Graebel or Berger/Allied from NYC to DC?

Our open community forum is for general moving related questions, comments, and useful information about local and interstate moves.
Guest123

Graebel or Berger/Allied from NYC to DC?

Postby Guest123 » Wed Nov 16, 2005 4:28 pm

Hi all. Any thoughts on these two companies? Graebel came out and estimated 3850 lbs and $2880. Berger had me do a self-inventory because the estimator couldn't get here for a while. They gave me a very detailed spreadsheet to do this. It came to 3770 lbs and they estimated $2700.

Also, are these surcharges standard: fuel, IR, orig and dest?

I would love to hear any experiences or advice. Thanks so much.

MusicMom

Re: Graebel or Berger/Allied from NYC to DC?

Postby MusicMom » Wed Nov 16, 2005 4:32 pm

If you can get them to give you Guaranteed Not To Exceed estimates, you'll be better off. Berger may not give one unless they can get their own employee to view the goods, but if they will give one based on your inventory, then great.

A GNTE will be semi-binding. For example, Graebel's $2880 price would be the absolute highest your bill would be (plus additional services like shuttles, if needed). But if yout weight turns out to be less than 3850 pounds, the bill would be based on the actual price. You win both ways.

Their term for GNTE may be fdifferent. I think it is Allied that uses TPG and some other letters.

Michael

Postby Michael » Thu Nov 17, 2005 1:19 pm

Allieds TPG is a binding estimate, not a guarantee not to exceed.
Michael

Forget yourself for others and the others will never forget

Diane

Postby Diane » Thu Nov 17, 2005 1:42 pm

Guest123 wrote:. . . are these surcharges standard: fuel, IR, orig and dest? . . . I would love to hear any experiences or advice.

Yes, those charges are standard. It's impressive that Berger's estimate was so close to Graebel's even without an in-house survey.

You might want to read my Epinions article linked to below for names of some other companies to get quotes from, if you want more. University Van Lines (Atlas) in Rahway, NJ, and Dahill (Mayflower) in Brooklyn are two that have performed especially well for people posting here. Like Graebel and Berger, both would probably move you using their own truck and driver, a plus.
Diane
Check out domestic companies on this thread. Click here for a detailed, authoritative article on international moving.

MusicMom

Postby MusicMom » Thu Nov 17, 2005 2:06 pm

Thanks, Michael. For some reason, I cannot keep in my head what the letters correspond to. What do they call a GNTE-equivalent?

Michael

Postby Michael » Thu Nov 17, 2005 2:12 pm

Total Price Guarantee = TPG = Binding
Guarantee Not To Exceed = GTNE = Actual vs Quote lower of the two is what they pay.
Michael

PMueller

Postby PMueller » Fri Dec 02, 2005 8:15 am

MusicMom wrote:Thanks, Michael. For some reason, I cannot keep in my head what the letters correspond to. What do they call a GNTE-equivalent?

Allied has 2 types of estimates that work off of the Total Price Guarantee: TPG and TPG/GRR.

A straight TPG is a Total Price Guarantee, compares to a Binding estimate.
A TPG estimate with the option of GRR indicates a Total Price Guarantee with a Guaranteed Rate Reduction based on the actual weight of the shipment, compares to a Binding Not To Exceed estimate. The TPG/GRR estimate also indicates the rate per hundred pounds of the reduction on the TPG/GRR estimate that is provided so the consumer can see in advance what reduction will be made per each one hundred pounds.

Diane

Postby Diane » Fri Dec 02, 2005 9:59 am

Thanks, PMueller - I'll add the information in the last sentence to my summary post about estimate terminology at http://www.movingscam.com/forum/viewtop ... 5876#45876 (You might look at that post to see whether you agree with what the person said about Allied's old Option 5.) If you work for Allied it would be great if you could sign up for membership here because we don't have anyone posting here regularly (that we know of) to ask questions about Allied. That way, we could send you Private Messages when things come up. Just click on the "Register" button above.

PMueller

Postby PMueller » Fri Dec 02, 2005 10:14 am

Yes, I work for Allied. I have just registered this morning. A client of mine informed me of this website a few weeks ago, I have mentioned it to other clients since then and decided before I continued referring people I should check it out myself. I found information very informative!

The private consumers need this, at our agency (Blocker Transfer) we try to educate our consumers the best we can in the timeframe we have. An educated consumer can make wiser decisions and learn how to communicate their needs to the company that does not inquire enough to gain the information to provide a good, accurate quote for services.

I will continue to log in and view information as my schedule permits, as I am in sales and as you may know, the free time I have is not often. Please feel free to contact me by private message and I'll provide my daily email address and a contact number in the event you ever need anything. I am a veteran in the industry, having worked for several of the major carriers in many capacities (customer service, administration, claims, sales).

