advice moving from NYC to LA

Our open community forum is for general moving related questions, comments, and useful information about local and interstate moves.
MusicMom

Re: advice moving from NYC to LA

Postby MusicMom » Tue Oct 25, 2005 5:18 pm

Elizabeth, I suggest you sign up for membership so anyone looking for direct advice from a real estate agent can contact you privately. But unsolicited ads like that one go against the (unwritten) rules.

MusicMom

Postby MusicMom » Tue Oct 25, 2005 5:22 pm

Besides, Elizabeth, I cannot find this company by phone number, license or BBB report. Can you contact me and let me know where to find them?

guest-mark

Postby guest-mark » Thu Nov 03, 2005 6:04 pm

Hi,

I have decided to go with Berger Transfer and storage for my move to LA. Reason being is that even though I felt very good about Dahill the Transfer company in LA "Blue Chip Moving" had numerous complaints about them on the LA BBB website.

I will keep you updated with the move and how it goes.
Thanks,
Mark

Diane

Postby Diane » Thu Nov 03, 2005 7:15 pm

Great - this will actually be our first review of any branch of Berger (Allied), so I will be very interested to read it.

guest-mark

Postby guest-mark » Sat Nov 26, 2005 3:06 pm

Diane,
As promised here's my review of Berger/Allied. Overall I was very happy with how the move went. I would definately recommend them and also use them again if needed.

First the New york segment, the 2 guys that came to pack Darius and Jose were fantastic. They were professional and very friendly put me at ease. Next day the driver and 2 more guys came to load the truck. The only thing I did'nt like was the way they wrote notes about my furniture. They did seem to take care of my stuff.

Next the LA segment. It took my stuff 9 days to get to LA which was in the window that Berger quoted. There were 2 guys on this end to unload, the driver and a helper. They were also very nice and also careful with my things.

So far I have unpacked everything except my artwork which I will do today. There has been a little damage and breakage.

1. A glass Lamp that was packed by Berger and was written on carton do not top. I think it was definately packed under other boxes as the shape of the box was not good. (I am upset about this as I will not be able to replace this artist piece)
2. A champagne glass
3. A bone serving spoon.
4. A piece of wood from the side of an antique curio cabinet was pulled off and nowhere to be found, leaving a mark about 3 inches.

Anyway this was quite a good moving experience. I want to thank alll of you for your advice during this move.

Thanks,
Mark

EastCoastMover

Postby EastCoastMover » Mon Nov 28, 2005 11:39 pm

:( as a driver for a major vanline for over 23 years, this post upsets me..i moved 138 families last year ( most over 15,000 pounds) and had 1 damage claim for a particleboard bookcase that fell apart..mark states he would recommend this mover to his friends and then lists the damage incurred in his move..listen here folks...THERE IS NO REASON FOR ANY DAMAGE...i am now in nashville packing and loading 39,000 pounds on 2 full tractor trailers and it will be delivered in chicago DAMAGE FREE as it should be..if a mover damages that much stuff on a job that small,do not recommend them to your friends unless you want their stuff broken too..sorry to rant but people paying good money should expect good service and it pisses me off that the general public expects to get less than they paid for..

Diane

Postby Diane » Tue Nov 29, 2005 12:46 am

ECM, I think many people have such a low expectation of the moving industry and are so relieved when they don't get actually scammed that they are very tolerant of damages. As a customer just posted about a Planes United company on another thread, "Even though there was damage to goods, things did arrive in full (sort of)." A moving company employee posting on ReloRow.com stated recently that to the public, "we [in the industry] appear to be criminals and lemmings," i.e. witless incompetents - http://www.relorow.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=391

People (including me) have no idea how much driver-caused damage should be tolerated or expected. Using Broadway Express as the standard, I would say that there should be very little damage if the things are loaded correctly and not transferred during the move. And you seem to confirm this by what you posted. But, how on earth are customers supposed to know who the good drivers are? How can they possibly protest if their shipments are scheduled to be moved by not-so-good drivers? Even the origin agent can't do anything.

I've been told that the higher-value shipments are assigned to the higher-rated drivers. When I asked how the van lines would know which were the higher-value shipments, I was told that they would know because of the amount of valuation coverage that was purchased by the customer. Maybe Mark's load was too small to get a good driver or maybe he didn't buy enough valuation coverage. This could be a reason for buying full replacement value coverage. But people with small loads may be out of luck. Maybe they get the dregs of the drivers. Does anyone know whether they do? If so, I guess they should consider going with Broadway Express.

EastCoastMover

Postby EastCoastMover » Tue Nov 29, 2005 7:47 pm

diane..the planners that build loads at major vanlines have no idea how much valuation has been bought by each customer..all they are looking at b4 offering a load is dates locations and cubes to build a full load.for the most part the next empty truck on the list gets the load also the careless guys dont last long cause the owner operators pay for damage thru a system of chargebacks with the vanlines..you pay for valuation and the vanlines also charge whoever does the damage money too..i dont get dispatched through the headquarters anymore as i work for an agent who sells,packs,hauls,and delivers 98.5% of what we do each year just to keep a tight reign on QUALITY...we book over 5mil in linehaul each year and have 7 straight trucks 15 tractors and 50 trailers along with a 110,000 sq ft whse and QUALITY is our main concern..we treat all moves the same...the 1000# cod mini to the 40,000# pack and load..all get on time service from good guys..and yes from time to time accidents happen and there is some damage but to have many items damaged on a small move is unacceptable.

