California to Florida with Moovers, Inc.

Our open community forum is for general moving related questions, comments, and useful information about local and interstate moves.
marilyn

California to Florida with Moovers, Inc.

Postby marilyn » Tue Nov 22, 2005 2:37 pm

I am attempting to move from California to Florida, where I am already located. Besides the logistics of being so far away, the items are in a 10 X 20 storage building, which makes getting an estimate difficult. The company that put it in storage said it was about 6000 lbs, now their estimator says it is over 11000 and will not give a binding estimate for 6k. He wants to do a 'not to exceed' where if the weight is higher I pay more. I told him (All My Sons, Sacramento, CA) that I have done a lot of moves, and never have I heard this called a not to exceed.
Anyway, what would you recommend be the best, most economical way to get this shipped out.

I am very frustrated, since we put it in storage because one estimator said that would be cheaper storing it there and waiting for non-peak season, but now no one wants to give a binding estimate!

Thanks

Diane

Re: California to Florida

Postby Diane » Tue Nov 22, 2005 2:51 pm

Hi - All My Sons has a bad reputation. Are you saying that they themselves put the stuff in the storage unit and now they are claiming that the weight has almost doubled? My strong advice is not to use them. They are probably calling a Nonbinding estimate a "not to exceed" estimate because the rules currently say that you are responsible for paying only 110% of a Nonbinding estimate on delivery. In reality, however, the company can bill you for the excess cost after 30 days. (A change is under way where you will have to PAY within 30 days.) Anyway, sales reps from many van lines are using the 110% rule to claim that a Nonbinding estimate is capped, whereas in fact it isn't.

You can't normally get a Binding or Binding Not to Exceed estimate on things that are in storage, because the rep can't see what's there.

On to the problem of moving your stuff. If a semi can access your storage unit, I recommend that you consider using the freight company Broadway Express to pick it up and move it. They will probably also not be able to predict how much space your things will take in the trailer, but assuming you have 6000 pounds that is about 13 feet. To move that amount from CA to FL would cost you about $2700. You would pay more only if the stuff took up more space. Plus you would have to find loading and unloading labor, but you can hire the driver for about $30/hour and he can probably hire a LaborReady worker for you. There are almost 170 mostly rave reviews on a sticky at the top of the messageboard. In the past, BE has been able to get things out of storage units as long as they have a letter of permission from the owner. I don't think you would have to be there, in other words, although I think it would be advisable.

marilyn

Postby marilyn » Tue Nov 22, 2005 4:07 pm

Yes, they put it there, and now they are saying it has doubled. He even said, I'm not saying you did this, but some people get an esimate, and add more things later. I told him how laughable that was, since we left the state, and they saw/ moved all of it. We used them hourly to put it in, and that went okay, but I certainly don't care for the way they are acting now.

I can't be there, but I can have someone there to watch the load. I have submitted a quote request to Broadway Express. My only concern really is the labor involved loading, unloading, since we can't be there, and I have health problems that will prevent me from moving much.

Thanks for your help. I have moved enough to know a lot of the ins and outs, but this one has proven a bit more difficult! :P

Diane

Postby Diane » Tue Nov 22, 2005 4:16 pm

Where is the storage unit? If it's in the Bay Area, you might be able to get Delancey Street or Moovers, Inc. to supply labor to load the BE trailer. Here are threads with reviews and contact information:
http://www.movingscam.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=2377 (Delancey; talk with Greg Harper)
http://www.movingscam.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=4655 (Moovers; talk with Jayson or Matt)

The only problem is that Delancey Street is now busy with their Christmas tree lots and I don't know whether they would have enough spare manpower. Moovers is in Concord and might be better positioned to help.

If neither of them can help, people have had good luck hiring high-rated companies from www.eMove.com.

Unloading is usually much less of a problem because it requires less skill. You could hire workers from LaborReady and probably do OK with the BE driver supervising them.

bigsteve142

Postby bigsteve142 » Fri Nov 25, 2005 3:58 pm

<advertisement removed by Diane as being against website policy>

marilynh

Postby marilynh » Tue Jan 03, 2006 8:43 pm

ust an update on my move. I had Matt with Moovers Inc (Matthew's Contract Services) meet my representative and do an estimate for me in my absence. I also offered to pay a fee to move items around to get the GNTE estimate.
Not only did they drive out from Concord to Elk Grove, but accepted no fee to move items for the estimate.

