Can one cancel a non-binding estimate? UPDATE

Our open community forum is for general moving related questions, comments, and useful information about local and interstate moves.
stayathomecristi

Can one cancel a non-binding estimate? UPDATE

Postby stayathomecristi » Thu Nov 03, 2005 10:06 pm

I know, I know before I even started my moving adventure months ago I promised myself that I wouldn't go with a company that wouldn't give me a binding not to exceed estimate and I just did. Now, naturally I'm having second thoughts.

I had gotten estimates from four different movers and the thing I liked about this guy is that he kept in contact with me over the past 5 months. He would call me every 2-3 weeks to see where I was at in the process. The others just dropped by the wayside. He seems like a nice guy and has continually reassured me that my move will not cost more than the estimate. He told me that it definitely will not go over the 110% limit and that he expects that it will come under that. Knowing what I know about moving companies (thanks to this website), it's hard to trust and believe him even though he seems truthful.

Fortunately, my husband's company will be paying for the move, but I need to get 2 moves out of the $10,000 that they have allotted, so I'm trying to cut corners wherever I can on this move (like packing everything myself). I do not need any surprises.

I have been totally upfront about what is coming with us, the fact that our interim apartment has stairs, the fact that I will need some items to go into storage, etc. and he says that because I've thought of all those details and been honest that there won't be any surprises. The estimate is what it is. I'm still nervous.

I guess my questions are:

1) Can I get out of my contract?

2) Should I get out of it if I can?

3) Do most people have a good experience with a non-binding estimate?

Thanks in advance,

Cristina
Last edited by stayathomecristi on Sun Nov 13, 2005 3:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Re: Can one cancel a non-binding estimate?

Postby Guest » Fri Nov 04, 2005 3:40 pm

ping

Ruges

Postby Ruges » Fri Nov 04, 2005 5:32 pm

Yea you can cancel it any time you want. But just becouse it is not a binding estimate, does not mean it is going to be a bad move. I would say half the jobs I do are binding and the other half I do are not.

But I could see how you are worried about keeping yourself coverd. Here are the things to help.

Compare the estimate with the other estimates for weight. If his estimate is lower then everyones else, then call him on it. If it is higher, then call him on it too. If his answer is good enough then do not worry.

has anyone talked about a shuttle? Have you talked to people at destination about getting a large ~70' tractor/trailer in there.

You mention some stuff is going to storage. make sure the estimated weight that is going to the storage is correct. The booker cannot set the storage rates for the destination company. So make sure you know what the rates are.

Look at the cube sheet/estimate make sure everything you have is listed on this form. Also go threw the estimate and make sure everything that you need performed is on there. And you should not get any suprizes during the move.
Ruges

stayathomecristi

Postby stayathomecristi » Fri Nov 04, 2005 6:37 pm

o.k., weight seems about right or at least in the same ballpark as the others. (I think it's a bit high, but I am not the expert). My other estimates were 10,000#, 10,437#, 11,000#, and this guy is also 11,000#.

We have not discussed the truck situation. My guess is that it will fit in the complex (our road is open on both sides), but I will call the apartment complex to verify. I don't think a shuttle will be necessary, HOWEVER, it's worth looking into.

Tomorrow, when my brain is working better I will go through the cube sheet and make sure all is listed. I believe that I have done this once, but best to make sure.

Do I just ask them what the rates for stuff going into storage are? What do you mean by the destination company? I do know that they are sending their own people from here to do this move. Maybe I just need clarification on the term.

Thank you a lot for responding. You bring up areas that I should check out in order to be a fully informed consumer. You also put my mind at ease that it's o.k. to have a non-binding estimate. I had a good feeling about this company and the agent, and I'm usually a good judge of character, but I kept getting that little nagging voice telling me "rip off", "rip off"...

Cristina

Ruges

Postby Ruges » Fri Nov 04, 2005 11:23 pm

You can talk to your salesman about the storage rates. But you just need to know if those are the destination companies rates (where the items will be going into storage). And that they are included in the bill at this time.

Oh and to make you feel less comfortable. You may feel good about the salesman. But all he is there todo is sell you the move. You still have to worry about getting a good driver and crew.
Ruges

stayathomecristi

Postby stayathomecristi » Sat Nov 05, 2005 8:49 am

We found our own storage area, so they don't get involved in that at all, do they? On the estimate, there is a charge for mini delivery of $185.40. The facility is right down the street from where we will live.

Is it better to let them find the storage?

Thanks for making me feel less comfortable--LOL. You are right that he is the salesman. Not that that's a bad thing, but that's his job so of course, he will be nice!

Cristina

Michael

Postby Michael » Sun Nov 06, 2005 1:11 am

Stay,

You will also want to maje sure that the truck will be able to access your storage facility at time of delivery, because if it cannot a shuttle will be required.

Best of luck,
Michael

Forget yourself for others and the others will never forget

Postby Guest » Sun Nov 06, 2005 8:50 am

Thank you, Michael! You know, it seems that the closer I get to the move the more I forget important details like that! Back in July I knew that I should check into shuttle for both the apartment complex and the storage facility, but it totally slipped my when it counts--NOW!

Cristina

Michael

Postby Michael » Sun Nov 06, 2005 10:01 am

Cristina,

To be honest, it wouldnt matter if you did or not in the sense that its the drivers call to make whether he will need a shuttle or not, but it helps to be prepared cost wise and helps to give the relocation a heads up of possible service issues.

Another thing to keep in mind is that when your goods come off that truck and are put into a storage unit (public) your goods are no longer pad wrapped, like in the truck. So you may wish to purchase some furniture pads from your storage company for furniture you may have concerns with. Remember your goods will be packed tight inside the unit. And I would also recommend you taking off any shrink wrap off any upholstry furniture, because with the temperature flucuating from warm to cold and warm again, moisture can develop within the shrink wrap and cause mildew.

