Moving from Silver Spring, MD to Chandler AZ...HELP

Our open community forum is for general moving related questions, comments, and useful information about local and interstate moves.
robo311

Re: Moving from Silver Spring, MD to Chandler AZ...HELP

Postby robo311 » Tue Nov 29, 2005 3:35 pm

I've received two quotes.
Total From Berman United: 4500 lbs, $3,420.
Transportation Charge - 4500 lbs $2678
Packing and unpacking a King mattress and box spring and full mattress and box spring $46.89
Origin Service Charge - $107
Destination Service Charge - $51.84
16% Fuel Surcharge - $428.6
4% Ins Related Rev - 107.15
Discount was 64%
I'm not sure if this is a binding or non-binding type of quote.
The woman who showed up was very professional and thorough. I had a good feeling from her.

My quote from Imlach movers of Ohio (Atlas)
Total charge 4550 Lbs $3,852
Transportation Charge - $2,976
16% Fuel Surcharge - 476.31
Insurance Surcharge 4% - 119.08
Origination Charge - 120.3
Destination Charge - 58.24
Custom Pack 5 Containers - 81.2
Custom Unpack 5 Containers - 20.29
This is a non-binding quote. The statement makes that clear. It also adds that I "may not be required to pay more than 110% or the non-binding estimate at time of delivery."
The guy who showed up representing Imlach was likewise professional and I related with well.

I'm very interested to hear thoughts regarding these quotes, and what I should do next.

Robo

Diane

Postby Diane » Tue Nov 29, 2005 5:50 pm

Hi again - your quotes are very similar and you probably wouldn't go wrong with either company. I can't tell for sure, but Berman may be giving you a slightly higher discount. Can you ask both companies to give you a Binding Not to Exceed estimate? Will Imlach throw in the free full replacement value AAA coverage even though you are slightly below 5000 pounds? Did the companies tell you what company is going to be the destination agent, i.e. what company is going to haul your shipment?

Just a reminder to those reading this that you are moving from Oberlin, OH to Sacramento (since the topic heading suggests otherwise).

robo311

Postby robo311 » Tue Nov 29, 2005 7:41 pm

Sorry about the lack of clarity on my last post. Will someone explain the difference between the different type of quotes (binding and non-binding, etc.)? Why is one better than another?
This is a great help.
Robo

Diane

Postby Diane » Wed Nov 30, 2005 11:05 am

Hi again - most people feel that the best kind of estimate for consumers is a Binding Not to Exceed, where your price can go lower if your actual weight is lower than the estimated weight, but not higher if your weight is higher than the estimated weight. The next best is a Binding estimate where your price is fixed regardless of your actual weight. In both cases your price is capped, but the Binding Not to Exceed gives you a chance of paying less than the estimate whereas the Binding does not.

A Nonbinding estimate is one where there is no cap--you will pay a price based on the actual weight of the shipment. That price could be much higher than the estimate if your weight is much higher than the sales rep thought it was. The only safeguard is that you have to pay only 110% of the Nonbinding estimate on delivery day, but the van line will bill you for the overage above that.

At a minimum I think you should do the following:

1. Ask the Berman rep what type of estimate she gave you. If it's a Nonbinding rather than a Binding Not to Exceed, ask her whether she can change it to a Binding Not to Exceed. (Sometimes when they do this they increase the weight estimate to cover themselves in case customers ship more items than they showed to the sales rep.)

2. Ask the Imlach rep whether he can change his estimate to a Binding Not to Exceed (Atlas calls it an APP estimate, standing for Assured Price Protection). Also ask the Imlach rep what discount he is giving you, or look for it on your paperwork (it should say something like 60%). Finally, ask the Imlach rep whether he can throw in free full replacement value valuation coverage if you have AAA. This is a program that many Atlas agents participate in. I believe that normally you have to have at least 5000 pounds to be eligible, but you are very close to that. If you are going to buy valuation coverage anyway, this could save you money.

As I said before, I know only about Berman and I don't know anything personally about Imlach, but it's probably OK. Your estimated weights are very close, which is a good sign. The driver doing the hauling will probably be OK since both United and Atlas are good van lines.

The only thing I would suggest, then, is trying to get a Binding Not to Exceed estimate from both companies, clarifying the discount that Imlach is giving you, and trying to get the free valuation coverage from Imlach. If the companies will not give you a Binding Not to Exceed, I still think it would be OK to go with them, but you might as well try. Then you at least are comparing two capped bids and you can take the less expensive one if you want. If all you have is Nonbinding estimates, you really have no idea what your final price will be.

JWB

Postby JWB » Wed Nov 30, 2005 12:41 pm

So far I've gotten three estimators to come out, but only two have provided me with their final numbers...

JK Moving - $4,000 - $4,800 if we let them pack up everything. It's a non-binding estimate. Because we're going into storage, we have to work that out ourselves and just let them know where it's going. It's also an additional $150 charge to take it to a storage facility as opposed to delivering it to us...I don't like that. They estimated at 4,000lbs.

