advice moving from NYC to LA

Our open community forum is for general moving related questions, comments, and useful information about local and interstate moves.
guest-mark

Re: advice moving from NYC to LA

Postby guest-mark » Wed Oct 12, 2005 10:38 am

Hi Music Mom,

Thanks for your reply. Which service would you suggest. Please consider that the company I will work for will pay for everything. I want the most complete service available.

MusicMom

Postby MusicMom » Wed Oct 12, 2005 8:53 pm

Any full-service mover will take care of everything you need. Diane has an Epinions article on movers in the NYC area, she's gathered reviews from various sources (Click the link under her name)

guest-mark

Postby guest-mark » Mon Oct 17, 2005 9:54 am

Hi Again,

Tomorrow is the day I will have my first estimate. Is it true that semis are not allowed in nyc? does everyone in nyc have to move with a shuttle first?

Thanks,

Diane

Postby Diane » Mon Oct 17, 2005 10:50 am

Mark, this topic has been discussed here several times, for example:
http://www.movingscam.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=5021
http://www.movingscam.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=6267

Bottom line: any agent of a major van line will almost certainly use a shuttle for your move, and there's nothing wrong with that.

guest-mark

Postby guest-mark » Tue Oct 18, 2005 12:41 pm

Hi again,

Well I just got my first quote out of a scheduled four quotes. This quote was from Berger transfer of New Jersey (Allied van lines). The guy's name was Howard and he seemed knowledgable and was nice. He said it would take between 9-14 days to move my stuff from NYC to LA. The Quote was for a full service move they pack everything. Also includes price of a shuttle in NYC. Guaranteed not to exceed price with full replacement value insurance with zero deductable. He estimated the weight at 4800 lbs.
Total price $7789.
Do you think this is a reasonable quote?

Thanks,
Mark

I should be getting quotes next week from University and Cahill.

guest-mark

Postby guest-mark » Tue Oct 18, 2005 12:42 pm

oops I meant Dahill. :D

guest-mark

Postby guest-mark » Wed Oct 19, 2005 4:12 pm

hi,

I have 2 more quotes scheduled for Friday from Dahill and also University.
I will repost with all 3 quotes and who I will choose.

A friend of mine also moved from NYC to LA and he used Collins Brothers from Larchmont, has anyone any info about them.

mark

Diane

Postby Diane » Fri Oct 21, 2005 12:02 am

I think all of the companies you have mentioned are reputable, including Collins Brothers (an Atlas agent). Someone said that Collins Brothers is very large and does a lot of commercial moves, which isn't necessarily a plus for people wanting household moves. But nobody has moved with them and come back to report to us.

guest-mark

Postby guest-mark » Fri Oct 21, 2005 9:49 pm

Hi again,

As promised here are all the quotes and my thoughts.

1. Berger transfer of New Jersey (Allied van lines). The guy's name was Howard and he seemed knowledgable and was nice. He said it would take between 9-14 days to move my stuff from NYC to LA. The Quote was for a full service move they pack everything. Also includes price of a shuttle in NYC. Guaranteed not to exceed price with full replacement value insurance with zero deductable. He estimated the weight at 4800 lbs.
Total price $7789 plus shuttle extra if needed in LA approx $500. Left a booklet my rights and responsibilities when I move.

2. Collins Brothers, Larchmont NY (Atlas) - The guy's name was Craig, decent enough. First big negative sign was that they would not give a GNTE quote, so after what I have read on this website and Diane's advice this was not a good start. I received the quote by e mail this afternoon. Same as above full service etc. Estimated weight at 6000lbs.
Total Charges $10343. 110% of Shipment Total $11378
Seemed like a big difference to me in. The only upside was that they say they use all their own trucks.

3. Dahill (Mayflower) - the estimator was Christopher Blank, very knowledgable patient man whoe was thorough. All same services as above. This was a GNTE quote. Estimated weight at 4500lbs. Total Price $7629, plus extra if shuttle at LA end if needed approx $550. Left a booklet my rights and responsibilities when I move.

4. University (Atlas) - Estimator's name was Scott also a decent guy. Same as above regarding services. Quote was GNTE. Estimated weight 6200lbs. Total price was $9614 plus extra $570 if shuttle needed at LA. Left a booklet my rights and responsibilities when I move.