They provided the following estimate:

Binding contract based on minimum weight of 7000 lbs and max weight of 8500 lbs, includes all but valuation coverage, at a Guaranteed Not To Exceed Price of $6128.46. Valuation coverage at an additional $298.
He also stated that should the weight come in at the lower end, it would be closer to $5200.

According to my contact, my pickup was today. As they are to weigh the truck after pickup and give the firm price, I e-mailed on Sunday to ask when I should hear, as I need to get the payment from my out-of-state bank. As of tonight, Monday night, I have yet to receive a response.

I will try to update again later, and thank you for your recommendation! 8)

Diane

Postby Diane » Tue Jan 03, 2006 8:49 pm

I talked with Matt today so I know they are back in the office after the holidays. They have an 800 number (800-248-0251), a land line (925-288-0630), and a cell number for Jayson (925-595-6901).

marilynh

Postby marilynh » Wed Jan 04, 2006 8:59 am

Sorry, I should have said it was Tuesday night, but Monday was a holiday, and they did the load today.

At this point, I am very pleased with their service. :D

Diane

Postby Diane » Wed Jan 04, 2006 9:29 am

Good; please don't forget to do a review of your move so we can keep comments current.

marilynh

Postby marilynh » Thu Jan 05, 2006 11:28 am

Spoke to Jayson at Moovers Inc. Matt made the estimate for minimum of 7000 lbs - max 8500 w/ gnte of $6128.46. The weight came in at 6900 lbs (wow, he was only 100 lbs off), so I pay for the minimum of 7000 lbs. Cost is set to $5494.68, which includes the $35k valuation protection. Very reasonable price. At this point, they expect to move out on Friday.

Everything going very well!

Diane

Postby Diane » Thu Jan 05, 2006 11:49 am

Marilyn,

That is an INCREDIBLY reasonable price for moving your things that distance. I know that Moovers is trying to work with people to keep its business going strong in the off season, and I guess they're giving high discounts. People who are moving from East to West have a better chance of getting good deals because traffic is less that way--for example, TX or NY to CA.

marilynh

Postby marilynh » Thu Jan 05, 2006 11:58 am

I was quoted close to that by the U pack movers, which really wasn't an option for me. I am very pleased, and can't thank you enough for the referral! I think the biggest thing was that they would give the gnte on a storage unit, which no one else would offer.

This shows just how laughable the estimate from All My Sons was...

Diane

Postby Diane » Thu Jan 05, 2006 12:05 pm

In contrast to All My Sons, Moovers trusts people, and I just hope that it doesn't get them into trouble. If your move goes well, you could help them by telling others about them since as a small independent company they really can't afford to advertise very much. The East to West moves are what they need most so their trucks aren't going back empty.

marilynh

Re: California to Florida with Moovers, Inc.

Postby marilynh » Wed Jan 11, 2006 3:16 pm

Okay, I'm back! pretty quickly I might add!

So, my goods were picked up on the 3rd, and I received a call yesterday (the 10th) that they would be delivering today the 11th at 9:00 am. They left California on the 7th, arriving in Florida in record time.

They arrived today at 8:15, very well within the estimated time frame of the 9th to the 21st. Part of the reason for the date range was due to my having to let them set it up with my agent, according to her availability. I gave them the cashier's check on arrival for 5494.68 as promised, and they were finished by noon. They even moved a couple of things around, at my request, and of course we gave them a tip for their efforts. They were very polite, and extremely efficient. The item list was 7 pages long.

Everything appears to be intact. The only problem was with the items list and numbering, which was somewhat off, but it appears all is here, particularly the larger, more valuable items.

I highly recommend Moovers Inc. I have made numerous moves over the years, and I must say this has been one of the smoothest. No surprises whatsoever, as it should be!! :D

Return to “Open Community”