Moving Locally from Clifton to Parsippany (New Jersey)

Our open community forum is for general moving related questions, comments, and useful information about local and interstate moves.
sunnyk

Moving Locally from Clifton to Parsippany (New Jersey)

Postby sunnyk » Wed Oct 26, 2005 8:16 am

I am looking for a reputable moving company for a local move. Based on information that I have read on this website, I have decided not to go with three company's that were referred to me: Moving Coach, JD Carlton, White Glove.
My move is coming up quickly so any help would be appreciated. Thanks

Diane

Re: Moving Locally from Clifton to Parsippany (New Jersey)

Postby Diane » Wed Oct 26, 2005 10:14 am

Allstate Moving & Transfer Co., an agent of Paul Arpin Van Lines (phone 908-474-0007), has a very good review for a local move within NJ. See http://www.movingscam.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=5689
Address 1333 W. Edgar Road
Linden, NJ 07036
Website www.allstatemoving.com
NJ License Number 00041PC
Be sure to compare addresses and license numbers because there is a disreputable company with a similar name. Allstate Moving was recommended by University Van Lines (Atlas), a company in Rahway that has many good reviews here. University could also do your local move.

Peers Moving in Dover (phone 973-366-2898) has two very good reviews for local moves within NJ. See
http://www.movingscam.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=2783 and
http://www.movingscam.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=3943
Diane
Check out domestic companies on this thread. Click here for a detailed, authoritative article on international moving.

sunnyk

Postby sunnyk » Wed Oct 26, 2005 10:45 am

Thanks for your help! I will give University, Allstate, and Peers a call this afternoon to see if they can stop by for an estimate. Their reviews seemed impressive. Although it appears that they might cost more...it is a small price to pay for peace of mind!

I'll make sure to provide everyone with feedback regarding my experience.

Thanks again!
Last edited by sunnyk on Wed Oct 26, 2005 12:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Diane

Postby Diane » Wed Oct 26, 2005 12:29 pm

You're right . . . don't pinch pennies on something like this. I would be interested to know who recommended Moving Coach, JD Carton, and White Glove to you, since all of those companies are dubious or worse.

sunnyk

Postby sunnyk » Wed Oct 26, 2005 12:36 pm

- My REMAX agent on the purchase recommended Moving Coach and Nice Movers.
- My Coldwell agent on the sale recommended JD Carton since he had used their services last month. In fact his mother, also an agent, couldn't stop talking about how professional and courteous they were during her sons move. -A friend of a friend used White Glove several years ago and didn't run into any problems.

Diane

Postby Diane » Wed Oct 26, 2005 12:45 pm

Interesting. We have determined that ReMax agents are receiving referral fees from MovingCoach. The Nice Movers is actually on our Blacklist, if it's the company in Brooklyn - http://www.movingscam.com/cgi-bin/BLReport.cgi?ID=12

The White Glove in NJ is a known scammer. As you probably know, JD Carton is currently "out of service" due to an unpaid fine - http://www.movingscam.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=6281 With reference to Carton, I believe that companies frequently do little favors for real estate agents such as moving their relatives at reduced cost in the hope of future referrals. Some may actually pay referral fees to the agents. For that reason, I would have to say that recommendations from real estate agents are somewhat suspect in my mind.

sunnyk

Postby sunnyk » Wed Oct 26, 2005 1:51 pm

Are all Atlas Agents reputable? I noted that University was recommended.
However several other Atlas agents are located closer to me.

All Season Movers, Inc. (Agent# 0198) 7.11 Miles
Address: 12 Breiderhoft Rd., Kearny, NJ 07032

Confianca Moving of New Jersey, LLC. (Agent# 2264) 10.84 Miles
Address: 33 Rutherford St., Newark, NJ 07105

Kilpatrick Moving & Storage (Agent# 1250) 15.08 Miles
Address: 147 Walnut St., Northvale, NJ 07647-2190

Diane

Postby Diane » Wed Oct 26, 2005 1:55 pm

Sunny,

The other Atlas agents might be OK but the only people that I actually KNOW (from many phone conversations) are the ones at University. I plan to meet with them in person next month because I like to do a face-to-face thing if possible. I would say, you can trust University but I'm not sure about the other companies you mention. You could actually call University, read them the names of the three agents, and ask which one or ones they would particularly recommend (if any).

sunnyk

Postby sunnyk » Tue Nov 01, 2005 10:57 am

So, I finally received my estimates from Allstate and University (Peers was booked). I was hoping that I could get some feedback before I make the final decision.

Allstate:
- 1 Van / 4 Men @ $188/Hour:7 Hours($1,316)
- 1 Hour Travel Time ($188)
- Packing and Unpacking 6 mirror cartons, 2 Queen cartons and one crib carton ($86)
- Fuel surcharge ($33)
- Insurance with a valuation of $32,500 and a $500 deductible ($243)
Total estimate with Insurance $1,871 (Final price based on actual time)

University:
- 1 Van / 3 Men @ $130/Hour: 8 Hours ($1,040)
- 1 Hour Travel Time ($195)
- Packing and Unpacking 8 cartons@$24/carton ($192)
- Packing and Unpacking 1 crate for a glass dinette ($166)
- Fuel surcharge ($29)
- Insurance with a valuation of $30,000 and a $250 deductible ($210)
Total estimate with Insurance $1,832 (Final price based on actual time)

Both estimates seem comparable. However, I am leabning towards Allstate since the price is for 4 men. Also, I am not sure if I should take the insurance.

Any suggestions?

Diane

Postby Diane » Tue Nov 01, 2005 11:24 am

Hi - I am no expert but I think I would also lean toward Allstate because if University is estimating that it will take 8 hours for 3 men to do the job, that is 24 man-hours, so if there are 4 men with Allstate it seems logical that it might take them 6 rather than 7 hours, which would save you some money.

I don't know how to advise you about the valuation coverage. From what I've read here, I think most claims on local moves like yours are for relatively small amounts (around $100-$200), so most likely you would end up paying for any damage yourself since you have relatively high deductibles. A lot depends on how valuable your things are and your level of risk tolerance.

Both companies' quotes look good to me. Good luck, and please do report back to us on how it goes.

sunnyk

Postby sunnyk » Tue Nov 01, 2005 12:54 pm

Thanks for the guidance.

I am also going to check with my Homeowner's Insurance carrier to determine what type of coverage I have in place for damages associated with moving.

I will certainly post details of my experience on this site for the benefit of others!

Diane

Postby Diane » Tue Nov 01, 2005 1:19 pm

We have never found any homeowner's or renter's insurance policy that covered damage from breakage, scratches, dents, etc. - the things that are most likely to happen, in other words. The reason is that such insurance would not cover you for such damage if the item were in your own home, so it would not cover you for such damage if the item were in transit either. The logic of the insurance companies is that the moving company's coverage should be the thing that protects you in the case of such happenings. Homeowner's or renter's insurance will usually protect you against catastrophes like fire or flood or theft of the entire moving van, but the moving company's coverage will duplicate this and will not cost you anything.

sortimat

Postby sortimat » Tue Nov 01, 2005 3:05 pm

Although I can't recommend any to use, definitely stay away from A Professional Movers.

Return to “Open Community”