Transit Systems, Inc (TSI)

Our open community forum is for general moving related questions, comments, and useful information about local and interstate moves.
Xenon

Transit Systems, Inc (TSI)

Postby Xenon » Fri Jul 02, 2004 4:28 pm

Has anyone had any experience with Transit Systems, Inc? http://transitsystems.com/ I am moving from California to Georgia. The only items I have that I would really like to take with me are my bed and my couch.

Diane

Re: Transit Systems, Inc

Postby Diane » Fri Jul 02, 2004 5:24 pm

No one has used them and reported back to us, but there is a little bit of discussion of this company on this board under the name "TSI" as you'll see if you do a search. One person was disturbed because he couldn't find a BBB report on them, and I couldn't either. A search on WHOIS shows that the website is registered to someone in Pennsylvania.

I think they are probably similar to ShipSmart and other services that package your goods and send them with ABF or other freight haulers. There is a thread on the issues surrounding this type of service that you might want to look at - http://www.movingscam.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=1595 - and just a couple of days ago "Robert" came on the board to say that he had had a good experience with ShipSmart - http://www.movingscam.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=278

I guess if I were thinking of using a service like this I would tend to go with a better-known name like ShipSmart rather than with TSI. You could also use ABF's terminal-to-terminal option, which has a 3-foot minimum (which is probably about what you have). You have to take your things to a terminal and pick them up there, but the cost is likely to be quite a bit less than Shipsmart or TSI. You could ask for a quote on ABF's website at www.upack.com.
Last edited by Diane on Fri Jul 02, 2004 5:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Tyrone

Postby Tyrone » Fri Jul 02, 2004 5:26 pm

They only do quotes over the telephone and internet... a VERY bad sign. Does not inspire confidence.

I called them today and asked for their DOT # and the sales agent said "I have no idea what you are talking about". YIKES!!!

He suggested I call back in 4 days and ask for "John Track".

Keep looking for another company... it is inexcusable for any moving company to hem, haw or hesitate when asked for their DOT #.
Dominus amotioni capitis e clunibus sum.

Diane

Postby Diane » Fri Jul 02, 2004 5:27 pm

John Track is the person listed on WHOIS as the administrative contact for the website. I still wonder why there is no BBB report on them.

MusicMom

Postby MusicMom » Fri Jul 02, 2004 10:06 pm

Here's their snapshot

They are a broker only, and not even that. Their license was revoked on 11-23-2003. However, they have a current insurance policy, so they are still atempting to operate without Licenses. Ask them about this when you call John Track on Tuesday. In the meantime, look for another company.

MusicMom

Postby MusicMom » Fri Jul 02, 2004 10:24 pm

Hmmm, searching the BBB through all sorts of avenues eventually led me to a report based on the address. TSI/Transit Systems, Inc, shres a suite with the Harper Reed Corporation, in Insurance Sales. Odd. According to a June 29 job listing, "Harper Reed is a fast-growing, entrepreneurial, insurance agency that provides alternative shipping insurance for mail and parcel centers (i.e. Mail Boxes Etc...) as well as manufacturers and distributors throughout the US.". Hmm. Is it common for an insurance company to share office space with the shipping company that it might be insuring? I might be reading too much into it, but I always try to dig up as much info as possible for these little-known guys.

BOS to HOUSTON

Postby BOS to HOUSTON » Thu Sep 15, 2005 5:03 pm

I have used this site....however, didn't see this posting string. Oh Well.

The info that I have to offer is not that bad ( my husband feels otherwise).

TSI had Interstate Moving and STG company for the pickup. The pickup was professional, flexible and seemed decent. I had been trying to get more than ten items shipped and had paid for 14 items at extra cost. Their logic is that they only send a truck of specific dimensions for either 10 or 20 items which must be specified before hand. So far so good.

The dropoff company was EDC Moving Systems. This company was less courteous; they were unwilling to move the furniture into the apartment which had easy dock access and an elevator. A dresser was damaged by lost legs. There was an attempt to hide this by taping plastic pegs in place and covering the dressor with plasitc wrap. A sofa was missing and no explanation was given; no followup was done.

Their insurance with PSI required the origional furniture receipts. Most people will not have this. They reimbursed $300 dollars total. The response given was " more than ten items were shipped and that would account for the lost items. You are lucky to recieve this amount."
Not reassuring that they could not keep track of more than ten items.

Overall, I would not ship items that one does not want lost or damaged with them.

ttrees524

Re: Transit Systems, Inc (TSI)

Postby ttrees524 » Thu Feb 03, 2011 10:43 am

I am familiar with this company as I have used them and they are local to me (Philadelphia area). Maybe this has changed since the initial posts, but they are a BBB member with an A- rating and they are also accredited by the BBB. My friend used to work for The UPS Store and TSI is their approved vendor for large item shipping and very much a respectable business. In logistics, damaged items is in no way considered a SCAM, unfortunately all logistics companies have damage it is a matter of what percent of their freight is damaged. I know TSI upon my research uses the largest and most tenured companies such as Roadway Express, Yellow Freight and their moving agents are agents for Bekins Van Lines, which is one of the largest and oldest moving companies. Trust me when I say that if you had a bad experience with a moving company on your own, you would get a much more unsatisfactory outcome then you would having a broker handle it, since the broker typically provides the carrier with millions of dollars of business and are more likely to get a resolution for you.

BigLeeCalif

Postby BigLeeCalif » Thu Feb 03, 2011 3:34 pm

interesting post 7 yrs after the last post.
"It is better to keep your mouth shut and appear stupid than to open it and remove all doubt" Mark Twain

ttrees524

Postby ttrees524 » Thu Feb 03, 2011 9:07 pm

Well I did a Google search for them for reviews in order to leave good feedback and this is like the 4th result on the first page so regardless of time people could base their decision on this thread. I thought they should know about a good experience as well.

Return to “Open Community”