Anyone use FixedPrice Moving Systems?

Our open community forum is for general moving related questions, comments, and useful information about local and interstate moves.
ElenaMoves

Anyone use FixedPrice Moving Systems?

Postby ElenaMoves » Tue Jul 26, 2005 5:06 pm

Hi,

I am trying to move from New York City to Austin, TX. FixedPrice (www.fixedpricemoving.com, US Dot # 961903) gave me a reasonable quote... but they quoted in cubic feet. Technically, I know the exact number of cubic feet, since the stuff I am moving is tightly packed into a storage room. Has anyone had any experience with this company?

Thanks,

~Elena

Diane

Re: Anyone use FixedPrice Moving Systems?

Postby Diane » Tue Jul 26, 2005 5:25 pm

Prior thread on Fixed Price (MC #410399) - http://www.movingscam.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=1376
They gave a lowball estimate to someone on this thread - http://www.movingscam.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=3255
Don't use any company that quotes by cubic feet.
Diane
Check out domestic companies on this thread. Click here for a detailed, authoritative article on international moving.

ElenaMoves

Postby ElenaMoves » Tue Jul 26, 2005 5:50 pm

Thanks for the heads up.

I checked out both ABF and Broadway (since I have a really tight budget), but their minimums are 6 linear feet and 10 linear feet, respectively. I only have about 200 cubic feet (which fits in in 3 linear feet), so I don't think they are an option.

Does anyone know of any other reputable "you pack, we drive" movers with smaller minimums?

Diane

Postby Diane » Tue Jul 26, 2005 6:45 pm

Help-U-Move has a 3 linear foot minimum in some parts of the country, but I think it would be very difficult to use it in NYC because they have to drop off a trailer. We have one review - http://www.movingscam.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=5112

I would suggest that you get a quote from the packaging service Box Brothers at www.boxbros.com, and if that's still too high, consider selling your furniture and just mailing boxes to yourself and buying new furniture in Austin. We have one review - http://www.movingscam.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=4999

Also, bear in mind that you may have gotten a lowball estimate from Fixed Price--you may actually have more than 300 cubic feet (2100 pounds).

Tyrone

Postby Tyrone » Wed Jul 27, 2005 12:55 am

It doesn't matter if you know exactly how many cubic feet your shipment takes up in real life. The moving company is allowed to claim that you have ANY number of cubic feet and you must pay whatever they say. If the charges are based on cubic feet, the moving company has no obligation to substantiate their claim, and you have no right to appeal their fee.

This is why you should immediately eliminate any moving company that even OFFERS you pricing based on cubic feet.

**The sole exception is the you-pack/we-drive option offered by companies such as ABF, Broadway Express, and United ValueMove. These companies do pricing by the linear foot. It can be confusing but in this extremely limited example it is ok. The service is not a full service move so it is a different type of "animal" entirely.
Dominus amotioni capitis e clunibus sum.

Postby Guest » Mon Sep 12, 2005 11:04 pm

I used them to move from NY to Chicago. Moved a one bedroom apt with a couch, full bed, desk, dresser, clothes and kitchen items. Total charge was 2000. No hidden costs, but the mover that arrived did not have the second page of the inventory list, but did have (almost) all the items on the manifest. The desk arrived completely wrecked. When I called to complain and ask what to do about it, the dispatcher was quite rude and wouldn't be reasonable with me. Overall, I guess it was ok. I would imagine there are better movers out there though. I was not impressed and would not use them again unless I was strapped for cash and didn't have anything breakable.

nyaccent

Postby nyaccent » Tue Sep 13, 2005 8:59 am

Diane mentioned that 300 cu ft equal 2100 pounds. You could have 300 cu ft of books or 300 cub ft of feathers. Wouldn't the books weigh more? Also when a mover gave me a weight guestimate over the phone, they are coming on site the end of the week, they based all the boxes on 30 pounds. How can they determine the weight to give an estimate if all the boxes aren't packed yet and they all have different stuff in them.

Diane

Postby Diane » Tue Sep 13, 2005 11:33 am

The moving industry uses 7 pounds per cubic foot as its standard for household goods (law of averages: books vs. feathers). Individual sales reps modify this when they see that a person's boxes are heavier or lighter--usually heavier--than average. For example, I think that many reps estimate book boxes at around 45 pounds each.

nyaccent

Postby nyaccent » Tue Sep 13, 2005 10:04 pm

Hall-Lane estimated all boxes to be 30 pounds. Right now I have about 15 Rubbermaid containers packed and a couple of small boxes. He also calculated my dishes and glasses in the box estimate. I don't know if you remember one of my posts when i said i expected to pay only $1200 for my move. Lol, well i have now raised my expected $$$$$ to be close to $2000. At least now I know I will have a reputable mover do the moving. Again Diane, you were right. :D

Return to “Open Community”