ALERT - avoid My American Movers (MC #434317)

Our open community forum is for general moving related questions, comments, and useful information about local and interstate moves.
rbadin

ALERT - avoid My American Movers (MC #434317)

Postby rbadin » Mon Oct 17, 2005 12:49 pm

I just had a terrible experience with this company and want to know if anyone knows more about them (other than the 2003 posts I already read). There are many details to the story, but essentially it went as follows:

I spoke with the owner Ameera one month ago to schedule a move from NYC to Los Angeles. The move was small - some personal effects of my now deceased father's that remained in his NYC apartment. I informed Ameera of the nature of the move, how important it was, and that I would be travelling to NY from LA to complete the move. She sent me a quick bid and told me to get back to her with the date I want to reserve. I did - for Friday, the 14th of October. She also mentioned that I would have to contact her about five days before the move to firm up details. I did in fact call to do that and was told that Ameera was away from the office, but was assured by one of the salespeople that I could firm up arrangements with her in lieu of Ameera. We settled on the price of the estimate and again I stated that I would be travelling to NY from LA just for this move, and that it was very important that I confirmed the exact date and time of the move before I actually left for NY. I explained that the condo had moving rules and that an early move during a work day was necessary. I got lots of assurances that this was understood. I then left for NY. When I landed I got a message from Ameera confirming the move for Saturday, October 15! I called immediately and I was upset, telling Ameera that we had always set the move on the Friday. She told me that she would call the local mover and get back to me. When I didn't hear from her I called back again. I spoke with her salesperson who confirmed that the date had been changed again to Friday. I was assured that everything was on track and that I had nothing to worry about. Friday arrives and the movers are not at my father's apartment at 9 am. I call Ameera and I am told that the local movers won't be able to come until 10 am. I am finally given the name of the local movers (Mega Freight Movers) and when I do call I am told that they were never able to do the move on Friday, that the first they heard of this was in a voicemail message the day before and that due to the Yom Kippur holiday that message wasn't received by them til that morning. When I call Ameera again she disputes this and tells me that they will arrive at 1 pm. I wait til 1 pm and no one arrives. I call again and am told that now no one can come til 2. Then 3. Then 4. Then 4:30. And then finally I am told by the local movers that they cannot come at all.

When I contact Ameera to tell her that I now have to go back to LA with the move incomplete and that I am now out of pocket for the expense of the ticket, cab fare, etc, and that I am requesting that her company reimburse me for those expenses as I relied on her assurances she says and I quote: "No. No. No. I will not take responsibility for this."

Ameera then tried to arrange for the men to pick up the items at 6:30 pm that night - long after the condo rules allow a move - rules that I told My American Movers about several times. She suggested that the items then be placed in a truck over night and that the move be completed on Saturday. Weekend moves are against condo rules. Besides, the last thing I was about to do was trust either My American Movers or Mega Freight with my property at that point.

I now have to redo the entire project, find a good mover, travel back to NYC, etc. to pick up my father's things. It was a nightmare. I hope this story helps others.

Diane

Re: ALERT - avoid My American Movers (MC #434317)

Postby Diane » Mon Oct 17, 2005 1:03 pm

This company has tried to create confusion with a very good moving company in Long Branch, NJ, called American Movers (a Global and North American agent). I have changed the topic heading to an "ALERT - avoid" in an attempt to warn others, because Google often picks up these topic headings. The company is supposedly located in Van Nuys, CA, but solicits a lot of business in the NY metro area.

I know it was a hassle, but you are actually very fortunate that no one came to pick up your things. When you re-schedule your move, you might consider calling Moovers, Inc., which has performed very well for many people posting here. See this thread for contact information and reviews - http://www.movingscam.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=4655 They are in the Bay Area but accept return loads from the East Coast. Alternatively, Broadway Express now has a 5-linear-foot minimum (about 2000-2500 pounds)--see many good reviews at the top of the message board.
Diane
Check out domestic companies on this thread. Click here for a detailed, authoritative article on international moving.

rbadin

Postby rbadin » Mon Oct 17, 2005 5:07 pm

Thanks. I appreciate the information. So, are you saying that you've heard of other mishaps by My American Movers? Have you ever encountered situations where movers have reimbursed customers who relied on their assurances? I realize there is no written contract, but I would think that they might want to keep up good will. I will be submitting a letter to the Better Business Bureau as well.