PMueller

Postby PMueller » Fri Dec 02, 2005 6:19 pm

The information provided in 11/2004 regarding the TPG/GRR Option 5 is outdated. Currently the TPG/GRR is executed just as a Binding Not To Exceed estimate. The driver is aware when arriving to load a shipment that it is a TPG/GRR and that he must get the tare weight just prior to loading and immediately receive his gross weight after loading, at which time the agency is then able to adivse the customer of the difference in weight and price if any. If packing is performed by the agency, it is also included in the TPG/GRR. Which means the customer may have many possibilities for reductions, i.e. packing reduction and weight reduction, just packing reduction with no weight reduction, just weight reduction with no packing reduction. I hope this information is helpful.

Diane

Postby Diane » Fri Dec 02, 2005 6:58 pm

It is very helpful, and I added it to my thread (above) on estimates and deleted the obsolete information about Option 5.

Michael

Postby Michael » Sun Dec 04, 2005 10:03 pm

What is Allieds policy on a driver protesting then a TPG/GRR? IF he feels the sales person blew the estimate?
Michael

PMueller

Postby PMueller » Sun Dec 04, 2005 11:43 pm

The driver must contact Allied's central dispatch and indicate he wishes to challenge the shipment. Allied contacts the agency that sold the job (booker - as it sounds like you are in the industry). The agent and salesperson has 2 hours to rectify the situation. This is by several means: In the event that a customer has purchased additional items that was not mentioned or decides to take that bedromm that was going to be left behind, there may be a change order that increases accordingly the weight and cost. In the event that is not the case, the booking office and salesperson has the option of offering the driver some additional compensation to handle without proceeding with challenge, which some drivers accept. The option that I have used with the very few challenges I've had is to tell the driver to proceed with his challenge (which does not effect the customer at all), in the event the witnessed reweigh (which must be done with a representative from the destination agent) is less than 10% the driver loses his challenge. In the event the difference is greater than 10% the driver is awarded the additional compensation and Allied charges the booking agency the difference. Agency discretion is used as to the chargeback to the salesperson, which most have a policy of doing. Especially for a seasoned salesperson, a salesperson new to the industry may have a curve for their first 90 days.

The driver's challenge must be made prior to loading anything onto the truck for it to be valid, and he must wait a maximum of 2 hours until the situation is rectified prior to loading, he may continue inventory etc during this timeframe but may not load anything at all.

Example: When my office receives a call from Allied dispatch, I am contacted immediately, the customer is not aware of the challenge, our drivers do not indicate this to the consumer until the booking office is contacted and the shipment is discussed. I contact the driver immediately to find out what his assessment is. If it is identified that a customer has purchased something in addition or has decided to take the bedroom that was being sold or left to someone then I contact my customer directly and discuss the addition to include weight/cost. At which time we then write a change order to reflect the changes, the change order is completed and signed by sales representatibe and shipper. In the event that the customer has not added anything, I discuss with the driver the weight he believes to be there and why, the decision is then made to provide him some additional compensation from the booking office and sales commission in the event we feel the driver may have some additional weight to a missed room, etc. He may proceed to load and drop the challenge. If I am confident in the estimated weight, which I am in most cases, then I ask the driver to proceed with the loading and authorize the challenge to proceed. My customer is not affected by the decision to allow the driver to challenge, the only time my customer is affected is in the event they indeed are taking more than was originally discussed. The driver then reweighs at destination a requirement from Allied is that it be witnessed by the destination agent in order for the driver to be awarded compensation in the event the difference in greater than 10%.

Of course, the estimates are only as good as the representative that provides them. As in most cases, there are good ones and bad ones (estimators that is). The reps that take their time in the home and perform thorough walk throughs and that communicates well with the customer are of course the more accurate ones. The rep that rushes through and does not discuss issues/concerns thoroughly and that does not ask about the attics, sheds, backs of cabinets, under beds, etc (which all of these locations should be opened and looked into) are of course the reps that drivers repeatedly have issues with. We have found in our office the TechMate works wonderfully for us. The ease of operation, the options available for printing the cube sheet (inventory sheet) with items broken down room by room and even lists the items that we saw that the customer indicated was not moving has been a great tool that none of us where I work would want to be without. As we present our estimates, we always print the breakdown of the items shipping and not moving, I review this with my customer just as I review my estimate and order for service.

The TPG driver challenge and TPG/GRR driver challenge is the same. You asked about the driver challenging the TPG/GRR just wanted you to know that the driver has the same right and procedures to follow if he wants to challenge the Total Price Guarantee estimate also.

I was going to PM you earlier today and did not get around to it, I am curious, which van line do you represent? I've been in this business since 1982 but only in the southeast, GA and FL. I attend many difference industry functions though and know quite a few people with the major carriers. I did not know about this website until a customer of mine informed me about it - I had informed a few other customers after his praising of the site - but decided to check it out before I repeatedly referred customers to it. I have to admit, I've always known there were scammers out there, and we have rescued a few from disasters in our market areas of Central Florida but I have been amazed by the numbers reported here and the complaints I've read. It sure makes me glad to be associated with a company that operates ethically!

Return to “Open Community”