Help! Norwalk, Connecticut to Northern California

Our open community forum is for general moving related questions, comments, and useful information about local and interstate moves.
movingtoca

Help! Norwalk, Connecticut to Northern California

Postby movingtoca » Mon Oct 24, 2005 4:32 pm

Help! We are moving from CT to CA and would like to use a full service (we pack, they load and move) mover for a move in a couple of months. We have received one quote today from Vanguard (an agent for North American) movers for $4700. We don't have all that much stuff and I haven't shopped it around yet with other estimates.

Here are my questions:

1. Does anybody know what Vanguard's reputation is?
2. Vanguard offered me a "customer benefit" quote which they said means it can't go over by more than 10%. Has anyone ever heard of this type of quote? Is it a good type of quote?
3. I am also looking at Amodio (Mayflower) and William B. Meyer (United). Has anyone heard of them? Are there any other recs that you know about?
4. Has anyone ever heard of Global Express or Arthur Werner? (Got them out of the phone book)

Thanks!

MusicMom

Re: Help! Norwalk, Connecticut to Northern California

Postby MusicMom » Mon Oct 24, 2005 8:14 pm

Of those, Global Express should be avoided like the plague. If that is the exact name used in their ad, I am curious as to why they are advertising in CT, since they are in Florida (they claim New Jersey), working the scams under the name of the copycat Unitrans International. If the actual name was Global Moving Express, then burn that phone book page! They are a scam outfit telecommuting from Jerusalem.

movingtoca

Postby movingtoca » Mon Oct 24, 2005 8:21 pm

Sorry- The actual name of that mover is "Globe Express Van Lines", not "Global Express". Their website is www.globeexpress.com

Also- has anyone heard of Noah's Ark Moving and Storage?

Thanks for your help!

MusicMom

Postby MusicMom » Mon Oct 24, 2005 8:32 pm

Globe Express Services is a third party logistics provider (3PL) specializing in U.S. trade with the Far East. Founded in 1974, we have grown to become a premier freight forwarder with employees, offices and strategic partners around the world. Globe offers international supply chain solutions incorporating innovative logistics technology and world-class operational execution.

Why do you need this kind of a company for a move to Northern CA? PLus, they are in North Carolina. I think you should move on.

Noah's Ark is not big enough to be able to promise a timely move across country by themselves. They would most likley sub-contract to another mover. If they sent one truck with you across the country, one quarter of their fleet and drivers would be unuseable at home for a week and a half, seriously cutting into their revenue. In cases like these that we've seen, a completely different company shows up at the destination, and not always one you'd approve of.

Any estimate you get should be based on a rep from the movers actually coming to your house and viewing all of your things. Inventories that you are asked to fill out are not going to be even CLOSE to accurate (and why should you do their work, anyway?). Do not accept any estimate based on Cubic Feet, they are now illegal. These two tips should help you cut down on bad guys. For more tips, read the article at the top left with the 8)

Diane

Postby Diane » Mon Oct 24, 2005 11:18 pm

movingtoca wrote:We have received one quote today from Vanguard (an agent for North American) movers for $4700. . . . Vanguard offered me a "customer benefit" quote which they said means it can't go over by more than 10%. Has anyone ever heard of this type of quote? Is it a good type of quote?

This is the third case reported to us where a sales rep employed by an agent of a national van line guaranteed that the customer's cost would not be more than 110% of the original quote. The other two reps were employed by Wheaton agents. I am mystified by this because it does not correspond to any type of legitimate quote that I am familiar with. It's true that with a Nonbinding quote you will not have to pay more than 110% of the quote on delivery day, but you will be billed for any overage after 30 days have elapsed. It isn't as if the van line simply forgives the overage. In my opinion, sales reps who say this type of thing are doing a disservice to the customer, because relying on the rep's guarantee the customer could budget for 110% of the move and then not have enough money to pay a much larger final bill.

weso18

Postby weso18 » Tue Oct 25, 2005 4:19 am

I just moved from Connecticut to Florida using Amodio Mayflower. For the most part I didn't really have any problems. At most I suppose just reg. delays that were not anything intentional..traffic, ect. ect. Make sure you get a binding NOT to exceed quote! They originally quoted me for 1900 pounds and said they have to bill for a minimum of 2100 pounds...no problem! I asked for a binding, not to exceed quote on that..again they gave me no problem with that and gave me one..its a good thing cause my load came out to 2900 pounds! LoL Get that binding estimate in writing!

Diane

Postby Diane » Tue Oct 25, 2005 6:13 am

movingtoca,

William B. Meyer (United) is discussed briefly and inconclusively on this thread - http://www.movingscam.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=5072 I don't know anything about the Werner company you mention.

I will try to find out more about Amodio (Mayflower), but I remember people in the past saying that its service was kind of marginal in quality.

movingtoca

Postby movingtoca » Sun Oct 30, 2005 3:38 pm

Thanks for all of your help. I think I narrowed it down betweenb Amodio (Mayflower) and Vanguard (North American).

Can anybody help me pick---or suggest a great alternative?

Thanks!!!!

Diane

Postby Diane » Sun Oct 30, 2005 3:43 pm

To find out about Vanguard, send a Private Message to the person posting here as "Nancy" and she will research it for you.

I have a request in to somebody to check on Amodio for me.

Don't go with any company that does not give you either a Binding Not to Exceed or Binding quote. The "customer benefit" quote originally offered to you by Vanguard is a Nonbinding quote that is usually not to the customer's benefit.

I would suggest also calling Moovers, Inc. to see whether they may have a truck going back to CA from the East Coast at the time when you want to move. They are headquartered in Concord, CA, so the match would be good. Here is a thread with contact information and many good reviews of the company - http://www.movingscam.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=4655 I know the owners and I feel that they would do a good job for you. The advantage of using them over a van line agent is that your goods would be picked up and delivered by the same truck. Fewer transfers usually means less possibility of damage and faster delivery. The cost is also likely to be slightly lower than Vanguard or Amodio.

Diane

Postby Diane » Mon Oct 31, 2005 9:52 am

I just got a report back on Amodio from someone who works for another Mayflower agent. It is a good report.

She says that Amodio has been with Mayflower since 1982. They're a good size agent with lots of equipment. She has had no problem relying on them as a destination agent in CT, and their customer satisfaction scores compare favorably with Dahill's.

Return to “Open Community”