Diane

Postby Diane » Mon Oct 17, 2005 6:59 pm

Hi - I haven't heard anything about My American Movers other than what has been reported on this board, but I have no doubt that there are some scams. The company is run by disreputable people, as the 2003 posts indicate. I'm really sorry to say this, but I don't think you have a prayer of getting any money from them. Even reputable moving companies (which they most certainly are not) don't guarantee pickup and delivery dates. And I'm sure that My American Movers doesn't give a rat's tush about good will. You will have to start over. But it's good that you're reporting them to the BBB.

myamericanmovers

Postby myamericanmovers » Thu Nov 03, 2005 12:21 am

My American Movers has not tried to create confusion with a moving company in New Jersey as you have indicated in your reply below. We not aware of any moving companies on the East Coast that we could confuse ourselves with. How you assume that we create confusion with another company is based on your opinion and not fact. You indicated that you have changed the topic heading to "AVOID". Avoid what we didnt break, lose or delay a delivery because we didn't even conduct the move, period. Our office did what it could to recommend a local carrier in the New York area. Due to certain restrictions in New York the carrier that was scheduled to conduct the move was delayed at another delivery they had because the building #1. Did not have an elevator, (flights of stairs) #2 The building they were delivering in required masonite in the entrance of the building before the movers could begin,(which they were not notified of prior to delivery). #3 It was raining in New York that day and that created even a greater problem for the movers work condition. Our office stayed in contact with the customer through out the day every hour on the hour. The problem with her building was the same. No moves after 5:00 p.m. and no moves on Saturday's. Therefore, we did what we could to accomodate her. Unfortunately New York has restriction for movers and this created a problem. There are several factors that contribute to the problems which delayed the arrival of the moving company that could not be helped. Our office is located in Van Nuys and does not solicit any buisness in the New York Metro area as you have stated below. We work and operate out of our office in Van Nuys. Your confusing us with other moving companies who do that. We are licensed, insured and all of our authorities are active. If you would do proper research you would know all of that by now.
Diane wrote:This company has tried to create confusion with a very good moving company in Long Branch, NJ, called American Movers (a Global and North American agent). I have changed the topic heading to an "ALERT - avoid" in an attempt to warn others, because Google often picks up these topic headings. The company is supposedly located in Van Nuys, CA, but solicits a lot of business in the NY metro area.

MusicMom

Postby MusicMom » Thu Nov 03, 2005 8:52 am

Hmm, I would think that the building's stipulation of "no moves after 5 pm" leaves plenty of hours of daylight. If you make a habit of hiring local movers to perform moves after that time period, then, yes, I can imagine there would be a conflict.
Our office is located in Van Nuys and does not solicit any buisness in the New York Metro area as you have stated

Really? Then how did this customer in NYC come to contact your for your business? "Suggesting" a move in her area is not the same as her hiring you and you subcontracting to the NYC mover.

According to teh FMCSA, you do not have a broker's license to hire other movers on your customer's behalf, so how did this "arrangement" come about, anyway? Do you have the paperwork on file with the mover you hired for her as a subcontractor, or did you just call them up out of the blue?

my american movers

Postby my american movers » Mon Nov 07, 2005 5:32 pm

The customer lives here in California and wanted to move things from New York to California and she was referred to us by a local carrier here. We recommended a company that we know and work with to conduct the move, and the customer was well aware of that.
MusicMom wrote:Hmm, I would think that the building's stipulation of "no moves after 5 pm" leaves plenty of hours of daylight. If you make a habit of hiring local movers to perform moves after that time period, then, yes, I can imagine there would be a conflict.
Our office is located in Van Nuys and does not solicit any buisness in the New York Metro area as you have stated

Really? Then how did this customer in NYC come to contact your for your business? "Suggesting" a move in her area is not the same as her hiring you and you subcontracting to the NYC mover.

According to teh FMCSA, you do not have a broker's license to hire other movers on your customer's behalf, so how did this "arrangement" come about, anyway? Do you have the paperwork on file with the mover you hired for her as a subcontractor, or did you just call them up out of the blue?

rbadin

Postby rbadin » Mon Nov 07, 2005 7:05 pm

My American Movers: your response to Music Mom is misleading. When I initially spoke with you about arranging a move from NY to California you told me that your company routinely helps coordinate interstate moves, even though you use an independent local NY moving company to pick up goods. It was not simply a matter of you referring me to another NY company and my taking it from there. You told me that you would be my primary contact throughout. As you know - because we've spoken about this several times - the first time I was told the name of the local mover and given their number was by you on the morning the move was scheduled. I had several conversations with you and Elizabeth up til the day and you never gave me any indication that I should be speaking with them directly. Given that I had to fly all the way from LA to NY for the move, I would definitely have called the local company to confirm details if you or Elizabeth gave me any indication that that was what I was supposed to do. And besides - if it were the case that you were just referring me to a local company, why were you "in contact with me at all times?" It was because your company represented to me that it would be coordinating the move!

As I already mentioned to you before in emails to you on the matter, the fact that it was raining, that the movers were delayed, etc. is irrelevant. When I finally spoke with the local movers on the morning of the move, they told me that the first they heard that they were supppose to me move me was that morning! Given that they had another move scheduled that was delaying them, it seems pretty obvious to me that I wasn't in their schedule!

I have since conducted the move with a very reputable company, Dahill, that visited the apartment beforehand, evaluated the goods and wrote an estimate that was faxed over to me. They were on time and conscientious. Chris Blank is excellent and I would recommend them to anyone who needed an interstate mover located in NY. You should do the same. That would be the professional thing for "a local company" like yourselves to do.

MusicMom

Postby MusicMom » Mon Nov 07, 2005 8:30 pm

Well, that certainly sounds like a brokered move to me! And gee, no license! Hmmm....

Return to “Open Community”