Best of luck,
Michael

Forget yourself for others and the others will never forget

stayathomecristi

Postby stayathomecristi » Sun Nov 06, 2005 7:49 pm

Great points, Michael, but we have nothing to worry about on the furniture front :lol: . The only decent furniture we have is my bedroom set and the diningroom table and chairs and they will be delivered into the apartment. Our livingroom furniture is in HORRIBLE condition and I wouldn't even be bringing it if my husband didn't keep insisting that we "need" it!!!! Personally, I'd rather sit on the floor. It's 15 years old and we have 4 kids--need I say more?

Boy, that was totally OT!

Mainly I have boxes going into storage, some tools and my lawn tractor.

Cristina

nyaccent

Postby nyaccent » Sun Nov 06, 2005 11:12 pm

Thanks Michael, Since all of my stuff will be going into a storage unit in my backyard, I was going to have the movers leave the shrink wrap on the sofa and loveseat, as I thought it would protect it. Now I will have them remove it, Didn't think of the moisture issue.

PatR

Postby PatR » Sun Nov 06, 2005 11:45 pm

Thanks Michael for being so informative!!

Ruges

Postby Ruges » Mon Nov 07, 2005 11:05 pm

If the sofa is just cloth, and it is a low humidity area I would sugest leaving the shrink wrap on for short term (less then a year). But If it is leather suade or wood it should not be shrink wraped in the first place.

Since it is going into a self storage you should note any damage. As your valuation ends when it goes into a self storage. A good alternate to renting or buying moving pads is to buy paper pads. The storage place might have them if they sell boxes, and if not your mover should be able to bring some for you.
Ruges

stayathomecristi

Re: Can one cancel a non-binding estimate? (eta DOT #'s)

Postby stayathomecristi » Tue Nov 08, 2005 12:16 am

Diane asked me if I would mind posting more details about my 4 estimates. I had all of their DOT and MC numbers written on a piece of paper and have now mislaid it, so if it's not on their paperwork I don't have it right now. It's a little confusing, but I will do my best:

First, I will give you their estimates from June:

Estimate #1-- F.B. Rich & Sons
21 Riverside Drive
Pembroke, MA 02359
United Van Lines agent--MC 67234 DOT 77949

The rep gave me all kinds of estimates with different dates, different scenarios (with storage and without),and discounts based on possible move dates. The estimates ranged from that up to $8689.77 for peak time move with 60 days storage.

The one that closest resembles what I need now is this quote:

This is a FIRM Bid based on 10,000#, load date after 8/8/05 $4,185.

I called these people today for an updated estimate and I recieved a call back from the agent who told me that he had a couple of appointments today, but would have someone work on the numbers and get back to me.

Estimate #2-- Rainbow Movers
30 Industrial Park Rd.
Plymouth, MA 02360
Agent for North American--DOT 70851 MDTE 6152

Guaranteed not to exceed $5,350.59

I have not called these people back. I didn't have a good feeling about them in June for some reason. Am willing to if y'all think I should. They based their estimate on 11,000#.

Estimate #3-- McKee's Moving and Storage
267 Libbey Industrial Parkway
Weymouth, MA 02189
Agent for Bekins Van Lines--DTE 4869 DOT 76029

Guaranteed Not To Exceed Estimate:
June: $4,663.74

Current: $5,811 * This includes items that I added as possible needs, such as shuttle charge of $808.50, drop off at storage facility $45, and 2 flights of stairs at destination--things I hadn't planned on because we were supposed to move from a house to a house.

Estimate #4-- Plymouth Rock Moving and Storage, Inc.
45 Barlow's Landing Road
Pocasset, MA 02559
Agent for Mayflower--MC2934 DOT 125563

NON-BINDING Estimate:
June: Estimate $5,787 Peak, $4,900 off-peak (after Aug 8th).
110%--$6,466.09

Current: $6328.07
110%--$6,960,88

This does not include shuttle charges, but does include delivery to mini-storage $185.90 and, I believe the stairs.

So, there you have it in a nutshell. Any help or suggestions are appreciated. And quick--my move dates are Nov 17 or 18th depending on the company I choose.

TIA,
Cristina

Diane

Postby Diane » Tue Nov 08, 2005 10:38 am

I'm re-posting here one of Cristina's prior posts so people can see the whole picture of this move (bold added):
Just to clarify: The company is paying for our move BUT they do not get involved at all. We choose who we use, we decide how much packing to do, we pay for the move and then they reimburse us up to $10,000. I need to get 2 moves out of that $10,000 so anything I can do to save money will help. (I'm not up for a broadway move, however--two flights of stairs does not sound like fun). So, thankfully there is no third-party involved in the details.

. . . I live near Plymouth, MA and according to my estimate I have about 11,000# (3 Bedroom Cape). I'm moving to Midlothian, VA. On my estimates over the summer I had: Mayflower estimate at 55%, United gave me a peak 57% and non-peak 62%, and Bekins gave me 60%. This was in the middle of the summer.

A few things off the top of my head:

Someone else said that they were underwhelmed by Rainbow, so you're not alone. I would tend to forget about them.

I don't know anything about the other companies you mention so I'm hoping that others will step in here. I don't see any reason why the Mayflower agent couldn't give you a GNTE estimate. A Nonbinding estimate gives you no security as to what the maximum price will be.

I don't know what "FIRM Bid" means in the United quote. You should ask. If it is a Binding quote it should say "Option B" somewhere on the paperwork.

Bekins does not use the 400N tariff, which is why they are talking about stairs and long carries, but I believe that the other three companies do use it. They should not be charging you for stairs and long carries.
Last edited by Diane on Tue Nov 08, 2005 10:43 am, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “Open Community”