Pittsburgh mover

Our open community forum is for general moving related questions, comments, and useful information about local and interstate moves.

Pittsburgh mover

Postby Guest » Fri Jun 25, 2004 5:23 pm

:cry:

Anyone heard anything about Don Farr Moving & Storage in Pittsburgh, PA?

They check out through the BBB and SaferSys.org, but since I would be using them for storage and interstate transit, I want to make certain they are reputable.

I'd appreciate hearing from you.

Elmo

Diane

Re: Pittsburgh mover

Postby Diane » Fri Jun 25, 2004 6:05 pm

I recommend that you sign up as a member so you can send and receive private messages, then send a message to the person posting here as "IMP" asking what she knows about this company.

Michael

Postby Michael » Sat Jun 26, 2004 8:15 am

Keep in mind that even the most reputable moving company can be a nightmare for you. Just happens you get the cranky driver, or someone new in the crew to pack that isnt fully trained and such. So your concern isnt as much being scammed as it is quality (which is important).

I guess my point is not every move goes smooth. So in any case you should always be flexible and on top of your game as far as what you should and need to know about any mover.

Best of luck,
Michael

Forget yourself for others and the others will never forget

IMP

Postby IMP » Sat Jun 26, 2004 9:21 am

Have you seen their facility? I recommend going to their site (unannounced?) to look it over, and perhaps asking your rep for the name and address of a move in progress that you could just go stand outside the house and watch the crew work for a while. This can help you make an informed decision.

Diane

Postby Diane » Sat Jun 26, 2004 9:45 am

Elmo,

You say that Don Farr Moving & Storage checks out with the BBB. This is what its BBB report actually says:

Better Business Bureau reports are based on activity from the past three years, during which time the BBB has received complaints of the company's handling of damage claims. The company has responded to complaints brought to its attention by the Bureau by offering settlements for damages under provisions of the insurance coverage that the customer selected.

Reading between the lines, what I take from this is that (1) there have been damage claims, and (2) the company has pointed out to customers with such claims that they opted not to purchase additional valuation coverage beyond the basic 60 cents a pound. I admit, I am speculating here, but if I were you I would take IMP's advice to visit their warehouse and observe a move in progress. Make sure that they will take good care of your things and are not simply a bunch of gladhanders.

Also, how did you hear about this company?

chessimprov

Postby chessimprov » Mon Aug 22, 2005 11:39 pm

People who generally are moving out of Pittsburgh hear of Don Farr because their ads in the phone book brag about how they help move the Pittsburgh Steelers, Penguins, and Pirates. They have big ads and generally charge super expensive, like about 1.5 times what other carriers may charge.

palidor42

Postby palidor42 » Wed Aug 24, 2005 11:48 pm

I moved from Pittsburgh to Cherry Hill NJ a year ago and had a good experience with George Moving (North American) of Zelienople. They charged around $2200 to move my one-bedroom apartment that distance, and they moved it the morning after they picked up. Didn't notice anything broken.

dafix

Postby dafix » Thu Oct 09, 2008 3:46 pm

Don Farr has the sports teams on there for a reason they do move them. You can call them up or even call the teams and they'll give you an impressive list of everyone they have moved. Trust me I know the owner.

Also Since they aren't a member of a vanline they are very flexible with their pricing I've even seen some of thier ads boast "Meet or Beat on all interstate moves"

Finally the DOT has regulations on vehicle maintenance wouldn't one think if the trucks weren't up to stuff they wouldn't be operating.

Also in PA all employees are required to have a background check and drivers are required that the company gets info from the previous 3 employers so they would know if they guys weren't any good right away.

