DC to San Francisco move -- question on moving practices.

Our open community forum is for general moving related questions, comments, and useful information about local and interstate moves.
arlingtonmove

Re: DC to San Francisco move -- question on moving practices

Postby arlingtonmove » Mon Sep 26, 2005 5:09 am

Good to hear feedback on JK. I am leaning in that direction. They also offered lots of free boxes which is good as I am packing myself.

arlingtonmove

Postby arlingtonmove » Tue Nov 01, 2005 12:15 am

Thought I'd follow up on my experience moving to SF from Arlington VA...

I ended up using Allied through Victory Van Corp - a west coast affilliate actually did the move. Everything went great. The driver and his team were good guys. My stuff arrived exactly when they said it would. One box was missing because of an issue with the truck, but they found it the evening the moved me in and drove it into the city a couple days later.

After reading all of the scary move stories on this site, I was really worried, but my move couldn't have gone better. And Allied actually gave me the best price (see one of my previous posts for who i looked at).

I used Dependable Auto Shippers to ship my car. I was shocked when my car arrived 1 week EARLY! Again, no problems at all.

MusicMom

Postby MusicMom » Tue Nov 01, 2005 12:57 pm

Thank you for the review! It really helps!

bonnfire

Postby bonnfire » Wed May 10, 2006 9:00 pm

Did you end up using Matthew Moving Co. for your move? We are considering them now for a move from MD to Boston. Would you recommend them? If you didn't go with them, who did you go with and do you recommend them?

QualitywithaK

Postby QualitywithaK » Sat Oct 21, 2006 2:15 pm

With regard to Quality Services Moving, I would absolutely not recommend them. We are moving cross country using them from DC to SF, and have yet to receive our things. They have outright lied to us twice as to when our furniture would arrive. We expected our things on a saturday delivery, and had checked the status of our items during the week, and were told it would arrive as expected. The day before delivery we were told to expect a call that would let us know when the deilvery time would occur. When we did not hear from anyone we called the company and were informed our items were bumped from this weeks' shipment and were still on the east coast. No attempt was made to contact us or warn us of the delay. After several calls during the next week, we were confident that our things would arrive on a saturday in the a.m., as our furniture was supposedly in L.A. on that Friday. Well, you can imagine what happened. No van at the scheduled time. So another round of calls were made, and it turns out our things are still in Los Angeles. These guys are completely unprofessional, and the office staff could care less about you or your things, assuming they'll actually return your calls. So for your own sanity use someone aside from Quality Services Moving.

Diane

Postby Diane » Sat Oct 21, 2006 3:13 pm

Just to be sure who you are talking about, is this the independent company in Lorton, VA with website www.qsmoving.com?
Diane
Check out domestic companies on this thread. Click here for a detailed, authoritative article on international moving.

MusicMom

Postby MusicMom » Sat Oct 21, 2006 3:40 pm

Hmmm, guess this kindof seals them in my book. One of my former colleagues worked for them before the job we shared, and said they seemed like a good company, and he didn't hear any customers complain. But after I said that here, some iffy things have come to light, and now this. I do know they have a good-size warehouse, it's in the same building as NoVA's best mechanic for high-end imports- Metro Automotive (sorry for the plug), I've seen their clean-looking trucks around a lot. At one point, I thought they were Wheaton agents, but they're not, they're independants.

I'm sorry your move is going so badly. Except for the delay, have you experienced other problems? Did the loading go OK? Any price changes, or was the estimate close?

This is an example of why moves of long distance should not be handled by companies with only a few trucks (they have 5), at least 10 is the barest minimum. No offense, QualitywithaK. Just a learning moment for us.

NoVAowner

r

Postby NoVAowner » Fri Aug 03, 2007 2:09 pm

as
Last edited by NoVAowner on Fri Aug 03, 2007 7:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Jim

Re: DC to San Francisco move -- question on moving practices.

Postby Jim » Fri Aug 03, 2007 5:45 pm

As bad as they are, you did something most movers consider unforgivable: you put a stop on your check. Not only did you decide to breach your contract for services they rendered, you essentially invited the rude and sarcastic comments you're receiving. I know I would be less than hospitable if you did that to me. As bad as this mover is, they fulfilled the basic terms of the contract. You might not have liked how they treated your belongings (I don't for a minute and I think what they did is terrible), however that's why there's a claims process.

Now the claims process ONLY begins when you pay for your items in full and the check clears. This is standard in all moving contracts. Since the check hadn't cleared, the mover was not obligated to send a claim form to you until the check cleared (some movers won't even have their claims department speak with a customer UNTIL the money is received into the account), though they could have returned a call and said, "we can't send you claim forms until your check clears." When you stopped the check, you (1) breached your contract, (2) stopped the claims process, (3) essentially gave the mover an out for not doing what it is you wanted him to do, and (4) brought unnecessary wrath of a mover upon you. He might be rude and sarcastic, however I know I would be if you did that to me.

There are few things a customer can do to earn the legitimate anger of a mover. You did one of those things. I'm not asking you to apologize; I am simply pointing out to you why you have earned his sarcasm and anger.
It's Sunny Somewhere In The World

Return to “Open Community”