moving from NY to CA

Our open community forum is for general moving related questions, comments, and useful information about local and interstate moves.
fig

moving from NY to CA

Postby fig » Sun Oct 09, 2005 3:44 pm

I am moving from NY to CA within the next month. I am looking into the following three movers here in the Ny area. Can anyone give my advice on any of them?

1. Maffucci (affiliate of Bekins) 718-343-4100

2. Top Priority Moving and Storage Co. 718-208-2943
us dot # 686530

3. E-Z moving 718-246-800

ALL these are located in Brooklyn, NY

Thank you...I really appreciate whatever you can tell me.

MusicMom

Re: moving from NY to CA

Postby MusicMom » Sun Oct 09, 2005 4:30 pm

I'm not sure if Top Priority is affiliated with a major van line, but if not, then they would not work very well for you. They only own five trucks, which does not bode well for getting you all the way to CA in a timely manner.

Same thing for E-Z moving, they only have 4 trucks.

Postby Guest » Sun Oct 09, 2005 5:04 pm

Thanks for those tips. What about Bekins, I know that they are a larger company, but everywhere I look people seem to be unhappy with them.

Diane

Postby Diane » Sun Oct 09, 2005 6:10 pm

Maffucci has a very bad reputation.

Prior threads on Top Priority and E-Z Moving show that both are bad too:
http://www.movingscam.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=832
http://www.movingscam.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=2252 (also other threads; do a search)

Please check out my Epinions article linked to below for some ideas about reputable companies, and if cost is a concern get a quote from a freight company--many reviews of ABF and Broadway Express are on stickies at the top of the message board.
Diane
Check out domestic companies on this thread. Click here for a detailed, authoritative article on international moving.

fig

Postby fig » Sun Oct 09, 2005 6:37 pm

WOW. thanks for the info. now I am back to square one, but I quess that is good in the long run.

Can you please explain to me what the difference is between regular movers and ABF or Broadway Express. I dont understand.

thanks

Diane

Postby Diane » Sun Oct 09, 2005 6:55 pm

First of all, where do you live in New York City, how much stuff do you have (number of pounds or number of rooms), where are you moving to in CA, and what is your budget for this move?

Postby Guest » Sun Oct 09, 2005 7:25 pm

I am in Brooklyn, Ny and I am moving to Pasadena area in California. I have 4 rooms, (small apt) worth of stuff, but not alot of furniture. Beds, table, bookshelve..the rest are clothes. It'll be about 3,000 lbs. or less. I planned on paying around $1- a pound - that is what one of the companies that i spoke to told me.

I am now looking into the bigger companies, and there agents in the NY area.

Liffey Van Lines, inc (Allied) 212-410-3500

Flatbush Moving man (wheaton) 718-236 8900
Moving man (wheaton) 212-281-4300

Approved Moving and storage (North American) 718-452-3000
Hudson NorthAmericans (North American) 212-678 4862

I will call all these companies in the morning and see what they say.
thanks for your help so far

Diane

Postby Diane » Sun Oct 09, 2005 8:57 pm

Hi again - with high fuel prices and other costs, it is becoming almost impossible to find a reputable full-service company that will move things cross-country for $1 a pound, especially since they usually want to use shuttles in NYC, which adds to the cost. However, the independent company Moovers, Inc. still tries to do it. I suggest that you give them a call to see whether they may have a truck going to CA when you want to move. Here is a thread with reviews and contact information - http://www.movingscam.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=4655

I would not bother with getting a quote from any of the companies on your list. Some are marginal in quality, but the main reason is that even the best one (Moving Man) does not give Guaranteed Not to Exceed quotes, and you need such a quote. Instead, I would call University Van Lines (Atlas) in Rahway, NJ, or Dahill (Mayflower) in Brooklyn, both of which do give GNTE quotes.

Since you are in Brooklyn, I would recommend starting with Dahill. It's likely that its quote and University's would be similar since they use the same 400N tariff (schedule of prices). Contact information for both University and Dahill is in the Epinions article referred to above, as well as many reviews of University. Since I wrote the article, one or two good reviews of Dahill have come in; search on Dahill using the Search button above to see them.

If you decide that all of these quotes (Moovers, University, Dahill) are too high, then you might want to consider the freight companies ABF and Broadway Express (BE). You may have more than 3000 pounds, because that would be on the low side for 4 rooms. My guess is that you may have as much as 5000 pounds, which is average for a 2BR apartment. BE's minimum is 10 linear feet (about 4500 pounds), so that would work for you. ABF's minimum is 5 feet. Normally these companies charge about 40% less than full-service movers. BE's price for 10 feet, for example, would be about $2500. See this online cost calculator to see how I arrived at that estimate - http://www.broadwayexpress.net/household.html You can contact ABF at www.upack.com to get a quote from them as well. ABF can bring its trucks into Brooklyn and BE can too as long as your street is at least 30 feet wide.

