Need help selecting company for move from DC to NYC

Our open community forum is for general moving related questions, comments, and useful information about local and interstate moves.
MovintoNYC

Need help selecting company for move from DC to NYC

Postby MovintoNYC » Mon Nov 14, 2005 6:13 pm

I am moving from DC to New York City and am overwhelmed with options, laws and tales of scammers. I hope that someone here can help guide me in the right direction or, at least, keep me from losing the little that I have!!

I am looking for a company that can move my items in Mid-Dec from my highrise apt and store them until about Jan 5 for move into a new apt in NYC. I'll be packing my bedroom and items myself and most esimates say that I have about 1500 lbs of stuff.

So far, here are hthe companies that I have talked with and my impressions:

Unified Moving Services (Hyattsville, MD)- rates seem reasonable, if a touch high, great BBB ratings so far, but they seem relatively new, deposit required

JK Moving (Sterling, VA)- rates are high and storage is additional, but they seem very reliable and well-regarded

Golden Hands (Jessup, MD)- price was very reasonable, but unsure about reviews on this site, seem like a small operation, deposit required

Universal Van Lines (FL, USDOT #1362344, ICC MC #521855)- I have had a lot of trouble finding info on this company. This, plus the fact that they offered me a binding price based on cubic feet make me wary. They are moderately priced. (isnt their pricing illegal??)

Any info or suggestions of additional companies to contact for this move?

Any help is greatly appreciated. Thanks for the amazing service that the contributors on this board provide!!

Sarah

MusicMom

Re: Need help selecting company for move from DC to NYC

Postby MusicMom » Mon Nov 14, 2005 9:15 pm

Some comments on your movers:

Unified Moving- Has a great rating because it is a member. There are no complaints, but that doesn't mean they are good. They have been a member only since March, which incidentally, is when they got their license, not in Feb of 2004 as they claim, and have already had two out of four roadside inspections failed (one for an interstate driver under the age of 21). They have one truck and driver, which is not good for a long-distance move (even though yours may be a one-day job).

Golden Hands is not terrible, but they are not great. Three complaints already, for a small operation. Deposits are a red flag. They also claim to be able to do international moves, which they cannot. I notice this a lot in other movers to be avoided.

Universal Van Lines- Do not use a company from outside your home area. They need to come to your house to view your belongings to get an accurate estimate. See below. Plus, one truck and driver again, they would really be willing to lose business for several days while they come up in their only transport and move you from here to NYC? No, they'd sub-contract out to a mover you've never heard of. Oh, and their real name is Global Van Lines, and their license was revoked from September until two weeks ago, after getting it for the first time in May. Yes, their Cubic Feet pricing is illegal now, good paying attention!. That and they're Blacklisted.

JK Moving is expensive compared to most movers, but of the reports we've heard, they are well worth it. They have over a hundred trucks, so this would be a drop in the bucket to them.

Nomatter who you choose, do not accept any estimate that is not based on a repesentative viewing all of the things to be moved. Any time you are asked to fill out an inventory, not only are you doing thier jobs for them, but you are inviting trouble. The inventories will 100% of the time result in claims of extra items added by you, or extra weight, or some other thing. Some will even put in fine print that estimates, even Binding ones, are voided if not done by an in-home viewing. Be careful.

MovintoNYC

Postby MovintoNYC » Tue Nov 15, 2005 9:52 am

Thanks for the great additional information, MusicMom. Any movers from the DC area that you would suggest that I contact for a quote (or any other threads where this has already been discussed?)

Even though JK gets great reviews, they did eveyrthing over the phone and did not mention coming out to my apt for an estimate. Is this something that I have to request?

Thanks again!!

MusicMom

Postby MusicMom » Tue Nov 15, 2005 7:58 pm

I'm sure if you asked JK, they can come out. It's probably because you have a small shipment. But if they don't, consider another company.

Some of the others that have performed well for people here and on other sites are:

Moyer & Sons (independant)
Hilldrup (United)
Von Paris (United)
Security Storage (United)
Paxton Van Lines (Atlas)
Victory Van Corp (Allied)(beware of name copier Victory Van Lines)
WorldWide Moving Systems (Wheaton)

And I know ther is one more, but I can't find my Post-It that used to live on my computer. There was a flood of requests like this in Septemebr, but I gyuess everyone already left VA and you're the first person to ask for a while. You may want to scroll around the Open Community for some of those discussions. There were about 8 people asking within 2 weeks!

