Moving from South NJ to Philadelphia, any suggestions?

Our open community forum is for general moving related questions, comments, and useful information about local and interstate moves.

Moving from South NJ to Philadelphia, any suggestions?

Postby Guest » Sun Aug 21, 2005 11:25 pm

I live in southern NJ and am moving in the next month to Center City Philadelphia. While this is technically an interstate move the total distance is only about 10-15 miles. I am considering hiring a mover mostly to get some heavy furniture items to the destination. Is there anywhere to go for help finding a reputable mover that will help me out reliably and affordably?

MusicMom

Re: Moving from South NJ to Philadelphia, any suggestions?

Postby MusicMom » Sun Aug 21, 2005 11:28 pm

The mover may do this as an hourly move, some will file an exception to their tarriffs allowing them to do this as a local move across state lines.

How much furniture are you needing moved? A few pieces? Your whole house? Would you feel OK with hiring loaders to put the heavy pieces in a truck that you drive and they unload again? You'd just be paying for the guys by the hour, not a full-service mover. Or are you preferring to pay the price needed to thoroughly pack and load all of your stuff?

palidor42

Postby palidor42 » Mon Aug 22, 2005 12:39 am

My original post didn't show up under my username, but anyway...

I'm moving a 1-bedroom apartment. Some of the heavier stuff I'm wavering on getting rid of (bed, chest of drawers, dresser, two couches and a chair) and some I would like to keep (coffee table, TV stand, bookcases).

The "they load, you drive" option looks appealing because of the cost and because it's unlikely the larger carriers would be interested in helping me move, but I hate driving larger vehicles, especially in southern NJ/Philly traffic.

Diane

Postby Diane » Mon Aug 22, 2005 12:48 am

Someone doing a NY to Boston move told me that she was considering renting a two-passenger cargo van (Ford Econoline or similar) from Enterprise for a day. A friend was going to go with her and then drive the van back, since Enterprise doesn't do one-way rentals. She said that the cargo van drives almost like a car. Might be something to consider if all you have is small furniture items and boxes. You could actually make several trips back and forth and move MOST of your furniture in the van since your distance is so short. If you can find the right loader guys, one or more could go with you in the cargo van.

Rick

Postby Rick » Mon Aug 22, 2005 4:19 am

While your move technically involves interstate tranportation, a local mover may be able to legally provide the service if you are relocating within the same commercial or exempt intracity zone around Philadelphia. Craigslist is full of such companies. Philly has a bad reputation for lousy movers, however, so ask for references and choose someone who has been around awhile.

weem

Postby weem » Mon Aug 22, 2005 8:40 am

Look around Hammonton and Egg Harbor city for a few legit movers---or get labor from labor ready in the phone book and rent a small truck as suggested above.

Diane

Postby Diane » Mon Aug 22, 2005 11:03 am

A couple of other ideas:- since you're so near Philadelphia, there's a company there called Action Enterprises that has a good review on this messageboard. I don't think the guy is licensed for interstate, but as Rick says, that might not be necessary in your case. See this thread for contact information - http://www.movingscam.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=2908 Also, workers from a high-rated company found through www.emove.com might come with their own vehicle. I don't usually recommend hiring people who advertise on Craigs List. One person posting here chose a mover from the List in the NY metro area who turned out to be a borderline criminal.

palidor42

Postby palidor42 » Mon Aug 22, 2005 11:43 pm

Thanks for the suggestions, everyone. I'll give Action a call. Another company that was recommended to me by a coworker is Cherry Hill Moving & Storage (actually located in nearby Moorestown). It's been in business since the 1960's and supposedly has a pretty good reputation.

Return to “Open Community”