Today seemed like a long day and I was puzzled/Surprised with the difference in the weight estimates and the prices. I wanted to Give Collins a chance as they were recommended by a friend. But in all honesty I think that I will now decide between 2 companies.

Either Dahill or Berger and not just because they gave the lower quotes as the company I will work for will pay for the whole move. I need some comfort level when my whole life's possessions are being boxed up and taken all the way accross the country.

Thanks for at least helping me make this seemingly nightmare decision into a palatable one.

Mark
:roll:

guest-mark

Postby guest-mark » Fri Oct 21, 2005 10:05 pm

I forgot to mention one thing....the last guy from University mentioned something that is of concern to me. When I told him his estimated weight was high he told me he would rather estimate on the high side as when the driver comes to pick up he could refuse the pick up and request I sign an addendum to the agreement which would nullify the binding contract. Is this true? And what usually happens in this event?

Mark :?:

Diane

Postby Diane » Fri Oct 21, 2005 10:31 pm

Thanks for this, Mark. If you decide that you want further advice, you might send a PM to "Nancy" and "Rick" to see whether they have an opinion on Berger vs. Dahill. As I said previously, we have many good reviews of Dahill and none of Berger so far, so I guess I would lean toward Dahill.

University's reviews show that it tends to give high GNTE estimates and that many people end up paying around $1000 less, so I am not surprised by their quote. When I asked one of the owners why his reps quote so high, he said, "We have to protect ourselves." (Against situations created by customers who try to ship more goods than they have shown to the reps, I presume.) Why Collins was so high, I don't know. Maybe it is less attuned to household moves than the others.

Your question about a driver protest has been asked many times. One moverpro posting here who has spent many years in the industry has said that he can count on the fingers of one hand the number of times that a driver has protested a weight estimate, and the driver wasn't always successful even in those cases. Your quotes are high enough that I think the chances of a driver protesting the estimate and your being asked to sign an addendum authorizing extra charges are vanishingly small.

If you are concerned about it, though, tell the Berger and Dahill reps that their estimates were much lower than the others and ask them what would happen if the driver protests. I think that usually the driver and the sales rep would confer and work it out between them. As long as you showed the reps everything (or almost everything) that you're actually moving, you should be fine.

You might be interested in this thread describing a pickup by Amodio (Mayflower) where the driver grumbled a bit about the sales rep having underestimated the weight on a Binding estimate and said "that guy has to stop doing this" - http://www.movingscam.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=6254 (But he loaded the stuff without formally protesting.) The drivers do assume some risk when they protest because I think I remember that if the weight turns out to be within 10% of the estimate they are penalized in some way.

real estate agent

Postby real estate agent » Tue Oct 25, 2005 12:43 pm

[advertisement removed]

Elizabeth Kohen

rwreynard

Postby rwreynard » Tue Oct 25, 2005 5:11 pm

Hi Mark

I've used Divine locally with great success, but they themselves wouldn't say they could do a long distance move.

I got quotes from D&R (American Red Ball Van Lines) and they seemed good, University + Atlas and Moishes.

I went with University and Atlas because of this site's recommendations but the Atlas agent who actually moved me across country was very poor. University did a decent job at the NYC end but several pieces were damaged in transit and 2 valuable paintings never got delivered and I'm still waiting for them (a month late now). They're promised, so we'll see. My claim pay out will be about $600 which will cover a couple of things but not all damage by any means.

I have had much better experiences with Allied agents in the past, I will never use Atlas again. But it's a CRAPSHOOT who you get to actually drive your stuff across and unload at the other end. You can't control that.

I'm planning a full write-up when the saga's finally over.

GOOD LUCK!!! If there's any way on God's earth you can move yourself, MOVE YOURSELF. I'm amazed at the low standard of move $8000 bought me.

Oh well. You live and learn.

rwreynard

Postby rwreynard » Tue Oct 25, 2005 5:13 pm

Just noticed the reference to Berger above.

I've only moved a motorcycle with Berger/Allied out of NJ to Seattle but they did a FABULOUS job.

Wish I'd used them to move everything....

rwreynard

Postby rwreynard » Tue Oct 25, 2005 5:16 pm

Another thing to consider is the number of trucks on the road, I saw way more Allied and United trucks than anything else so I think you get a better chance of getting your stuff on time.

Atlas is large too. Never saw an American Red Ball truck in 2 weeks travelling cross country. Put me off using those guys.

Saw a couple Mayflowers and North Americans.

Return to “Open Community”