Need a reputable mover

Our open community forum is for general moving related questions, comments, and useful information about local and interstate moves.
Jessica

Need a reputable mover

Postby Jessica » Sun Aug 28, 2005 9:40 am

Hello!

I am moving from NYC to the Tampa Bay Area in Florida. I need to find a good, reputable mover. Thankfully your black list kept me from using one of the scammers, but I'm still having trouble finding a good one.

FYI:

We need help getting everything out of the house and into the truck. I'm 19, my little brother is 12, my mom has Rhumatoid Arthritis and my grandparents are in their 80's. We're the last leg of the family to move so we don't have anyone to help us.

We would like to pack most of the things ourselves but we have three large antique pieces of furniture plus some electric equipment. Is it possible to have a company pack only some of our things?

We have two pickup locations: my house and my grandparents house. Unfortunately my grandparent's home is a 6 flight walkup (which is why we need help). I know this factors into the price but I'm hoping I won't get stuck with a moving company that will groan and moan about it extensively (which one of the "bad" companies did over the phone :shock:)

Any advice, recommendations, etc? I've lived in the same place my entire life and no one in my family has moved in the past 30 years so we're pretty much novices.

Diane

Re: Need a reputable mover

Postby Diane » Sun Aug 28, 2005 10:18 am

Hi Jessica - you might want to look at my Epinions article linked to below for a general orientation and discussion of some companies that have had good comments and reviews on MovingScam.com.

Many reputable companies move people between NYC and Florida. Whether you choose an agent of a major van line or an independent company, I recommend that you try to find a company that will move you direct using its own truck and driver. In other words, the truck that picks up your things should be the same one that delivers them. This minimizes the chance of damage and delay.

The two companies that have performed best for the greatest number of people posting here are University Van Lines (Atlas) in Rahway, NJ, and All Star Moving (independent) in Brooklyn. Contact information and reviews are in the Epinions article. Note that since I wrote the article, additional positive reviews have come in for both companies -

http://www.movingscam.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=3063 (University) - see two moves to FL reported on the last page
http://www.movingscam.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=2038 (All Star) - a move to FL is reported on the second page

Other NY metro area van line agents with good reviews and comments here are Dahill (Mayflower), Molloy (Mayflower), and Hall-Lane (United). All companies would pack just a few items for you if that's what you want. Personally I would rule out any company that groans about the 6th floor walkup before it even gets there. Bad sign. (How do your grandparents cope with it, incidentally?)

All Star would probably be more expensive than an agent of a major van line because they would send a dedicated truck with only your things on it--others have said that they have quoted around $5000 for a move similar to yours. However, I feel that you would get excellent service and peace of mind with them.
Diane
Check out domestic companies on this thread. Click here for a detailed, authoritative article on international moving.

Rick

Postby Rick » Sun Aug 28, 2005 10:19 am

Jessica,

Before we get into the discussion about moving, I want to compliment you for your efforts on behalf of your family. Your involement and concern shows an amazing amount of maturity and love.

As you've already discovered, there are a lot of shady companies that operate in and around NYC. You're smart to be careful. There are also many very good, reputable companies that service your market - some are members of this site.

It would help to know how much is being moved from each location (ie number of rooms), where each residence is located. access restrictions (ie parking, stairs, elevators, etc) and your budget for arranging the move for you mother and grandparents.

Best wishes and good luck!

Jessica

Postby Jessica » Sun Aug 28, 2005 10:54 am

Wow, thanks for the quick replies! :D

My grandparents apartment is actually on the second floor, but it's an old fashioned building so there's a landing, door number 1, 2 flights/landings, door number 2, 4 flights/landings and then the apartment door. Crazy, I know. It's a lot of work for my ailing grandparents (and my mom too!) which is why we're all going to move in together into a 4 bedroom house in Pinellas Park, FL.

Thank you for your recommendations! I've heard good things about All Star particularly. I'll add those moving companies to my notes and contact them this week for quotes.

Before we get into the discussion about moving, I want to compliment you for your efforts on behalf of your family. Your involvement and concern shows an amazing amount of maturity and love.

