property, MC489763 (who incidentally had his license revoked YESTERDAY for lack of insurance). This company has a physical address in Arizona, but the same mailing address in OK.

This is confusing to me. please ask them about it, if you go that route! I just want to know for curiosity's sake.

MusicMom

Postby MusicMom » Tue Aug 09, 2005 8:57 pm

OK, i see that they have office all over the country. I found one ad for a branch in Pompano FL, so i checked FL's records and that branch is shared by three members of the Pliaconis family, with addresses in NY, CA (president), and FL. So I'm guessing the family is all over the country involved in the business? Am I just digging too deep into this? :oops:

As a side, I did see several good reviews while searching for them.

Diane

Postby Diane » Tue Aug 09, 2005 9:02 pm

Could you post the links to the good reviews? I couldn't find anything on them, but then I'm not a master sleuth like you are, MM! :lol:

Rick

Postby Rick » Tue Aug 09, 2005 9:26 pm

Plycon is a high end, specialty mover who enjoys a very dedicated, affluent clientele - Hollywood types, professionals, and those with money to spend. Chris operates about a dozen trucks interstate but they run primarily between their satellite offices.

They also have very close, long standing relationships with several quality master craftsman and unique furniture design galleries and studios. In addition, they specialize in art, exhibit and tradeshow, and museum quality shipments in their California, Illinois and New York locations.

They have a very good word-of-mouth reputation with their exclusive customer base. A word of caution, though. They're not cheap.

MusicMom

Postby MusicMom » Tue Aug 09, 2005 11:02 pm

Well, most of what I found were comments like Rick's from various stores and antique dealers that they had helped in the past.

melissa

Postby melissa » Wed Aug 10, 2005 12:28 pm

Thank you Diane, MM and Rick. I really appreciate your spending the time to provide feedback! Diane, I will call the numbers you gave me in your email, and then I will see how the estimate comes back (and let you all know). I'm not a Hollywood type and my company is NOT paying for my move, so this could be interesting....

MM, if you have the time, I would still love to see links to those other comments from customers because I have scoured the Internet without finding any.

As a side note, Plycon said they would not insure some museum quality hand-painted screens because they're in somewhat unstable condition (some chipping gesso and paint, a few cracks in the wood). Would you recommend getting extra insurance or is it hard to insure antiques that are already fragile? :D

Nancy

Postby Nancy » Wed Aug 10, 2005 12:36 pm

Did Plycon see the goods they are refusing to cover? You may check on doing custom crates for the items since they are of high value.

melissa

Postby melissa » Wed Aug 10, 2005 12:55 pm

Thanks Nancy. They did look at the screens and recommended custom crating them. I suppose I should someone else at the company about the insurance for these.

MusicMom

Postby MusicMom » Wed Aug 10, 2005 3:52 pm

Melissa, do a Google search with "Plycon Van Lines" in quotes and skim through the links.

melissa

Postby melissa » Fri Aug 12, 2005 7:55 pm

:? They came back with a non-binding estimate of $6845.50 total (Chicago to SF), broken down as follows:

$1265 for boxing and crating (includes packing the kitchen dishes and fragile glassware) without itemizing the items to be crated. I had discussed each item with them at length, and requested to have it "broken out" in the pricing. Obviously I would be stupid not to get this in writing before booking the move. It's all about protecting these valuable items.

$4938.50 (based on an estimate of 5810 lbs. @ $85/100 lbs.) This seems a high weight estimate since it is a 2 BR condo with no furniture in the living room and not much in the dining room. I don't have lots of stuff but she thought I had a lot of books. I would estimate it to be in the 3000-4000 lbs. range but I suppose I could be off.

plus

A 13% fuel surchare of $624.

plus

$300 extra if a shuttle is necessary on the delivery end.

Insurance is extra: @ $20.00 per 1000 of declared value with no deductable; $15 per 1000 of declared value with a $250 deductable (not stating if this is a per-item deductable or total); $12 per 1000 of delcared value w/$500 dedcutable. But, they don't state who declares the value (i.e., if I need estimates).