Moyer & Sons - $3894 transportation charge, and that's based on 3,000lbs. It's $103 per extra 100lbs, so if we have 4,000 that would up it by another $1,000. Packing is an additional $1,400.

Still waiting on my Von Paris numbers...
Last edited by JWB on Wed Nov 30, 2005 12:51 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Diane

Postby Diane » Wed Nov 30, 2005 12:49 pm

JWB wrote:JK Moving - It's also an additional $150 charge to take it to a storage facility as opposed to delivering it to us...I don't like that.

It sounds as if JK is the best option so far. Maybe someone in the industry can explain why there is an extra charge for delivery to a storage facility, but I believe they have to remove the cloth pads and replace them with paper pads. And it's probably more work to deliver to the facility because they have to stack everything neatly.

JWB

Postby JWB » Wed Nov 30, 2005 12:52 pm

Question, my fiance says that we can handle packing, but from everthing I'm reading about all of the specific ways specific things are going to be packed. How hard is it to file a claim if we pack ourselves? Do they only have responsibility for broken/damaged items in boxes if they pack them themselves?

Diane

Postby Diane » Wed Nov 30, 2005 1:12 pm

The moving company will pay for damage only if they have packed the items themselves, UNLESS you note on the "bingo sheet" on delivery that a particular box has been delivered "crushed."

HOWEVER, if your things are going into storage in a facility not owned by the moving company, my understanding is that all of your valuation coverage becomes null and void once the items go into storage. So I don't think it would be worth it to buy it.

In my opinion, $800 is a small price to pay for the convenience of everything being packed if it includes the packing materials.

JWB

Postby JWB » Wed Nov 30, 2005 2:55 pm

If we go with Von Paris (depending on their pricing), the storage facility would be United and would then be the same company.

JWB

Postby JWB » Wed Nov 30, 2005 4:45 pm

The estimate from Von Paris is for $5,115.89 and it includes packing and one month of storage. We can also pay them after Jan 1st, which is HUGE since we're not getting the money from Intel until the 30th. I think I feel more comfortable with Von Paris.

Diane

Postby Diane » Wed Nov 30, 2005 4:47 pm

I agree, and having Von Paris provide storage is a big plus. People have said that it's sometimes advantageous, taxwise, to have the employer pay the moving company directly, if they will.

JWB

Postby JWB » Wed Nov 30, 2005 4:50 pm

Intel gives us the money in his paycheck, so they won't pay the company directly.

robo311

Postby robo311 » Thu Dec 01, 2005 8:21 am

This regards my move from Oberlin, OH to Sacramento, CA.

I spoke with both Atlas and United agents yesterday to check about the binding quote. Atlas was reluctant and said that if he did a binding quote then the price was fixed one way or the other. If we were light on the lbs. we'd still pay the estimated cost. Berman United was happy to make the quote Binding, and still lower the price if we came in under the weight. Needless to say, I'll go this route because I think we'll come in under the estimated weight.

I also just read a topic on tipping which was very helpful as well. This site has been a wealth of information and I'm very happy to have received your input. If you can think of anything else I should be aware of please submit it.

Robo

Diane

Postby Diane » Thu Dec 01, 2005 10:31 am

robo311 wrote:Atlas was reluctant and said that if he did a binding quote then the price was fixed one way or the other. If we were light on the lbs. we'd still pay the estimated cost.

Hi again - I agree with your decision to use Berman. It sounds as if the rep was more responsive to your needs. (Get the Binding Not to Exceed quote in writing, however.) As for what the Atlas rep said, that is true of a Binding quote where the price can't go up OR down, but what you were asking for was a Binding Not to Exceed quote where your price could go down if your weight turns out to be less than the estimate.

You should be fine. Sometimes the reps can get used boxes for people to use in packing, so you might ask about that. On the day of pickup, the fewer distractions for the driver the better, so if your children are small or you have pets it would be best to keep them out of the way. Show the driver what bathroom facilities he and the helpers can use and have drinking water available. That's about all I can think of. It would be great if you could come back and tell us how it all goes, both in OH and in CA. I'm glad the website was helpful.

Diane

Postby Diane » Thu Mar 30, 2006 8:27 pm

"Robo311" just sent me a Private Message giving this final report on his 12/05 move from Oberlin, OH, to Sacramento that was booked by Berman (United) in Cleveland:
The move went well. The quote was pretty dead on the actual weight. Our actual weight was slightly less and a credit was issued after the move. The movers themselves were good though not going to be host at a high end restaurant. They were strictly business. Not a lot of talk. The main driver was good with communicating his schedule, and all of our stuff made it here in one piece, and as scheduled.

Imlach made a favorable impression too, but I went with the least expensive and the company that would give me a binding quote not to exceed. Berman had no reluctance at all to that type of quote while Imlach seemed hesitant. The driver who drove our stuff to Sacramento was from United Van Lines.

Return to “Open Community”