deposits

Our open community forum is for general moving related questions, comments, and useful information about local and interstate moves.
NoelleS

deposits

Postby NoelleS » Fri Sep 30, 2005 10:09 am

I read on this site that a customer should not expect to pay a deposit, but so far the companies I've interviewed including JK do expect deposits. Are you all paying deposits? Who DOESN'T require one? Is a legitimate way to charge or not? They tell me the deposit is figured into the final cost of course....

blue

Re: deposits

Postby blue » Fri Sep 30, 2005 10:19 am

There are reputable companies that ask for a deposit. This gives them assurance they can safely allocate resources (labor and equipment) without fear of the customer changing their mind. The carrier doesn't want to be left with empty equipment and no work for employees. Many times things change for customers, and unfortunately too high a percentage of those never notify the carrier in time for them to reallocate.

Having said that, many, many reputable carriers do not require deposits.

MusicMom

Postby MusicMom » Fri Sep 30, 2005 9:25 pm

If the deposit is a large amount, like half the move, then drop them from consideration. Which companies are on your list?

NoelleS

Postby NoelleS » Tue Oct 04, 2005 6:17 am

I've gotten quotes so far from JK, All My Sons, and am in the process of getting quotes from Paxton and Eureka. Really was impressed with the Paxton sales person and am awaiting quote, which I'm hoping isn't too awful, although she admitted they are more expensive. Both JK and All My Sons require a deposit I believe, although it's not as much as half. Don't know about the others yet.

Cancelled the estimate I was going to get from Safeway.

Thank you again for this site -- it is wonderful!

Diane

Postby Diane » Tue Oct 04, 2005 8:45 am

In the past, people have posted that JK requires a nonrefundable deposit of 10% of the estimated cost of the move and Beltway also requires a deposit of (I believe) $100. I consider these companies highly reputable and I agree with "blue" about the reasons for the deposit. It costs money for a moving company to send workers and a truck to a residence. In some cases that I know about in other cities, the deposit is nonrefundable but can be applied to the move even if the moving dates change. You might ask JK about this. In my experience, requiring a deposit is much more common for independent companies like JK than for an agent of a national van line.

Postby Guest » Thu Oct 06, 2005 6:25 am

non refundable deposit ?!?
with all the thinks that would happen in the realestate market why would somebody hook up with a company that requires a nonrefundable deposit?

drop that company too.

customers should be able to get their deposit returned if the company is given enough notice.

if the dates change and the company can no longer nake the move when the customer needs to be moved why should the customer loose his/her deposit?

Shannon

Postby Shannon » Thu Oct 06, 2005 8:28 am

Changing your dates is a different story than completely cancelling your move. Most companies who ask for a non-refundable deposit will apply the deposit to the move if you change your dates. And if the company cannot handle the date change will give you back your deposit with enough notice. If you have a booked move and have to change your dates, JK will make sure you get on the schedule.

If you cancel your move last minute, the company cannot utilize the truck it had reserved for your move or, as stated before, wll send a crew out to the residence.

JK is a reputable mover, most times will ask for $100.00 deposit. I think this is to ensure that the consumer is serious about giving proper notification of any changes may happen.

Return to “Open Community”