NJ local move with Allstate Moving & Transfer: follow up

Our open community forum is for general moving related questions, comments, and useful information about local and interstate moves.
blangga

NJ local move with Allstate Moving & Transfer: follow up

Postby blangga » Sat Aug 20, 2005 11:12 am

Hi,
I posted several weeks ago regarding my move from Middlesex to Hudson counties. I ended up going with Allstate moving and storage out of Linden (a Paul Arpin affiliate). They came recommended by University, who was booked for the day I needed.

Allstate was professional all the way. They came to my apartment for in person estimate, all the charges were clearly explained. In addition to the hourly rate, only packaging of framed pictured would be extra. Mattress and big-screen TV wrapping, as well as wardrobe boxes were provided. Movers showed up on time, and had the apartment packed up in about 2 hours.

At the destination, unloading took about 2.5 hours, and would've been faster if not for some trouble fitting my sofa through a narrow doorway. This had me slightly panicked, but after removing the legs, and the door, they were able to JUST squeeze it though. The final bill ended up being about $300 less than the estimate.

Anyway, although the hourly rate was quite high, I would highly recommend them for peace of mind.

My girlfriend handled mer move separately through Alpha Moving out of Jersey City. Although I was slightly nervous, since their quoted hourly rate was quite low and estimates were only given via phone and e-mail, she had no issues with her move. I had seen previous negatives about this company on the forum, however, she had no difficulties with them.

B

Diane

Re: NJ local move: follow up

Postby Diane » Sat Aug 20, 2005 11:34 am

Thanks so much for the report. Out of curiosity, what was the hourly rate? What was the total cost? Was Allstate the company that was requiring a 6-hour minimum?

Also, did you ever contact Birardi or the Wheaton agents we were discussing? I am just trying to learn as much as possible to help the next person better.
Diane
Check out domestic companies on this thread. Click here for a detailed, authoritative article on international moving.

blangga

Postby blangga » Sat Aug 20, 2005 12:04 pm

Diane,

If I remember correctly, it was $148 per hour. The total cost was a little over $1000. Birardi was booked, and I think the Wheaton agent was booked as well. Are you familiar at all with Allstate? I think they have been around a long time.

They didn't mention a minimum number of hours; his estimate was 7 hr based on his inspection of my place, but said that was probably overkill. His quote was for over $1300, which seemed high, but on par with what I had gotten from Simonik (they had given the 7 hour minimum).

Let me know if you'd like more info.

Brian

Diane

Postby Diane » Sat Aug 20, 2005 3:53 pm

Hi Brian,

No, I hadn't heard of Allstate before, but if University recommended them that's a very good sign. They are an agent of Paul Arpin Van Lines, as you said. Here is their contact information that I got off the Internet:

Allstate Moving & Transfer Co.
Phone 908-474-0007
Address 1333 W. Edgar Road
Linden, NJ 07036
Website www.allstatemoving.com
NJ License Number 00041PC

The website says that they are a family-run company that has been in business for 50 years and that they move people in their own trucks between Maine and FL and use Arpin's trucks to move people to other states. Allstate is a company that I'm going to keep in mind and I thank you for bringing it to my attention. I changed the topic title to include the name of the company so people can find the review more easily.

Also, if your girlfriend would like to write a review of Alpha Moving (or give you details that you can post for her), that would be very welcome. The bad review that I remember of Alpha was for an interstate move where they brokered it out to some other company. Maybe they are OK for local moves. We try to be fair on this website and if Alpha performed well locally we would like to know about it so we can tell people that in the future.

Return to “Open Community”