Rockville, Maryland local move

Our open community forum is for general moving related questions, comments, and useful information about local and interstate moves.
dendrite

Rockville, Maryland local move

Postby dendrite » Mon Aug 22, 2005 3:43 pm

This is a wonderful forum. I need your help, guys. I plan to move in three weeks from Rockville to Rockville, local move in Maryland. I contacted several movers including the ones recommended at this forum. for three men and one truck, beltway quoted $139/hr; twon & country $150/hr, Jk moving $170/hr. I think those prices are too high. the lowest price is from Good Samaritan Moving & Storage, $85/hr. does anyone hear of good samaritan? or any suggestion on good company with low price? Thanks in advance!

Diane

Re: Rockville, Maryland local move

Postby Diane » Mon Aug 22, 2005 4:03 pm

There's usually a reason for low prices. My advice is to go with Beltway. Don't pinch pennies on something as important as this or you may be very sorry.

MusicMom

Postby MusicMom » Mon Aug 22, 2005 7:32 pm

Good Samaritan is not licensed to move in MD. Maryland requires all movers to ahve interstate licenses, since there is no such thin as a MD state license. They also have a second address in Hollywood, FL, which is a bad area for movers.

Beltway's quote seems reasonable, and they have a great reputation. Those companies all have higher prices because they keep their employees happy with good pay and benifits, costs which get passed on to the consumer. The movers that quote almost half the price probably have new workers, untrained, or even day laborers.

MusicMom

Postby MusicMom » Mon Aug 22, 2005 7:38 pm

Well, I take that back- Good Samaritan IS licensed, using the FL address. The physical address is in FL, but the business address is in MD. LONG commute, don't you think? The Baltimore address is a house, and only was put on record in April. The VP, Ayfer Sahin, was involved in Navigator moving, a failed company from a few years ago. Everything about this company stinks.

dendrite

Postby dendrite » Mon Aug 22, 2005 10:12 pm

Thanks for your reply, guys. Below is the address of good samaritan that comes with their email:
13009 Oliverwood Rd
Baltimore, MD 21220
Toll Free: 1-866-734-6683 Ext. 704
Fax: 410-510-1465

How about sprint van lines in Rockville? their estimate is $105/hr. As a matter a fact, I used their service one year ago. in general, it's OK. except two things that I don't like: first, the foreman insisted using a special box to wrap my microwave oven, which means extra charge for the wrapping material. otherwise he refused to take it. I wanted them to use blankets to protect it, which is free. at last, I had to transport it by myself because I didn't want the extra charge; second,
I had a mattress that I wanted them to throw it away, but my condo didn't have a place to handle this big stuff. The foreman also refused, he said he couldn't find a place on their way back. therefore, I had to put it in my storage bin. so I have a complex feeling about them and not sure if I should use their service again. How do you think?

dendrite88

Postby dendrite88 » Wed Aug 24, 2005 9:57 am

MusicMommy and other helpers,

I posted the address of good samaritan mover in my last message. so it's company located in baltimore, not FL. does that sound right?
Also, I mentioned the two things I was not satisfied with Sprint van lines. Do you think other companies with good reputation (like beltway or town & country movers) will handle my requests differently? or they will do exactly the same as what sprint van lines did?
Thanks,

MusicMom

Postby MusicMom » Wed Aug 24, 2005 10:44 am

I posted the address of good samaritan mover in my last message. so it's company located in baltimore, not FL. does that sound right?

The comapny is actually located in FL, that's where their license and incorporation is. But both the address in FL and the one in Blatimore are for the own'er's houses, not warehouses or offices. Their BBB record was opened this February, when they became members, and they've already had a complaints since then. I think this company should be avoided.

Also, I mentioned the two things I was not satisfied with Sprint van lines. Do you think other companies with good reputation (like beltway or town & country movers) will handle my requests differently? or they will do exactly the same as what sprint van lines did?

I think either Beltway, T&C, or JK would treat you better than Sprint. I have not read any complaints against any of those companies, and they have been around for years and years (Beltway since 1961). They are more expensive because they pay their workers a higher salary, plus benifits, so the workers have the incentive to stay around for a long time. This means their workers are more experienced and happier, meaning better jobs done for the custoemr (and no, I don't work for any of them, if you think I'm an advertisement ). Sprint is still relatively new, and based on what you posted from your last move, you do not seem 100% happy with their job done.

dendrite

Postby dendrite » Wed Aug 24, 2005 3:07 pm

Thanks, musicmom. after consideration, i decide to choose Beltway. today i gave them a call and got an estimation of 4 and half hours work. I'll post my experience after the work is done.

Postby Guest » Tue Sep 20, 2005 11:09 am

FYI -- Good Samaritan Movers, Inc. is based in Atlanta, Georgia. Good Samaritan Moving & Storage is based in MD or DE.

MusicMom

Postby MusicMom » Tue Sep 20, 2005 1:36 pm

You are right.
Georgia one is DOT 1004244
Maryland/Florida is DOT 1083708.

Rick

Postby Rick » Tue Sep 20, 2005 9:52 pm

Give Thomas AAA Moving & Storage, 7561 Lindbergh Dr, Gaithersburg, MD 20879 Phone:(301) 330-8500. They were recently purchased by JK but are a lot closer to Rockville than Beltway or JK.

MusicMom

Postby MusicMom » Tue Sep 20, 2005 9:56 pm

They are licensed under the name JK Moving of Maryland now, but I think they still use the name Thomas AAA in advertising. At least last I looked.

Rick

Postby Rick » Tue Sep 20, 2005 10:10 pm

Either way they are good little, clean company with ethics. In the same class as Beltway.

dcgal

Re: Good Samaritan Moving and Storage (MD)

Postby dcgal » Fri Sep 30, 2005 7:36 pm

My friend used GOod samaritan (MD) and he thought they were great. I got to admit that they are relatively cheaper than the other companies and I wonder why.... is it because they are small? Anyone used it before?

MusicMom

Postby MusicMom » Fri Sep 30, 2005 8:56 pm

Read above about Good Samaritan in MD. Shady to me.

Return to “Open Community”