Thank you! :)

Calculating all our things is hard because it's two homes but we're leaving a lot behind. All in all it's 2 wall units, 2 sofas, 4 bookcases, a headboard, a desk, a rocking chair, a dining room set, antiques (china cabinet, buffet and desk) and various computers, stereos, etc. I think the bulk of the move is my family's 30 year accumulation of knick knacks, books, CDs/records, and clothing. And since I'm a teenager, I'll need an extra large box just for my hair and makeup supplies. :lol:

Oh, one more question. My grandmother has a plant that's 24 years old. It has a name, Lila, and is practically considered a family member. Is there any way to get it to our new home?

Thanks for all your help! I really appreciate it.

Diane

Postby Diane » Sun Aug 28, 2005 11:11 am

You're very welcome, Jessica. About Lila, two people have reported recently that Broadway Express drivers transported their plants and even watered them on the way (see BE reviews #120 and 129). Your question reminded me that another option could be for you to use Broadway Express but also hire All Star Moving to pack the items you're especially concerned about and load the truck for you at the two locations. They have done this for a couple of NYC people posting here. Frankly, I don't think All Star makes much money on this and I believe they're doing it more or less as a favor to people posting on this website. Then in FL you could hire workers from Labor Ready, eMove.com, or a moving company to unload the items.

Jessica

Postby Jessica » Tue Sep 06, 2005 6:21 pm

Hello again!

Bill from University Van Lines will be coming by to do an in house estimate on Friday. It's imposible for me to take anyoen to my grandmother's at the moment. Do you think he'll be able to swing a quote with pictures and descriptions. We're only taking a few things from my grandmother's home so I hope it's not a problem.

I will be calling All Star sometime this week to see if they'd be willing to move me as well.

I know they say you should get at least three estimates so I'll call Rosa Del Monte as well. My aunt used them and had an overall okay review of them: some of her glass was broken and her furniture arrived later than expected. Normally I'd take that as a somewhat negative review BUT my aunt gave them the wrong address (twice) and because I helped her pack I know she didn't pad anything with paper or use bubble wrap. :shock: So, in my opinion, the moving company couldn't take the blame on that one.

I've gotten two other companies offer in home estimates. They're not on the black list, but seem fishy anyway.

Thanks for the help guys. I'll keep you updated.

Diane

Postby Diane » Tue Sep 06, 2005 9:52 pm

Hi - I don't think it will be a problem for Bill Quigley to give you an estimate without seeing those few items, but be prepared for it to be on the high side. If your experience is like those of others, you may well end up paying much less than the estimate.

I think All Star will probably be too expensive for you because their estimate will almost certainly be even higher than University's. If you're going to use All Star, I would use them only to load and use Broadway Express for the actual move.

We looked into La Rosa del Monte in the past and thought it was "sort of" OK - http://www.movingscam.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=2219 I assume it's the one in the Bronx.

Jessica

Postby Jessica » Fri Sep 09, 2005 12:11 pm

I just met with Scott from University Van Lines. I accidently locked us out of the house! He was very kind about it and quite funny. He began telling me about the company before we got into the house so by the time we got inside I felt quite reassured.

Anyway, he was extremely thorough and had a lot of helpful information. He told us how to pack things, how certain things should be wrapped, what the company would provide, etc. The grand totals came out to 7300lbs for $5900. This is with them doing partial packing (the fine china, all the glass, etc).

I think he might have overestimated the weight but he said he preferred to have nice surprises than bad ones and I agree. He was also quick to mention that if we decided not to take anything or to pack something University was supposed to pack, he would not charge us for it. He said it would be a University truck that does the move unless something comes up. We do need a shuttle though. One thing I did forget to ask about were the flights of stairs. I'm going to call him back sometime today to ask about that.

My estimate from them was NOT GNTE but he explained that that was because we were not able to see my grandmother's house. That's perfectly fine with my family.

Oh and he mentioned Movingscam.com many times and he even said that they were opening a new office in Brooklyn because of all the buzz this site has generated. He was very impressed with my knowledge (that I got from this site lol) so I think University will treat us well just because they really care for their reputation.

If you have any questions, feel free to ask.

Diane

Postby Diane » Fri Sep 09, 2005 12:19 pm

Thanks for the good initial report on University. I hope to meet the owners when I go to NYC on a business trip in November. Please do keep us posted about how your move goes. That seems like a fair price and hopefully it will go down. Now the only thing I'm worried about is Lila. :)
Diane
Check out domestic companies on this thread. Click here for a detailed, authoritative article on international moving.