Diane

Postby Diane » Tue Nov 15, 2005 10:42 pm

Moyer & Sons has two very good reviews here -
http://www.movingscam.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=3704
http://www.movingscam.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=6517

I would tend to give them a call as well as JK. Also, if you sign up for membership, people can send you private messages with other suggestions.

ECM

Postby ECM » Wed Nov 16, 2005 1:43 pm

Von Paris is real good..I use them for help in the D.C area and they are an agent for my compatition !!!!! Been around forever and they are the best game in town altho I"ve heard nothing but good things about JK also,but I have never actually delt with them...

MovintoNYC

Postby MovintoNYC » Mon Nov 21, 2005 3:35 pm

Thank you for the responses. I have signed up so that I can receive PMs. I'll let you know what kind of estimates I get and who I go with.

Sarah

MovintoNYC

Postby MovintoNYC » Sat Mar 18, 2006 9:44 pm

Sorry that it took me so long to update the thread.

Following the advice from this board, I had in home estimates from three companies- Moyer & Sons, JK, and Security. The estimates varied greatly in the details, but were all within 500 dollars of each other once totaled. Each company was a little different in preparing the estimate, but I felt comfortable with all three after meeting a rep in person and doing online research. Security actually did the estimate and printed it on-site with a portable printer! All three companies were also very good about setting up in home estimates at convenient times.

Considering that I only wanted to move a single bedroom and a few pieces of other furniture, I decided to sell all of my items and take only clothes and electronics to NYC on my own. Once here, I purchased all new furniture for less than the estimate.

MovintoNYC

Postby MovintoNYC » Sat Mar 18, 2006 9:47 pm

One more item that I forgot to mention. Because I was moving into Manhattan, each company had shuttle fees which made the move much more expensive. If you are moving to a location outside of Manhattan proper, you may be able to use a larger vehicle and greatly reduce costs.

Also, if you do your research first and can speak intelligently about tariffs, shuttles, etc you will be in a much better position to converse with the representative and understand (and question!) the quote! It definitely was a big help to me in understanding why the move was going to be so expensive!

Good luck!

Diane

Postby Diane » Sat Mar 18, 2006 9:51 pm

Thank you so much for posting. I'll add your comments to my summary post on Washington metro area movers. I'm kind of surprised that Security wasn't more expensive than the other two since it is supposed to be the creme de la creme of moving companies.

MusicMom

Postby MusicMom » Sun Mar 19, 2006 1:11 am

Yes, thank you for posting. I admire that after all that work, you kept your options open and ended up saving money. Do you like your new place?

MovintoNYC

Postby MovintoNYC » Wed Mar 22, 2006 10:52 pm

Thanks for asking... and thanks for the compliment, MusicMom. I am very happy in my new apartment in NYC. I actually found my roommate through craigslist and we have a nice two bedroom in Gramercy Park. Everything really came together exceptionally well.

I actually felt rather guilty about not using a service after getting help from everyone here (you all were fantastic!) and meeting with so many companies. However, once I thought it through it seemed that selling my furniture and throwing away a lot of junk was really the smart option. Also, there was less stress in worrying about broken, dented, or missing items. And, ok, it was fun to buy new stuff and redecorate.

On a semi-moving related note, I will warn anyone using Craigslist to find roommates (especially in NYC) to be careful, skeptical, and safe. In my experience, the folks on craigslist NYC are very different than those in DC. I, personally, left a list of my apointments with times, names, addresses, and cell phone numbers with a friend and then had them call and check in on me 15 minutes after each appointment began. You can't be too safe!

azul

Postby azul » Thu Mar 23, 2006 2:22 pm

MovintoNYC-

Do you remember roughtly what the estimates were for your move? I'm doing the same thing next month and I'm in the process of getting estimates.

Also, do you remember whether or not there was a minimum weight they would move?

Thanks.

MovintoNYC

Postby MovintoNYC » Sat Mar 25, 2006 12:30 am

I can't remember exactly what the costs were, but I want to say that estimates were at least $2100-$2600. I could be completely off. I also think that those are "low" numbers and that once the final bill showed up it would have been more with additional fees.

My costs were high because there is a minimum weight charge, which varies by company. So, if you fall below the minimum weight, you will be charged for the minimum. One mover encouraged me to add stuff based on estimations because I came in under the min for all three companies.

Make sure that you get them to come to your apt/home to give an estimate. Don't let them try to convince you otherwise!

Hope that helps... and good luck!

Return to “Open Community”