Local Seattle Movers?

Our open community forum is for general moving related questions, comments, and useful information about local and interstate moves.

Local Seattle Movers?

Postby Guest » Wed Nov 16, 2005 11:17 pm

Hi. I moved from NY to Seattle with ABF and I need tio hire local labor to unload the truck. Any suggestions of reputable movers for this?
Thanks!

Diane

Re: Local Seattle Movers?

Postby Diane » Wed Nov 16, 2005 11:23 pm

This is a local moving company that was highly recommended by a person who worked for Microsoft in the Seattle area:

McCloud Moving in Bellevue
206-248-1095
owners are Mark and Sabrina Zupan -
http://www.movingscam.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=1519

The person who wrote Broadway Express review #121 used Power Movers, which is in both Seattle and Portland and its website is www.powermovers.com.

Other possibilities are hiring workers from a high-rated company on www.eMove.com or www.LaborReady.com.

Hope this helps. If they turn out to be good, please come back to report to us.

Postby Guest » Thu Nov 17, 2005 12:21 am

I looked at PowerMovers and they are running a special of $50/hr for 2 men plus a $25 flat travel fee. They have a 3 hour minimum so that totals $175 for 3 hours.

The two top rated companies on emove.com are "Nice Moves" and "Independent Movers". Nice Moves also advertises on craigslist. I can't find contact information for Independent Movers but I was more impressed by Nice Move's responses to poor reviews.

It seems that my two choices are PowerMovers and Nice Moves. Nice Moves only has a 2 hour minimum.

I am concerned about coordinating the movers with ABF. ABF can only provide me with a 4 hour delivery window, from 2-6pm!!! If I have the movers come at 6pm, and unload 10 linear feet (2-3 hours?), then ABF may not be able to pick up the truck that same evening, and then I would be blocking my neighbor's driveway all weekend. ABF said that they would try their best to deliver the truck earlier but they won't know until the morning on the day of the move, and delivery is not guranteed until 6pm. This means that the truck might come at 10am but my movers won't be scheduled until 6pm (after dark), because clearly I don't want to pay for them to sit around all day to wait for the truck.

Any thoughts on all this?

I am planning on posting about my move after it is complete. At your suggestion, I used All Star Movers on the NY end and was extremelly happy! So far I have mixed reviews about ABF.

Diane

Postby Diane » Thu Nov 17, 2005 2:06 am

All Star is great. Glad you liked them.

To me, Power Movers sounds best. I would suggest calling them and discussing the situation. See whether they could come if you give them, say, two hours' notice. (If they can't, LaborReady may be able to do so.) Then call ABF in the morning and ask when they are coming. In my experience, ABF is most likely to deliver around 3 in the afternoon. Keep calling the ABF terminal for updates and call Power Movers when ABF is on the way. Two guys will easily be able to unload 10 feet in three hours, if only to the ground. Tell ABF that they HAVE to pick up the trailer Friday afternoon/evening. I know it's stressful, because I went through it myself, but I think it will turn out OK.

guest3

Postby guest3 » Thu Nov 17, 2005 6:30 am

How about ABF bringing the trailer Monday?

Postby Guest » Thu Nov 17, 2005 9:24 am

I will call Power Movers today and report back. I can't have ABF come on Monday because I have been storing my stuff with them and by Monday I will be going in to the next 30 day storage period. If you store with them for 31 days they charge you for 60 days of storage!

Postby Guest » Thu Nov 17, 2005 9:26 am

My alternative is to do a live load. This will only give me one free hour of unloading and every 15 minutes thereafter is approximately $30. They say that there is a 2 hour (not 4) window for live loads. If I do a live load, I think that I will need more men?

Diane

Postby Diane » Thu Nov 17, 2005 9:41 am

Hi - I guess you mean a live unload. If you want to go this route and you have two guys there when the trailer arrives, in my experience the drivers are lenient about the two hours. I seriously doubt whether they would charge you for an extra half hour or so, but in any case, two guys can unload 10 feet in two hours (to the ground). I know because my two guys unloaded five feet to the ground in an hour. The driver typically will not stay with the trailer during the two hours but will unhook the tractor and take it back to the yard to do other stuff.