Jessica

Postby Jessica » Fri Sep 09, 2005 12:24 pm

Yes, my family has talked about Lila. Besides Lila and the other plants we have 11 pets. I'm sure some of them will go on the plane rides with my family members but some of them, like the birds and turtle, can't according the airlines. So, I forsee Lila taking a long car ride down to FL along with some animal friends.

Jessica

Postby Jessica » Mon Sep 12, 2005 1:37 pm

I have decided to call Dahill and Molloy to also give me estimates. Someone from Molloy will be here on Thursday.

As for Dahill...After spending a bit of time going back and forth, a receptionist was finally able to connect me with someone to make an appointment. At this point I had been on hold for a while and kept hearing the same recordning message "Dahill strives for quality...we'll move you anywhere...we service Florida, New England, California and everywhere in between..." So I finally speak to the guy and you know what he says? "Oh, we don't do the Bronx." :lol: I had to laugh. He did give me the number of a Mayflower company that would do the move. Meyers, I believe. Any info on them? Should I bother, you think?

I still might call Hall-Lane and Rosa Del Monte. I'll see what my mother says.

I love this board. Thanks so much!! :)

Diane

Postby Diane » Mon Sep 12, 2005 2:08 pm

That's interesting. I didn't know that Dahill doesn't do the Bronx . . . although it apparently does everywhere else in the world, as you say. I know that Gold Service Movers (Wheaton) in Westchester County doesn't do Brooklyn. Go figure. No, don't bother with Meyer's. It used to be OK but was sold to questionable people and now it's not so hot. You can do a search on the name (use Meyer) to see what's been said about it.

I feel more secure about Hall-Lane than about La Rosa del Monte.

Rick

Postby Rick » Mon Sep 12, 2005 7:35 pm

Jessica,

Give Dun-Rite Movers a call. They are a Wheaton agent in the Bronx, however they do have their own opeating authority under US DOT #58017; MC #: 236860. Make sure you determine which carrier's operating authority they would perform the move under.

Dun-Rite Movers, Inc.
1546 Minford Place
Bronx, NY 10460
Phone: (718)589-5260 or 800-362-3066
Fax: (718)378-6232
Email: info@dunritemovers.com or Dun-Rite@wvlcorp.com
http://www.dunritemovers.com

Both Wheaton and United (Hall-Lane) rate their agents on a quarterly basis. Ask each about their latest performance ratings results. From an industry perspective, both are about equal although neither is a stong van line agent.

Jessica

Postby Jessica » Thu Sep 15, 2005 8:13 pm

Lou from Molloy Bros. came over today. He was very polite, very funny, nice, etc etc. Now let's get down to the nitty gritty:

We have 6000lbs of things, according to him (which is 1300 less than United!).

With packing/supplies/etc: $5700
Without: $4500

I was impressed he gave me the new Rules and Regulations book (50 pages or so. That's the new one, right?). Also they don't charge for stairs or anything (don't know if United does. I have to call tomorrow). Lou was very eager to answer questions and I asked him the same questions I ask everyone. He wouldn't give me a direct answer as to whether it would use it's own truck though.

So even with an almost full pack, it's less than United. :o Here's what worries me: What if United's weight estimate/container estimate was more accurate than Molloys? If so, then the weight of my move would be more than 6000lbs which means my cost would go up.

Also, is it common for the company to charge your credit card when they pick up your things? Molloy does, apparently.

I still have Hall-Lane to schedule and meet with. I'm surprised none of these companies have balked the idea of dealing with a 19 year old.

Diane

Postby Diane » Thu Sep 15, 2005 9:03 pm

Hi Jessica -

Both of your quotes are Nonbinding because of the estimator not being able to see your grandparents' stuff, but this is what you said:

University (not United): Estimated 7300 lbs for $5900, including partial packing (the fine china, all the glass, etc).

Molloy: Estimated 6000 lbs for $5700, also with partial packing.

This means that University is probably giving you a higher discount. There should be a percentage somewhere on your paperwork, something like 60%. That is your discount. In general, the higher the discount the better (within reason). Also, if University said it would probably haul your shipment that is a big plus. If Molloy evaded answering, my guess is that the answer is probably no.

Let's see what Hall-Lane says, but so far I think University sounds better.

Return to “Open Community”