Weighing stuff

Our open community forum is for general moving related questions, comments, and useful information about local and interstate moves.
Moving To Long Island

Re: Weighing stuff

Postby Moving To Long Island » Wed Sep 28, 2005 2:13 pm

Hey Guest:

Before spouting off get yourself straight. I started this message board as a means for asking a question about reweighs and there is no indication anywhere that I said I had yet been scammed or ripped off. In fact I was only saying it may be a possibility.

As for the 600 pound difference, Guest, it cost me more like $500.

Now, not too make your post look even more out of place I just got the results of my reweigh from New Jersey, and was told my stuff weighed 2,960 pounds, exactly 500 pounds lower then the initial weight I was given of 3,460, here in California.

So, Guest, it would appear my scale was more accurate then the certified scale that had been used in California, or at the very least I weighed my stuff more properly, since there must have been some kind of a glitch in CA.

I'll write more at another point but just wanted to respond to "Guest" and let everyone know the results of the reweigh.

Due to people like Musicmom and Diane, as well as Rick, I not only found a more reputable mover than I had first dealt with, but was encouraged to get a reweigh and given sound advice which ended up saving me hundreds.

There's My Humble Opinion.

Thank You.

Barry

P.S. THe mover we used was Allied Movers (Golden Gate Moving & Storage Division) - By the way, in fairness to this moving company they were very professional and once I actually get to NY to unpack and see the condition of my stuff, I will leave a full review on the Company. So far though, I have been impressed with them.

Diane

Postby Diane » Sun Oct 02, 2005 7:23 pm

Thank you for following through on this, Barry. Although you said that your moving company has been well spoken of on this website, I'm not aware of seeing any reviews of it. Where did you see the good comments?

There may well be an innocent explanation for the weight discrepancy that you have experienced, but then again there may not be. Reliable sources have told me that even some supposedly reputable companies may weigh the truck without all the pads and dollies on it for the tare (empty) weight and then include all that stuff in the gross weight, making the customer's net weight appear to be higher.

Are you saying that a 600-pound weight difference was going to cost you $500 extra? That seems high to me.

I think it's well to bear in mind that even reputable companies do make mistakes. Here's a recent thread where "pete" was overcharged by Fallon (Mayflower) in CT - http://www.movingscam.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=5676

nyaccent

Postby nyaccent » Sun Oct 02, 2005 10:26 pm

If you had a GNTE the extra 600 pounds wouldn't cost you anything. If that is the case, why were you so upset by it.

Ruges

Postby Ruges » Mon Oct 03, 2005 4:15 am

nyaccent wrote:If you had a GNTE the extra 600 pounds wouldn't cost you anything. If that is the case, why were you so upset by it.

Becouse the GNTE was for 3,437.
Ruges

nyaccent

Postby nyaccent » Mon Oct 03, 2005 2:31 pm

Okay, so if u have a GNTE estimate based upon 3437 and the weight comes in at 600 pounds more, don't u only pay the price based upon the 3437 weight.

Diane

Postby Diane » Mon Oct 03, 2005 3:30 pm

Barry was initially told that his weight was 3460, i.e. just above the GNTE weight. If his weight was really only 2960, he would be entitled to a refund.

I'm somewhat surprised that Allied gave him a GNTE because usually Allied gives Binding estimates (called TPG or Total Price Guarantee estimates). But Barry said that he checked with the sales rep and he does have a true GNTE where his cost can go down if his weight is less (called a GRR quote for Guaranteed Rate Reduction).

:arrow: I am wondering whether what could have happened here is that Golden Gate mistakenly thought he had a TPG quote and either didn't weigh the truck or didn't pay attention to noting the true weight accurately (because someone thought the weight didn't matter since the estimate was Binding). This was a small move, and we have seen similar things happen before where someone at the moving company was careless and took a short cut. Sometimes with TPG quotes the supposed weight has come in only a few pounds different from the weight that the TPG was based on. I and others have wondered on those moves whether the truck was even weighed. See this thread on a move with another Allied agent, Beverly Hills Transfer, where the actual weight supposedly came in only 60 pounds more than the estimated weight. "23" and I made some wry comments about it at the end - http://www.movingscam.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=3460

I must repeat that I haven't seen any good reviews of Golden Gate on this message board, although industry people on the board have said that they are reputable. Also, when I looked up their BBB report just now I saw that they are rated "unsatisfactory" - http://www.oakland.bbb.org/commonreport ... mpid=13662 The latter might be a fluke, but then again it might not be.

Moving To Long Island

Postby Moving To Long Island » Mon Oct 10, 2005 8:09 pm

Hello -

I am sorry I have not followed up with the board in a while, but we have been very busy unpacking. Anyways, the purpose of this is to follow up on some items, as well as to ask an additional question:

I am sorry I was not clear on the moving company. The name of the company is Allied Van Lines; Golden Gate was the local company name. I went to allied.com, for example, to track my shipment as it was moving across the country.

