How do I choose which estimate is the best

Our open community forum is for general moving related questions, comments, and useful information about local and interstate moves.
nyaccent

How do I choose which estimate is the best

Postby nyaccent » Fri Sep 16, 2005 1:51 pm

I have gotten the three estimates.

Hall-Lane (united)was the lowest and their minimum is 2100 pounds at $1587.38. The estimated that I have 1652 pounds, but I forgot to tell them that I would have an additional 12 boxes or so. But that should put me right about at the 2100 lbs. I asked them and the truck that would be picking up my things would say United Hall-Lane and the same driver would be there thru out the trip. My belongings will never leave the truck til destination.

Certified Transportation Group (Atlas) was told about the extra boxes and they estimated that I would have 2100 lbs for a price of $1666.75. Bill said if I book with them, he would come back for me to sign the contract and at that time would go over the load and estimate it again because it would be more accurate after all the boxes were packed. Then at that time, I was wondering if I can get him to make it into a binding estimate. They will have the same driver thru out the trip, the helpers will change upon loading and destination but my belongings will never leave the original truck.

Plycon estimated at 2226 lbs for a total of $1947. Hmmm now I can take the yarn out of the boxes and exchange it for books. (joking) since this estimate is a binding estimate, including the 18% fuel surcharge, charge. Only if the fs goes down drastically will it effect the price. They will be loading my things onto a small truck and then bringing it to their site and putting it on a trailor. Then when it arrives in Florida, it may or may not go on a smaller truck again.

I just called Plycon and told Bill that his weight was more than the other companies I had gotten estimates from and that his price was also higher. I then said I liked that his estimate is binding but I was wondering if i can get a GNTE estimate. He said thats what it is and he will put it all in writing when I come in to sign the contract. He also said when he was here that it was a fixed price and if the weight in actuallity is less the price wouldn't go down. I don't think that is right. But then again, he may have been talking about a binding estimate and not a binding GNTE estimate.

All three companies are local to where I live. I can visit their plants and see their operations if need be. I am having a delemia as to which one I should choose. All three men that came to my house were very pleasant. I'd appreciate all feedback. Thanks. [/i]

Diane

Re: How do I choose which estimate is the best

Postby Diane » Fri Sep 16, 2005 8:28 pm

Of the three, I would rank Hall-Lane first, Certified second, and Plycon third. Having your goods put on a truck and having them never leave that truck is a huge plus.

nyaccent

Postby nyaccent » Fri Sep 16, 2005 9:46 pm

Thanks for the reply, but my impression of Hall-Lane ranked them third on my list. Can you explain further why you said Hall-Lane is first on your list.

Hall-Lanes estimate was hand written and in comparrison to the others it was rushed and the hardest to interpret. They are the cheapest, but it isn't always good to go with the cheapest company. I think they are the least likely to give me a binding GNTE estimate since their minimum is 2100 lbs and they have me as being under that or if I add the extra boxes, right at that. It can't hurt to ask though.

Monday I will be calling Hall-Lane and Certified to see if i can get a GNTE estimate. I have been reading the thread about the weighing of trucks and it scares me to end up having to pay more. Just knowing the most I would end up paying would put my mind to ease, and so far Plycon satisfied that.

With Certified, my goods aren't leaving the truck. But the loading laborers and the delivery laborers will be different. I don't know if that is how Hall-Lane does it also. I tried to call certified to see if they can give me GNTE estimate. If they can, I think these are the ppl I am going to use.

I liked the fact that Plycon gave me a GNTE estimate. But it did bother me the transfering of my stuff, maybe more than one time. My homeowners policy does give me an extra $1000 worth of coverage and I may take out some more, not sure yet.

Michael

Postby Michael » Fri Sep 16, 2005 10:38 pm

Accent,

Stick with one of the first two. Homeowners only covers you for fire, theft or if something is stolen. Not if something is damaged by the mover. The only insurance agent I have ever seen cover someone for their move, no matter who is at fault has been state farm.

I to dont like the fact that Plycon is taking your goods to their facility and loading onto a local truck.

That doesnt mean it cant happen with the other two, but chances are more slim with the summer rush being almost over.

What were the discount levels offerred by the three companies?

Best of luck,
Michael

Forget yourself for others and the others will never forget

nyaccent

Postby nyaccent » Sat Sep 17, 2005 4:59 am

I didn't ask what the discount being offered is. But Hall-Lane did say when I told them that I had the additional boxes that if I went over the 2100 lbs that it would be figured on a 60% discount. That is the only discount that I know. Does it tell me the discount on the estimate that I have been given. I'll look later. I am on my way to FLorida now for a week. I am taking a whole car load of stuff with me. I can't believe what I can fit into my car. So when I get to my destination in two days, I will post again.

Yeah, I was feeling a little uncomfortable about my items being put on one truck and then loaded onto another. But that is what I am told happens when you don't have alot to move. It doesn't pay for them to bring the semi to this location.

Thanks, I'll let you all know of my decision next week. Have a good weekend everyone.

anne001

Postby anne001 » Sat Sep 17, 2005 6:25 am

Go with the mover that will give you paperwork to track items if they are lost (computarized probably better for that), and with the best chance of
the least moving in and out of truck.

It sounds like at the most you will be 2200lb. Find out what the charge would be for an extra 100 pound. If you do have that extra pound, pay for it. Just make sure they will give you a weight bill near your house, on the day of the move, corresponding to before and after. Not something estimated by the driver.

if you are risk adverse, pay the extra 400$ and sleep at night.

Diane

Postby Diane » Sat Sep 17, 2005 11:59 am

I agree with what Michael said.

Here is a thread where someone was trying to choose between Hall-Lane and Certified. He chose Certified but never came back to tell us how it went. You could send him a PM to ask - http://www.movingscam.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=4749

nyaccent

Postby nyaccent » Mon Sep 19, 2005 8:56 pm

Thank you Diane. I did contact him and got a reply.

He was very helpful. He told me that he couldn't get Certified to give him a BNTE but he ended up paying less than he was quoted. I called up Certified and the same man who gave him the estimate told me that when he comes by two weeks before the move, he will give me a BNTE when I sign the contract. I think I am going with Certified. I will keep you posted.

Diane

Postby Diane » Mon Sep 19, 2005 8:59 pm

Good - I wish that "jondav" had come back to post about his move. Do you know whether he was satisfied, all in all? It sounds as if you and he had the same estimator.

nyaccent

Postby nyaccent » Wed Sep 21, 2005 1:42 pm

Sorry it took me so long to respond, but I am away. Yes, we both had the same estimator. While he told me he couldn't get a BNTE estimate, I was told when I had most of my boxes packed, Bill would come back and estimate again. I know I won't have more than he was told the first time. And then he would give me a BNTE estimate.

Jondav ended up paying less for his move than quoted. So I think this mover is honest. I want to go with a GNTE estimate because all three estimates I have were pretty close, so I can figure it won't be less. All in all, I think he was satisfied with the move.

He wasn't happy with Certified's tracking system or the dispatcher though. They weren't on top of the move. He told me to make sure that I didn't have the same dispatcher he had, but I think that is beyond my control. But I will tell Certified of my concerns. They still list that his items are in transit even though they were delivered 2 months ago.

Two glasses were broken....everything else was fine!

He didn't realize he never posted an update. I was hoping since he realized he hadn't, he would.

I will probably end up using this mover, unless their GNTE estimate comes in much higher than their original estimate, which I can't see happening since all items will be the same. I'll keep you updated. Thanks again for a wonderful site. :D

Return to “Open Community”