You should look at the FAQ sheet on the sticky at the top of the message board to understand how the freight companies work and the difference between them, but basically these are You-Load, We-Drive companies where you would hire workers to load and unload a 28-foot (ABF) or 53-foot (BE) trailer. The driver would wait while you load and ABF or BE would then drive the trailer across the country. You can hire such workers from LaborReady.com, eMove.com, or (in NYC) All Star Moving in Brooklyn (718-643-4705) for about $30/hour per worker with a two-hour or four-hour minimum. All Star also charges $30/hour for a truck with dollies on it, which you will need; see reviews of All Star in the Epinions article plus additional ones here that came in after I wrote the article.

In Pasadena you may be able to hire workers from Delancey Street-Los Angeles; see this thread for reviews and contact information - http://www.movingscam.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=2377 (In fact, Delancey-LA, which is a reasonably-priced independent full-service moving company, may be able to move you all the way across the country; it would be worth asking when you call.) It may seem like a big deal to hire workers yourself but in reality it is not. You just have to make up your mind that you're going to do it. With ABF you will also have to supply moving pads or old quilts to protect your furniture, and you will have to rent a ramp from ABF for $50 at each end.

nyaccent

Postby nyaccent » Mon Oct 10, 2005 12:51 am

Wasn't Maffucci, a Mayflower agent at one time. I seem to remember using them when I moved from Queens to Syracuse. They were the ones who left my truck unattended while loading and a child's bicycle and a few other items were missing from the truck when it got to it's destination. They did settle though, cause those items were inventoried.

Diane

Postby Diane » Mon Oct 10, 2005 12:57 am

Yes, Maffucci was Mayflower before it became Bekins about five years ago. See this thread (page 2) - http://www.movingscam.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=1451

nyaccent

Postby nyaccent » Mon Oct 10, 2005 1:26 am

Wow, Diane, I am impressed that the Maffucci question was answered so quickly. I can't say enough good things about this site and you, Musicmom, Twalker and ruges. You are all good people and are very much dedicated to helping us all. Thanks again. Also I want to thank everyone for their comments and help.

Crystal

Postby Crystal » Mon Oct 10, 2005 7:32 am

Just to chime in....I am moving from Brooklyn to Chicago and got good GNTE quotes from both Dahill and University. It was a tough choice but I'm planning on booking with Dahill today mostly because they are going to try harder not to use a shuttle on both ends of my move (which would amount to $1,500 and two more times my stuff gets moved). Otherwise their quotes and estimates were very similar.

fig

Postby fig » Mon Oct 10, 2005 3:58 pm

Thanks everyone for all your advice...it helps sooo much.

I had the Dahill and Muffacci pple come today. ( i saw the notice about the muffaci too late, i do not plan on taking them now - thanks for all the info. They were $1000- more anyway)

The Dahill people told me that my stuff would go straight into a trailer. (no shuttle) The prive was a bit over $1- a pound, with my entire apt. equalling about 3,000 pounds.

They offer a binding price for an extra $500- and a Guarentee Not To Exceed price for an extra $1000- (meaning, for one thousand dollars extra they will not go higher and they could go lower if the wieght comes out lower.)

What do most ppl do? is that something to do? pay extra for binding or gnte?

Universal is coming tomorrow, i will see what they say (although dahill wants an answer by the morning)

Postby Guest » Mon Oct 10, 2005 6:20 pm

I am Moving out of a 4rth floor apartment. Do you think there would be an extra charge for this? if yes, about how much can I expect to pay?

Diane

Postby Diane » Mon Oct 10, 2005 6:56 pm

fig wrote:The Dahill people told me that my stuff would go straight into a trailer. (no shuttle) The prive was a bit over $1- a pound, with my entire apt. equalling about 3,000 pounds.

They offer a binding price for an extra $500- and a Guarentee Not To Exceed price for an extra $1000- (meaning, for one thousand dollars extra they will not go higher and they could go lower if the wieght comes out lower.)

Grab it, if they really mean that the driver who picks up your stuff will be the driver who delivers it in CA. I think you should definitely go for the Binding price. That way you will have peace of mind. You could also go with the Guaranteed Not to Exceed since you have nothing to lose if your weight is no more than the original estimate (in other words, you won't be paying an extra $1000), but I think if it were me I would just stick with the Binding. Drivers like Bindings better anyway.

If you're the person who asked about the 4th floor walkup, if you have a Binding quote and the company is using the 400N tariff, they cannot charge more for stairs.

Return to “Open Community”