Anyways, we have unpacked most of our items, especially the breakable items, and have found everything in perfect condition. Additionally, my Mother, who was here to receive the shipment while we were wrapping things up in California, said the company was very professional. As far as the way our items were handled, we were very happy.

We would like to note that we were originally told our items would get to NY between the 19th and 25th of September. As soon as the drivers contacted us, they told us it should be the 28th. Why the 19th to 25th quote could not be honored, I do not know, but for our purposes, the 28th was also okay. I was fine with this, however had we needed the items by the 25th, this would have been a disappointing outcome.

The drivers kept us informed and were very courteous.

As you know, we also asked for a reweigh, which they did. Predictably, the reweigh was much more in line with what I had come up with. The reweigh ended up being 500 pounds less than the first reweight and 477 pounds less than what the original in house estimate came in at. Why this happened, I do not know. I tend to think it might have been an innocent error. When I called the Company after getting the original, and very high, weight I was not talked to particularly nicely, and I was given false information such as that I would be charged for the reweigh, etc, but I guess that's life. There customer service, with that being the exception, was professional throughout.

My question is based on the money we ended up getting refunded due to the new weight.

As you know, we were charged $3,914 for the 3,437 pound estimate. Additionally, I had asked for a price (not guaranteed, but I was curious, and the estimator was willing to do the calculation for me) on 2,900 pounds, since I knew that my weight would be closer to that amount, and was quoted $3,558. Yes, Diane, I over estimated my refund because I was thinking the amount was about $1 per pound - my error. However, if the quote for the 2,900 pounds was $3,558, which is $356 less than the estimate, why did I only get $222 back? It seems disproportionate to me.

In other words, we know 3,437 pounds = $3,914 and 2,900 pounds = $3,558. My real weight was only 60 pounds more than the lower estimate - why was the refund I received $134 different ($356 - $222).

As I learn more about this industry, it appears there are a lot of fixed, or step, costs where it is not based on a pure $ per pound basis. However, this being said, my $222 refund for a 477 pound difference ($.47/pound) seems low. Am I right, or does $222 seem normal based on the fact pattern above.

Anyways, my advice to those moving, is to get a reweigh if the weight they tell you does not pass the smell test. Always investigate differences, ask questions, and come to this board for advice. I know more about the moving industry than I ever intended, and never ever want to make a move of this magnitude again.

Your comments are welcome.

Barry

Diane

Postby Diane » Mon Oct 10, 2005 9:36 pm

Barry,

You might want to look at the thread that I mentioned above where "pete" was overcharged by Fallon (Mayflower) in CT - http://www.movingscam.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=5676 The situation was very similar to yours. Eventually the company said that it had made a miscalculation and gave him the money that he thought he was entitled to. I have no idea why your refund was $134 less than you think it should have been--it could be an honest error, a deliberate mistake, or neither. In other words, the amount they refunded could actually be correct. I guess you could make one last attempt to get them to change the amount, but then I think I would just forget about it. What a saga you have had.

Moving To Long Island

Postby Moving To Long Island » Tue Oct 11, 2005 9:40 pm

Okay -

Yes, I am beginning to think the search for more money is probably fruitless, but I am going to ask the company for a detail of how they come up with the $222.80 refund.

None the less, this board is most responsible for helping me do 2 important things:

1. To not go with the original company we were going with (Powerhouse)

2. To get the reweigh

Who knows where our stuff would be had we gone with Powerhouse. While I think $3,600 is a lot for moving costs for the 2,960 pounds we had, our stuff got here safely and timely. My story ends a lot better than others, and I can only sympathize with all of those people whose stuff is in the middle of the country or damaged in transit.

While the internet ended up introducing me to my wife and has given me that positive on going experience, it also lends itself to many scams and frauds. It is nice that someone can take the time out to set up this message board and give free advice to help people.

Thank You.

Barry

PatR

Postby PatR » Tue Oct 11, 2005 10:00 pm

GONE
Last edited by PatR on Sun Oct 16, 2005 7:28 am, edited 1 time in total.

nyaccent

Postby nyaccent » Wed Oct 12, 2005 12:48 am

I also found my love on the net, and that is what is prompting me to move to Florida, to be with him. :D

PatR

Postby PatR » Wed Oct 12, 2005 2:57 am

GONE
Last edited by PatR on Sun Oct 16, 2005 7:29 am, edited 1 time in total.

nyaccent

Postby nyaccent » Thu Oct 13, 2005 12:30 am

Pat, that reminds me of my favorite movie, You've got Mail. I think it is so great that you both live in the same city. Long distance relationships are very hard.

I can't believe the more packing I do, it seems the more that I have. I am sooooo unorganized. Anyone have any tips for organizing the packing?

PatR

Postby PatR » Thu Oct 13, 2005 1:01 am

REMOVED BY AUTHOR
Last edited by PatR on Sun Oct 16, 2005 7:29 am, edited 1 time in total.

PatR

Postby PatR » Thu Oct 13, 2005 1:08 am

GONE
Last edited by PatR on Sun Oct 16, 2005 7:30 am, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “Open Community”