Diane

Postby Diane » Tue Nov 29, 2005 8:14 pm

ECM,

Thanks for clarifying about the valuation. I think the person who told me that may have been trying to say that executives moving under corporate accounts routinely get better drivers than COD customers, which I guess we all agree is true.

EastCoastMover wrote:i dont get dispatched through the headquarters anymore as i work for an agent who sells,packs,hauls,and delivers 98.5% of what we do each year just to keep a tight reign on QUALITY..we treat all moves the same...the 1000# cod mini to the 40,000# pack and load..

A lot of very powerful emotions went through me as I read this, the strongest one being that if I only knew which company you drive for I would try to throw as many shipments as possible to that company.

People have argued with me about it, but after following this messageboard for 2-1/2 years, I believe that companies that self-haul are the ones that customers should use if possible. I base that on the amount of damage that has been reported when goods are transferred out of the origin agent's control. Trouble is that very few companies that book moves on the coasts have owner-operators who deliver shipments cross-country, as I understand it. From your name I gather that you yourself drive only in the Eastern half of the U.S., right?

So a person moving cross-country almost always HAS to go with a driver who doesn't work for the origin agent, right? Do you know of any moving companies (or agents) that not only book the shipment but also self-haul it all the way across the U.S. from water to water? If so, please, please tell me which they are! I know of only one: JK Moving in VA.

EastCoastMover

Postby EastCoastMover » Wed Nov 30, 2005 9:06 pm

diane, a couple of things i need to clarify....first and formost is that ive only recently started looking at this web site and today i was looking back at some old posts and was very surprised to see postings and replies to ECM...that was before i ever looked here so i just wanted you to know i was not trying to mislead anyone,he is not me...i registered as east coast mover because after running water to water for 18 years,dispatched by the vanlines not my agent some problems arose that made me change agents to the one im with now and with my wife 7 months pregnant i told them i wanted to run "shorthauls" till the baby came so i started running chicago to ny..well after 1 month of this i realized i could make way more money and still be thru the house every 10 days or so..that was 4 years ago and im still doing it for the most part unless we have a large pack and load like the one im on right now...it also helps that ,as im told repeatedly,im one of the few that are dumb enough to want to run chic to ny..its alot more work but its more money too.we are based in naperville il and run trucks all 48 states....i am here to help answer any questions or calm any fears if i can..you guys are doing a great service to the public because as anyone with any serious ammount of time in or around the industry knows,the general public is grossly uninformed about the moving industry and as one who has spent his whole life in this crazy business, these scammers and ripoff artists piss me off and need to be exterminated.i dont want to post my agency here cause im not here to get business,i just want to help if i can..if you wqant to know who i pull for,email me and ill let you know...ECM

Diane

Postby Diane » Wed Nov 30, 2005 9:42 pm

ECM,

How confusing - so you are NOT the driver posting as ECM who praised Beltmann and Berger in Chicago and JK Moving in VA? You are NOT the driver who posted this about running between Chicago and NY?
ecm wrote: But who wants a Ny to Chicago lane. - http://www.movingscam.com/forum/viewtop ... 3187#33187

You are NOT the driver who posted this recommending these Boston-area movers?
East Coast Mover wrote:Paul Taylor United in wakefield.
Paul Young Arpin in Braintree
Rainbow Movers in Franklin
Caroll The Mover in quincy
Cant recommend just one. So these are a few of the good one's I no of in the bean town area. And no i dont work for any of these. - http://www.movingscam.com/forum/viewtop ... 7727#37727

Well, anyway, I'm very glad you're here. Are you a VG driver? Then I know from householddrivers.com that you must be one of four people.

Maybe the other ECM was Ruges before he signed up as a member.

EastCoastMover

Postby EastCoastMover » Wed Nov 30, 2005 10:15 pm

nope that was not me as there is one or two on those lists i would not recommend ever...yes im vg and you are getting warmer...:) :roll:

Diane

Postby Diane » Wed Nov 30, 2005 10:21 pm

. . . don't worry about your anonymity; nobody but me is insane enough to read householddrivers.com.

I see Ruges lurking around right now; maybe he'll come on to admit authorship of those posts. The spelling is similar to his.
Last edited by Diane on Thu Dec 01, 2005 10:46 am, edited 1 time in total.

EastCoastMover

Postby EastCoastMover » Wed Nov 30, 2005 10:35 pm

8) BINGO....hey whats up with slammin the website???its just a bitchboard for the bored and weak of mind :lol:

Diane

Postby Diane » Wed Nov 30, 2005 11:48 pm

I just mean . . . well, you know what I mean. You and Ruges talk a lot different over there than you do here, and you know it. :lol: No wonder ladies don't post there . . . What, exactly, did you mean by this, by the way?
givin that i haul mainly my agents natnl accts,i have gotten very creative in getting mine,one way or the other..

:lol: :lol: :lol: No, don't bother to explain . . . I think we all understand all too well . . . :lol: :lol: :lol:

Seriously, if you've looked around this website at all, you know that I've been plugging your company for a LONG time. I'm really glad you're here, and also Ruges. There's a Wheaton driver who also posts here occasionally when I rope him in, but he got kind of fed up with us "pushing the freight companies all the time" (as he put it), so he doesn't come around here much any more. :cry:

Return to “Open Community”