HERE WE GO STEELERS!

rydog444

Postby rydog444 » Thu Oct 09, 2008 7:29 pm

Boy, Donald A Fix, you really aren't too bright. You're posting as a non company employee when you are in fact the owner of Don Farr Moving and Storage. I think your BBB record speaks for itself.

http://pittsburgh.e-asp.net/NIS4/bbbrep ... 0000002624

Oh, were you going to say something bad about the company that you own?
My job is to give the best domestic and international moving services to my corporate clients by using the best movers in the world, regardless of vanline affiliation.

farrah7031

Postby farrah7031 » Thu Oct 09, 2008 7:53 pm

The BBB processed a total of 62 complaints about this business in the last 36 months, our standard reporting period

MusicMom

Postby MusicMom » Thu Oct 09, 2008 7:57 pm

I don't understand why being the "official mover" of a sports team means a mover is good. Isn't this something one can buy the recognition of? I seem to remember a pro saying that one mover claimed this distinction, but the team in question had never actually used them.

I'm glad Rydog has commented on all three of your psots, because it saves us the time of removing the advertisements. If you want to write about your company, have the guts to write as yourself, don't pretend to be a layperson.

More than the BBB report, I don't like seeing on the ProtectYourMove report that Don's company has had Hostage Load complaints?

Jim

Postby Jim » Thu Oct 09, 2008 9:56 pm

More than the BBB report, I don't like seeing on the ProtectYourMove report that Don's company has had Hostage Load complaints?

All we need are a few Rip Off Report complaints and in MHO, this company could vie for the Triple Crown of Scam Moving.
It's Sunny Somewhere In The World

dafix

Postby dafix » Fri Oct 10, 2008 10:50 am

Actually Its not Donald A Fix and I am sure the organization can attest to that.

Actually a competitor here in Pennsylvania.

As far as any BBB record is concerned if you ever actually go to it. They say please reflect upon the number of total jobs a company might handle. Its really not a very accurate depiction. I even once read that a company as large as Kodak has left the BBB because they felt the practices were unfair and unrepresentative of the company and they were one of the founding members.

http://www.usnews.com/usnews/biztech/ar ... laints.htm

Also every complaint appears to be responded to.

rydog444

Postby rydog444 » Fri Oct 10, 2008 12:31 pm

So, enlighten me, what does your username stand for? That is quite a coincidence. Also, what competitor do you work for? Why would you come to this site to defend another company, without writing anything about your own company?

I'd really like to know what company you work for.
My job is to give the best domestic and international moving services to my corporate clients by using the best movers in the world, regardless of vanline affiliation.

haast29

Postby haast29 » Sat Dec 27, 2008 1:27 am

Estimate that was given to me was between $500-900. It turns out to be $2261. When I called Don Farr office for and explanation and invoice they said that it took them 13.5 hrs, at $110 per hour, for 4 men, to pack the 3 bedroom ranch style home. They also told me that they arrived at 9:15AM and left at 9:45PM. If my math serves me well, this is clearly 12 1/2 hrs. When I asked about it, Rob (works for Don Farr) counted the "traveling time" too. After talking to my client that was at home during entire move she informed me that the workers were very slow, they ordered Pizzas and ate for over 1hr which they should. I just don't feel that I have to pay for their lunch hour in the amount of $110. The fiasco goes on in my conversation with Rob. I was quoted up to $900 but no more, I was given my info to them (2 fax #'s, no invoices came through), a cell phone for billing issues was given. I offered to Rob that if 13.5 hrs at $110= $1485 I was willing to pay this amount since unexpected things happen and I understood the extra fees as long as they're reasonable. Rob offered to lower my bill from $2261 to around $2000. I said its too much and its not fair deal, I did not authorize this high amount and wanted to negotiate down to $1500. He said no way and I informed Rob that I'm filling the dispute with my American Express. Rob said: "I'll see you in court "explicit language" and Rob hang up the phone.
Now, If I'm going to pay the fair amount then I would pay only for 11.5 hrs at $110 per hour that equals $1265. I will make them an offer again.
Since Rob was generous in his "choice of words", I'm posting the same complaint in every possible website that I can find. I'm in real estate business and working with many real estate agents. I will make sure not to recommend Don Farr to any of them. Don Farr is not the part of BBB and complaints cannot be handled through them. Therefore people, here me out: "Do Not Use Don Farr for your moving services!". Thank You Very Much for Listening...

Return to “Open Community”