On the storage issue, I am extremely interested in what you say because this is the first I've heard that ABF will store goods in a trailer for months at a time. How much did they charge you for the first month? I know that they will store the mobile storage containers for $95/month per container but I've never heard of them holding an actual trailer for that long. A few days, maybe, but not a month.

I think it would be somewhat unreasonable for them to charge you for an extra month for a few days' extra storage when it's just the luck of the draw that your month is running out on a Friday. I would call and discuss it with the manager of the terminal there in Seattle. ABF is usually very pressed on Fridays and I would think they would welcome the opportunity to deliver on Monday and would not charge you extra.
Last edited by Diane on Thu Nov 17, 2005 10:14 am, edited 1 time in total.

Postby Guest » Thu Nov 17, 2005 10:13 am

The reason my stuff is being stored on a trailer, and not in portable storage containers, is as follows. We were scheduled to move on to 2 portable storage containers. It was raining heavily on the day of the move in NY and ABF basically said that we could not use those containers in the rain. I was quite upset, especially considering that All Star was already at my house when I found this out (I had to call ABF to find this out, they did not call me). I therefore got them to agree to give us 10 linear feet on a trailer plus storage on the trailer at the original estimate for containers.

I did indeed mean a live UNload (oops). They only give ONE free hour in Seattle. Moving on Monay would improve the situation a bit but I am still apprehensive about the thought of the trailer staying overnight. I'm not sure that I can let all the neighbors know that their garages will be blcoked (there is one driveway to 6 garages) so staying overnight is not an option. Clearly one night is better than an entire weekend, but neither are ideal for making friends with the neighbors.

When your movers unloaded 5ft in one hour, was that unloading just to the ground or bringing the stuff inside your home? It sounds like it may be more cost effective for me to have 3 guys. Is it a bad idea to have an odd number of movers? It's $70/hr for 3 movers so the cost does not go up so much.

Diane

Postby Diane » Thu Nov 17, 2005 10:28 am

Very interesting. Where did you move from in NY--one of the outer boroughs? I don't think ABF can deliver the containers in Manhattan but am not sure. Also, I don't know why they couldn't deliver them in the rain. Maybe the forklift operator who delivered them would have gotten wet (?). The containers themselves are rainproof.

Please do post the whole saga when it's over, including details about how All Star performed so I can update their reviews.

Yes, I remember now that there is a one-hour live load/unload limit in Seattle. I think the driver will probably stretch it a bit for you nevertheless. As one driver told someone in Manhattan, "How will they know when I got here?" Yes, I think hiring three men (from Power Movers?) would be a good idea. Two men can definitely unload 5 feet to the ground in one hour because mine did, but 10 feet would be pushing it. $70/hour for three men is quite a bargain.

I think the live unload is the way to go. You say you will have a two-hour delivery window so you can plan arrival of the workers better, and if you keep in touch with the terminal they may be able to pinpoint it even closer, so you won't waste much money on the guys waiting around for the trailer.

Postby Guest » Thu Nov 17, 2005 10:44 am

It does sound like the live unload makes more sense for me. It will probably be a bit more expensive but hopefully not too much more so. If I do a live unload I will insist that the driver stay there just in case the truck needs to be moved.

I am definitely planning on writing my whole SAGA. I was very unhappy with ABF that the rain changed the plans but was happy with the way they resolved the issue. Hopefully my stuff arrived intact. :-)

All Star Moving was amazing. I will review them in detail but I was very very very happy with them.

Guest3

Postby Guest3 » Thu Nov 17, 2005 9:29 pm

How about getting the local moving company pickup from the trailer at the ABF terminal. Would be extra cost but you could pinpoint a time and not upset your neighbors. Just a thought.

Return to “Open Community”