I requested a copy of their standard bill of lading and said I need more detail to get comfortable with this. She said she would fax me a copy of the form she fills out to do the estimate before the end of the day today. I guess I'll see if that's correct. I'm still not booking it until I see the bill of lading and a correctly itemized estimate.

With my my move only 1.5 weeks away I'm nervous. I first contacted the company on the 26th of July. It took more than a week to arrange an on-site inventory of my condo. After the inventory, including photos and notes, it has taken 3 days for them to send me an estimate with hardly any detail. I've been thinking if they're just great it would be worth some extra $$ and peace of mind to entrust my valuables to them. But, now I'm losing my enthusiasm. Maybe they think I'm dumb.

I'm obtaining an estimate from Pickens Kane (a respected Allied Agent on Monday) and will continue with this antiques moving saga at that time.

Diane

Postby Diane » Fri Aug 12, 2005 9:55 pm

I'm just curious as to why you chose Pickens-Kane for another estimate. Did someone recommend it to you?

Rick

Postby Rick » Fri Aug 12, 2005 10:15 pm

Don't hold your breath waiting for the bill of lading to be sent, Melissa. This document is only presented to you when the driver arrives to load. The B/L is your actual "contract". The Estimate/Order for Service defines the scope of services negotiated for that contract.

Wooden Crating will add SUBSTANTIAL COST and WEIGHT to a move. The time and matierial required to properly crate an item for safe transport increases the density of a shipment. The accessorial charges for wooden crates frequently exceed the packing charges for all other boxes.

Books also substantially increase the cost of a move by increasing the density factor and weight. A standard, living room bookcase can hold 400-600 lbs. of books.

The acknowledgement of a shuttle charge is a new requirement imposed on movers by FMCSAs “Transportation of Household Goods; Consumer Protection Regulations” . They added it because many locations in Chicago are inaccesssible to over the road equipment and require the use of a smaller vehicle to deliver to your address. Since your estimate is based on actual serivces provided, the shuttle charge can't be applied if it is not necessary.

The fuel surcharge, based on the DOE's, average fuel price on August 5th, is 13%. After the activity of the last few days, it probably will jump to 15% when the September results are released.

The time between your first contact with the company and the day the visual survey was performed isn't too unusual. You are moving at the end of one of the busiest months in the industry. Many families are rushing to get into their new homes before the start of the new school year. You should allow as much leaway as possible with your pick up and delivery requirements to avoid the possiblity of double hanlding.

Did your estimator mention the use of a "High Value Inventory". This document allows you to declare items of exceptional value. If not, ask!

Considering when you are moving and your feeling of mistrust for this carrier, you should arrange other estimates as soon as possible. Even if you felt the estimate was accurate, you should get a second quote when possible.

Good Luck!

melissa

Postby melissa » Mon Aug 15, 2005 8:46 pm

Rick,
Thank you for the "reality check". I've read so many horror stories on this site that I am distrustful a bit afraid to proceed without having all the i's dotted and t's crossed. When the Chicago office sent me my estimate form it wasn't filled out as acurately as I would have liked. For example, they didn't reflect all the crating that I had requested.

On the weight issue, my property might weigh 5800 lbs., but I would like some protection against a potentially excessive ballpark estimate. I'm considering storing some things at my mother's house based on the price of transporting them. It's a 2 BR condo, but my dining room and living room are nearly empty.

I have one question for you about the bill of lading. Why wouldn't the company send me a blank copy of their standard bill of lading so I can see their policies? If it's my actual contract (and I'm a lawyer, please hate me) the last thing I want to do is read it the day that all of my worldly possessions are being loaded onto a truck. There isn't much bargaining power then.

Any suggestions or information on that issue would be more than welcome.

Diane, I chose Pickens Kane for the alternate quote because they are well-respected in Chicago. Pat at the Illinois Movers and Warehouseman's Assn. also suggested using them for antiques. The challenge would be making sure that PK uses a good Allied rep. on the delivery end in San Francisco.

Thanks again everyone for all of your help.

Return to “Open Community”