What do I do

Our open community forum is for general moving related questions, comments, and useful information about local and interstate moves.
Miriam Felt

What do I do

Postby Miriam Felt » Thu Nov 17, 2005 3:30 pm

I am moving from Denver,CO to Humboldt, CA. I got three quotes, one from online and two came to the home. The two home estimates included a binding and a nonbinding.
Some of the complaints I read talked about the drivers at the destination demanding more money even though the customer had a binding contract. How do I confirm the weight before the driver starts loading the truck, and how do I get a weight confirmation after driver has loaded the truck.
My household will be put into 2 month storage. Even though the contract says the movers will bring me my stored goods, can they charge me additional when they get the goods out of storage, although the contract has an agreed on price. How do I protect myself from this.
The company offering the binding contract said I do not have to pay anything until the goods reach destination and then I can put it on my credit card. This seems healthy, because if I have problems my credit card company will refuse payment. It just seems to be such a good protection.
I have a lot of moving anxieties. I am old and vulnerable and these people could really take me for a ride.

I need all the help and suggestions for this move.

Thanks all.

Re: What do I do

Postby 23 » Thu Nov 17, 2005 3:58 pm

The best thing to do is to let us know who your are inquiring about.

This way we can tell you if they are reputable or not. This will help us also answer some of your questions.

Miriam Felt

Postby Miriam Felt » Thu Nov 17, 2005 4:01 pm

All American moving services - Mayflower - binding
Buehler Mayflower - non binding

Thanks

Postby 23 » Thu Nov 17, 2005 4:15 pm

You will definitely need to get a "Not to Exceed" estimate. There could be additional charges as you suggested, but these should be limited to shuttles, storage, and things like this. If you have a not to exceed, you will not have to worry about the weight unless you ship items that were not shown to the estimator.

I also suggest you get at least two more in home estimates from companies other than Mayflower so that you can compare them against each other.

Each van line will offer different discounts depending on when you move. They will also give you their best estimate of the weight of your shipment.

As for Buehler Mayflower, they would come strongly recommended by me. I use their agencies on a weekly basis and they are among my best group of agents that I use. I also chose them to help me with a half a million dollar relocation project this year.

They also assisted me in a hurricane relief effort that I participated in that resulted in 6 full truckloads of products for Rita and Katrina victims.

Good luck to you and let us know if you have anymore questions.

Diane

Postby Diane » Thu Nov 17, 2005 4:30 pm

Miriam,

You don't need quotes from two Mayflower agents so I would drop the one that would give you only a Nonbinding estimate unless it will change its estimate to Binding Not to Exceed. At what point are your goods going into storage--in Denver or in CA? Just make sure that the Binding Not to Exceed estimate covers the move into storage as well as the move to CA.

Here is a thread where two people were making moves from Denver very similar to yours - http://www.movingscam.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=6048 Both of them have already completed their moves, and I think that both went with Armstrong (a United agent). Their sales rep was named Freddie.

Another United agent mentioned in that thread is Johnson Moving & Storage in Denver. I don't know whether Johnson or Armstrong is better, but my guess is that they are probably both good.

Why don't you call Armstrong and get a quote from them just for comparison? I am not sure whether Denver is served by the Colorado Springs office, but this is its phone number - 719-475-2800.

If you go with a reputable company like Armstrong, you have almost no chance of being cheated. The company will weigh the truck before and after it picks up your things and it will show you weight tickets if you ask. You are correct that if you pay by credit card you have an extra level of protection. If you have a Binding Not to Exceed estimate, the driver cannot ask you for more money at destination unless you have used extra services like a shuttle.

As "23" says, the main thing to focus on is choosing a reliable company that is well known and then you won't have to worry. Mayflower and United are both reputable but United has a somewhat better reputation overall.

Miriam Felt

Postby Miriam Felt » Thu Nov 17, 2005 7:05 pm

thanks, I've called others and they refused to come out to the apartment. They said they would only give a quote on the phone. I will try united and see what they say.

Miriam Felt

Postby Miriam Felt » Thu Nov 17, 2005 7:06 pm

the stuff goes into storage in california.

Miriam Felt

Postby Miriam Felt » Thu Nov 17, 2005 7:12 pm

Just made the appointment with Johnson on the 28th, agents of United Van lines.

Diane

Postby Diane » Thu Nov 17, 2005 7:14 pm

If your things are going into storage in CA, you may not be able to get a Binding Not to Exceed quote, the way I understand it, because the booking agent in Colorado may not know what the charges will be at the CA storage facility. In that case you may have to accept a Nonbinding quote, which may be OK as long as you're going with a reputable company.

