Moving From Brooklyn to Chicago..Recommendations? Help!

Our open community forum is for general moving related questions, comments, and useful information about local and interstate moves.
crystal

Moving From Brooklyn to Chicago..Recommendations? Help!

Postby crystal » Mon Sep 26, 2005 2:06 pm

Hi. My Husband and I are moving from Brooklyn to Chicago. I filled out an inventory form on movers.com and have had people calling me nonstop ever since. I'd rather go with a recomendation. I've just spent a bunch of time on the BBB site and FMCSA site and it's a bit overwhelming. Some say it's important to have someone come to your house for an onsite visit, other's say 400N is the most important thing. I don't even understand what 400N is and how do you know for sure a moving company is 400N. Most companies I have talked to or heard from on email don't come for an onsite quote. Could someone please advise? Thanks!

consumer advocate

Re: Moving From Brooklyn to Chicago..Recommendations? Help!

Postby consumer advocate » Mon Sep 26, 2005 2:24 pm

You should start by discarding all of the moving company names that you've gotten from movers.com. Those moving websites are notorious for setting up unsuspecting consumers with scam movers. Hiring a mover that way almost guarantees that you'll be scammed. It's very important to have someone come to your home to do a visual survey of what is to be moved. That is the best way to get an accurate estimate. So look for movers that are local to you. I'm guessing that many of the movers contacting you by phone and e-mail are located in other cities. Use a local mover. The 400N refers to a set of rules that movers agree to follow in setting their prices. Though it sounds very official, they are not legally bound to follow those rules at all. The best thing for you to do is click on the smiley face at the top left of this website. Once you've had two or three in-home estimates, post the names, addresses and DOT numbers of the companies here and a volunteer will help you assess them.

Postby Guest » Mon Sep 26, 2005 2:32 pm

Thanks so much. I did a bunch of searching in these forums and will start phoning people tonight. We are do to move at the end of October so I'd like to book something in the next week or so.

Diane

Postby Diane » Mon Sep 26, 2005 3:06 pm

You might want to look at my Epinions article linked to below and also at this recent thread - http://www.movingscam.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=6008 Despite what's said by customers there, don't rule out University (Atlas) because I think they are a very good company. If you have a fairly large move, you might also be able to get a quote from All Star in Brooklyn. Reviews and contact information are the article.
Diane
Check out domestic companies on this thread. Click here for a detailed, authoritative article on international moving.

Postby Guest » Mon Sep 26, 2005 4:21 pm

Thanks Diane. Really helpful information in that article. I also found an old post where you recommended a couple of Chicago movers and phoned them. They will also do an onsite estimate (in NYC) so I'll get a couple of Chicago-based and a few New York-based and post again. I'm really glad this site is here. If I hadn't stumbled across it when googling "400N Tariff" + definition I probably would have gone with one of the 20+ movers who contacted me from movers.com

Diane

Postby Diane » Mon Sep 26, 2005 4:57 pm

Good. Just for others who may be confused by this, a lot of scammers make a big point of saying that they use the 400N Tariff (the standard rate list that most van lines use today). However, the scammers have no intention of using that tariff or any legitimate tariff. They simply charge whatever they want once they have your goods on the truck. They are counting on the fact that unsuspecting customers will think the phrase "400N Tariff" sounds impressive. Some even go on to talk about exceptions tariffs and so on to create the impression that the whole thing is too difficult for mere mortals to understand.

crystal

Postby crystal » Sat Oct 01, 2005 10:10 am

Things finally settled down enough for me to call movers today and have appointments for next week. University Van Lines, Molloy Brothers are coming and I am calling Flatbush, Dahill, and All-Star when they are open on Monday. Also, Jackson Moving from Chicago is coming for an estimate. I would like to also price the You Pack services in case I haven't scheduled enough time for a mover to come at the end of October. I like that Broadway Express has the driver wait with the truck instead of dropping it off as two hours won't be enough for us with ABF and our block won't work with a two-day drop-off/pickup. I'm going to call them on Monday as they are also closed today for an estimate.

Crystal

Postby Crystal » Sat Oct 01, 2005 10:55 am

One more question: I read the information on Broadway Express insurance (60 cents a pound) in your article. I called my renter's insurance who said my stuff is not covered for the move. Do you have information somewhere on insurance for full-service moving companies (not Broadway Express)? Thanks.

