Moving to CA

Our open community forum is for general moving related questions, comments, and useful information about local and interstate moves.
Nebraska

Moving to CA

Postby Nebraska » Wed Sep 07, 2005 8:50 pm

I am moving to the Los Angeles area in October and have receive to local in house estimates. These two companies were Buck's Moving and Borley moving. One uses Atlas Van Lines and the other Mayflower.
I also receive a quote based on 6 feet in ABF U pack truck. I am not sure if these are good companies. I see ABF is rated high but for only $400 more I get the movers to pack everything. I am worried about packing and the huge truck at my place for ABF. Any tips or suggestions. Also I only have between 1200 and 1500 lbs to move.

Diane

Re: Moving to CA

Postby Diane » Wed Sep 07, 2005 8:53 pm

I have no personal familiarity with either of the moving companies that you mention. However, one thing to keep in mind is that the ABF minimum is now 5 feet so you should not have to pay for 6 feet. You have much less than 6 feet--probably about 3 feet. You could be a candidate for the ABF mobile storage containers (see ABF review #23) if they are available in your area. I agree that it would be much more convenient to go with a full-service company if you can afford it.

Rick

Re: Moving to CA

Postby Rick » Thu Sep 08, 2005 9:46 pm

Borley's has been a Mayflower agent for several decades and has a fairly good reputation as a small local mover.

One of Mayflower's largest hauling agents, Select Van and Storage, is based in Omaha. They also have offices in Lincoln, Des Moines, and Kansas City. Their trucks routinely run to the west coast and their drivers are some of the highest rated in the Mayflower fleet. They could probably give you a phone estimate for comparison purposes.

http://www.movingservices.com/selectvan/form.htm

SELECT VAN & STORAGE CO.
8006 J STREET
OMAHA, NE 68127
Phone: (402) 331-2232
Fax: (402) 331-3212
Toll Free: (800) 825-0633

Good Luck!

Return to “Open Community”