Miriam Felt

Postby Miriam Felt » Thu Nov 17, 2005 7:26 pm

Thanks, I read the other blog. I really appreciate all this help. So far I have estimates of 3300 lbs. I did my own inventory and my own inventory and weight estimation is about 2500 #. I would rather have a high estimate than a low estimate as long as I don't have to pay the higher price and the price is adjusted. I have two very expensive glass tables and these tables have to be crated which adds to the price. So far the estimates have not exceeded $2400 to load and unload. I am doing all packing except for the furniture.

Thanks, let me know if I'm missing anything. American Mayflower offered free boxes, so I went over and picked up some used boxes.

Diane

Postby Diane » Thu Nov 17, 2005 7:38 pm

It sounds as if you're doing everything right so far. I can see that All American is in Aurora and Buehler is in Denver. I'll ask one of my contacts which one she considers to be better.

Miriam Felt

Postby Miriam Felt » Fri Nov 18, 2005 6:22 am

Thank you

Is insurance good or bad and if it is good is 0 deductible the best option, regardless of price? Thanks.

Miriam Felt

Postby Miriam Felt » Fri Nov 18, 2005 6:49 am

There is a difference between the two Mayflower estimates. Buehler estimate for insurance is approximately 20% higher, I am being charged for elevator time at $100+ an hour (the building is repairing an elevator) and there is a 1 % difference in the discounts. Although I am using e=mail to ask questions, neither agent is really responsive. So scary. The internet scam artists are more responsive.

If I have to store my stuff, (not necessarily financially) would it be better to store it in Denver and when I'm ready have it shipped to Eureka, or would it be better to ship it to Eureka and store in Eureka. I'm looking at 2 months storage. How could I find out the advantages or disadvantages of these methods.

To anyone who reads and answers this, Thanks so much. I have a lot of angst about all this.

Diane

Postby Diane » Fri Nov 18, 2005 10:24 am

Miriam Felt wrote:Although I am using e=mail to ask questions, neither agent is really responsive. So scary. The internet scam artists are more responsive. . . . I have a lot of angst about all this.

Yours is a common comment that I hear from people. I don't know how much stuff you have (how much do you have?) but especially with smaller shipments, the reps for the big van lines often show little interest, whereas the scammers are all too interested. People tell me that the scammers answer questions (and sometimes do in-house estimates) immediately, whereas they have to wait a long time for the reputable companies to respond. If you had a sales rep who was warm and concerned, that rep could address your anxieties. That's why I suggested calling Armstrong--the people in that other thread seemed to like the rep (a woman named Freddie).

It's usually best to store goods in the place you're moving to--as you say, not necessarily financially, but for peace of mind. If you have angst about your things, you will feel better if they're nearby. BTW any reputable company will know how to crate your glass to avoid breakage.

You're not moving a huge distance. What I would like to find is an agent that cares about you, that would self-haul your goods, and that has access to a good storage facility near Humboldt. When are you moving?

In Eureka there is a United agent that looks good on www.safersys.org that has about 20 trucks and drivers. It is Humboldt Moving with website http://www.humboldtmoving.com. This is their phone number - 800-427-9683. If you go with a United agent like Armstrong (or Johnson, if Johnson turns out to be good), your agent in Denver could use Humboldt's warehouse to store your things. Actually, Humboldt could even book the move from CA if you want. You could call Humboldt to discuss it. Humboldt would be able to tell you, or at least hint, which United company in Denver would be better for you to use as the origin agent. I have a feeling that Armstrong--and Freddie if she is there--would be better.

turkey79

Armstrong was superb!

Postby turkey79 » Fri Nov 18, 2005 12:45 pm

Armstrong was superb!

I just recently moved from Denver to California (Berkeley) and went with Armstrong. My initial high estimate was a little over 2800lbs and the price was $2,545 which inlcuded a small shuttle truck for $270.00 since the van lines truck could not fit in my alley, 0 deductible insurance for about $160, and they 110% covergae in case I were to add more things after the inital estimate. We did all our packing as well. The shuttle truck was scheduled for Oct. 5th between 8:00am and 10:00am and they showed up at a little after ten which was no problem. The movers were extremely nice and efficient. A box with my tv could not fit through the door so they had to take it off and then put it back on. They did this without complaining and were very quick with this process as well. The window for delivery to California was from Oct. 10th- Oct. 15th. The driver kept in touch with me throughout and they arrived at around 11:00am on the 10th! These movers were also very friendly and efficient. At one point the elevator got jammed and wouldn't open. It contained several of my household items. For at least an hour one of the movers worked on freeing up the elevator while the others finished bringing in all our stuff. Eventually they fixed the elevator and the move was complete. Not a single item was damaged from the move, I was amazed. In addition, the total weight ended up being 400 pounds less than the high estimate. As a result I was refunded $451. You can see why Armstrong comes highly recommended from me. Good luck with your move.

Return to “Open Community”