Hall-Lane Movers out of commack ny

Our open community forum is for general moving related questions, comments, and useful information about local and interstate moves.

Hall-Lane Movers out of commack ny

Postby Guest » Fri Sep 09, 2005 9:22 pm

Diane, u suggested hall-lane as one of the companies u didn't hear any complaints about. They seem to be pretty good. I went to their website and nowhere in the website do they give their MC or DOT #. How do i find those numbers out so i can check them out.

Diane

Re: Hall-Lane Movers out of commack ny

Postby Diane » Fri Sep 09, 2005 11:25 pm

They are probably using the license numbers for United Van Lines, since they are a United agent. Call them to ask.

Postby Guest » Sat Sep 10, 2005 7:11 am

thank you, i will probably monday

nyaccent

Postby nyaccent » Mon Sep 12, 2005 12:47 pm

I called Hall-Lane this morning and I have an appointment tomorrow for an on site estimate. Just to let others know, they have a minimum of 2100 lbs and for the minimum it would be $1519.

I asked the receptionist what their MC#'s and DOT #'s were. She gave me United Van Lines # being 077949 which when i entered it into safersys it came back invalid. Also she gave me 3882 as being their # which was also an invalid number. Maybe you can find the correct numbers for me as the search by name came up with nothing. I will be sure to ask the man tomorrow when he comes by what the numbers are.

Thanks.
Last edited by nyaccent on Tue Sep 13, 2005 8:48 am, edited 1 time in total.

Rick

Postby Rick » Mon Sep 12, 2005 9:41 pm

nyaccent.

Here are the respective MC and DOT listing for both United and Hall-Lane.

Judging from the mileage recorded for Hall-Lane in 2002, it appears that they handle most of their interstate moving business through their United Van Lines affiliation.

Legal Name: UNITED VAN LINES LLC
DBA Name: UNITED VAN LINES
Physical Address: 1 UNITED DRIVE
FENTON, MO 63026-2535
Phone: (636) 349-3621
Mailing Address: 1 UNITED DRIVE
FENTON, MO 63026-2535
USDOT Number: 77949 State Carrier ID Number:
MC or MX Number: 67234
DUNS Number: 36-440-4293
Power Units: 7,944 Drivers: 5,837
MCS-150 Form Date: 10/06/2004 MCS-150 Mileage (Year): 189,810,000 (2003)

Legal Name: ORIGINAL HALL LANE MOVING & STORAGE CO INC
DBA Name: HALL LANE MOVING & STORAGE CO INC
Physical Address: 67 MALL DR
COMMACK, NY 11725-5703
Phone: (631) 543-6801
Mailing Address: 67 MALL DR
COMMACK, NY 11725-5703
USDOT Number: 25055 State Carrier ID Number:
MC or MX Number: 84242
DUNS Number: 01-139-1505
Power Units: 18 Drivers: 16
MCS-150 Form Date: 05/26/2005 MCS-150 Mileage (Year): 201,879 (2002)

nyaccent

Postby nyaccent » Tue Sep 13, 2005 8:47 am

Thanks Rick for those numbers. As I said they are coming by today between 12 -1 est. I'll post an update later as to what happened. Again I am thanking this site for all the help I have gotten thus far.

nyaccent

Postby nyaccent » Tue Sep 13, 2005 11:13 am

I had the estimate from Hall-Lane this morning. Ralph arrived about 15 minutes early which was nice, I didn't have to wait.

My inventory came in at about 1652 pounds. They do have a 2100 pound minimum. The total cost would be $1587.38 and it does give me the option to pack about 30 or so more boxes.

Ralph was very curious and covered everything that needed to be covered. He answered all my questions. He left me with a packet of pamplets to read including The Your rights and responsibilites when you move book. He told me they wrap the sofa in plastic and I didn't need to box my 27 inch television (which saves me some moneybecause the scammer companies all wanted to sell me a box and pack it for me since I said I couldn't lift it.

Thursday Certified Van Service Inc. (Atlas) is coming and on Friday Ply Con. I will compare the estimates and then post what I find and then hopefully make my decision.

Again I need to say thank you for all of the help I reveiced from this site and the people replying. I am sure without all of your help, I would have fallen into the hands of a scammer.

Diane

Postby Diane » Tue Sep 13, 2005 11:27 am

Try to find out from Hall-Lane and the other companies whether they would haul your shipment to FL using their own truck and driver. From what Rick says, for example, Hall-Lane doesn't do this very much, but it did say that it would do it for someone posting here previously. The sales rep may not be able to predict this, and that's OK.

nyaccent

Postby nyaccent » Tue Sep 13, 2005 10:08 pm

I did ask them if they were going to use their own truck and would the same person who picks up my stuff be the ppl who would be delivering and he said yes to both questions. But when i get the other estimates, I will ask those questions again. Thanks. By the way I did mention to him that I heard about them from this site. I understand they have various locations, but their headquarters are in Commack, New York. I had the Commack office give me the estimate as I am only 15 minutes away from them.

nyaccent

Postby nyaccent » Thu Sep 15, 2005 9:34 am

I just had my second on site estimate. This time to be on the safe side, I added another 13 boxes to move. Certified Van Scv Inc (Atlas) came over and Bill estimated my load to be at 2100 pounds. If I added the extra 13 boxes, which Hall-Lane, estimated 30 pounds per box, I'd be right at the 2100 pounds that Certified said I had.

Certified came in at $1666.58 for the move. He also said that they are going to use their driver and their truck, however the laborers will be different upon loading and unloading. I don't know if that makes much of a difference, cept I'd have to tip twice. What is an acceptable tip for loading 2100 pounds and then unloading it.

Tomorrow plycon comes over. Then I will post back and get some feedback. So far I am pleased with the two companies that came over.

Diane

Postby Diane » Thu Sep 15, 2005 10:19 am

Hi - the reason Certified (and probably also Hall-Lane) would have different workers loading and unloading your things is that it's not cost-effective for them to send a worker or workers to FL with your driver. I think it takes around 5 days to drive there and back and they would have to pay a worker to just sit there in the truck all that time. Instead, the driver will find a worker or workers in FL, probably through another Atlas agent.

I've been told that it's customary in the NY metro area to tip 20% of the total cost of the move for a local move and 15% for a long-distance move. You would have to figure this amount and then divvy it up according to who shows up where. In other words, I think it would be appropriate to tip around 8% at origin and 8% at destination. In cases where the personnel is exactly the same at origin and destination some small companies request that people hold the entire tip and give it at destination, but your case is different.

nyaccent

Postby nyaccent » Thu Sep 15, 2005 12:51 pm

Thanks Diane. I guess i should tip the driver at the destination. I am feeling more comfortable with the move after having these ppl come to the house. I am also comfortable thus far seeing that the estimated weight is pretty close for both companies and the $$$$ isn't far off either. Just curious now to see what plycon comes in at. Since both of the other companies are neck to neck, how do I determine which one to go with? What do I base the final decision on.

Return to “Open Community”