MusicMom

Postby MusicMom » Sat Oct 01, 2005 7:52 pm

www.bakerintl.com is one place.

Diane

Postby Diane » Sun Oct 02, 2005 8:14 pm

I don't think you can get insurance coverage from Baker for an ABF or BE move unless you use a loading company like Albert Relogistics that will do an inventory inspection before and after the move. It can be expensive to use such a service, although some people have done so. For one report, see ABF review #33. Please note that this person just posted an update with complaints about Albert - http://www.movingscam.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=5235

Crystal

Postby Crystal » Tue Oct 04, 2005 12:26 pm

I just had my first two estimators come by. The weight estimates are widely different.

Molloy Brothers Moving & Storage (Mayflower)
195 Sweet Hollow Rd., Old Bethpage, NY
DOT: 125563
MC: 2934
Estimated Weight: 7,872
Estimated Price: 4,384.35
Delivery Spread: He will call.

The agent (Tom Avella) said the quote was binding within 10% of the cost but I do not see that written on the estimate anywhere. Is this normal? Do the words non-binding appear only on the contract? The only place it says non-bound is on the additional charges (Insurance, Fuel Surcharge and IRR Surcharge). I got a good impression from this guy and saw good comments but no reviews and then I found this post which seems unresolved:

http://www.movingscam.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=1980

Second Quote:
Flatbush Moving (Wheaton)
DOT: 70719
MC: 87113
Estimated Weight: 4,000
Estimated Price: 2,583
This was a non-binding estimate. The agent was Dominic Liantonio. I'm wondering if I should call him back and ask him to give me a binding one.

http://www.movingscam.com/forum/viewtop ... ush+moving

I have University Van Lines (Atlas) coming tomorrow and Dahill (Mayflower) coming on Friday. I also think I will call Moving Man based on this post. http://www.movingscam.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=4303

Thoughts appreciated!

Diane

Postby Diane » Tue Oct 04, 2005 12:49 pm

Crystal wrote:I just had my first two estimators come by. The weight estimates are widely different.

You seem to have two Nonbinding estimates, one of which is too low. In my opinion you should not go with any company that does not give you a Binding estimate. Rather than trying to get such estimates from these two companies, I would wait and get them from University and Dahill, which I think are stronger contenders. Remember that University's estimates often come in high but several people have ended up paying substantially less. I doubt that All Star would go as far as Chicago for your size load, but if they would, they would be a good choice although they might be expensive.

The agent (Tom Avella) said the quote was binding within 10% of the cost but I do not see that written on the estimate anywhere. Is this normal? Do the words non-binding appear only on the contract? The only place it says non-bound is on the additional charges (Insurance, Fuel Surcharge and IRR Surcharge).

I don't like the way sales reps have been saying this to people. What you seem to have is a Nonbinding estimate, which means that if your weight goes over the estimated weight you have to pay the amount of the estimate plus 10% before the goods are unloaded from the truck. Then the company can bill you for the additional charges after 30 days. It's not as if the company forgives all the charges (if any) above the 10%. In my opinion what the rep told you was misleading.

Crystal

Postby Crystal » Tue Oct 04, 2005 12:57 pm

Thanks for your feedback. I just got off the phone with Moving Man and when I discussed the GNTE vs. non-binding he said that they can't give GNTE when not everything in the apartment is moving. This is the case with me (I have about five pieces of furniture that are staying in the apartment). I would rather include everything in the estimate and get a GNTE and get money back than have a non-binding. Moving Man is coming by this afternoon anyway since they are in the neighborhood.

Diane

Postby Diane » Tue Oct 04, 2005 1:04 pm

In my experience Moving Man never gives Binding Not to Exceed estimates, at least for interstate moves, but it will be interesting to know the estimator's ideas about your weight and your impressions of him as a person. I would just try not to take too much of his time since you probably won't go with Moving Man.

Crystal

Postby Crystal » Tue Oct 04, 2005 5:43 pm

Vladimir from Moving Man came by tonight. They didn't give a full cost estimate but will fax it to me tomorrow. The weight estimate was between the two previous estimates at 5,800 pounds. He did the most thorough job so far of looking in all cabinets, etc. They said that most likely they would be driving the truck to Chicago themselves as this is a slower time of year which is appealing to me. I liked them the best so far. University Van Lines is coming tomorrow.

Return to “Open Community”