Moving from MD to AZ

Our open community forum is for general moving related questions, comments, and useful information about local and interstate moves.
CFK

Moving from MD to AZ

Postby CFK » Tue Dec 06, 2005 4:11 pm

I wanted to see if anyone had any experience with AMC Relocations in Maryland or Ambassador Worldwide Moving Systems (Agent for Allied) in Dulles, VA. Both look pretty good. They are not members of the BBB, but Ambassador only has 1 complaint in the past year, and AMC had 3 I believe. Everything looks good to me.

Also, for anyone using Northstar moving in CA I would urge caution. The guys from Northstar who packed my stuff were real good guys, but when I moved to Maryland it was in the hands of Moishe moving. The guy from Moishe came by himself and the other unloader never showed up. My roomate and I were forced to help the guy unload the truck. The guy from Moishe's never helped put my stuff back toghether and just left me there. They also told me they would give me a 25% discount on packing, but I had to remind them over and over until I actually got it.

Good luck to everyone and thanks for any input!
-CFK

Diane

Re: Moving from MD to AZ

Postby Diane » Tue Dec 06, 2005 4:19 pm

CFK wrote:Also, for anyone using Northstar moving in CA I would urge caution. The guys from Northstar who packed my stuff were real good guys, but when I moved to Maryland it was in the hands of Moishe moving. The guy from Moishe came by himself and the other unloader never showed up. My roomate and I were forced to help the guy unload the truck. The guy from Moishe's never helped put my stuff back toghether and just left me there.

Thanks for this confirmation of what I've been telling people and what the posts here have suggested. Northstar and its sister organization Moishe's are OK for local moves but on long-distance moves (even for Moishe's from Chicago to the East Coast) their performance has been marginal. "Carefulamy" also reported that Moishe's delivery people were inadequate when she moved from NYC to SF. "Andrea77" experienced a delivery scene similar to yours when she moved from Chicago to DC - http://www.movingscam.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=6171 Only one guy (the driver) showed up to unload. The companies just can't handle the follow-through well on long moves like those.

I'm sure that someone will come on to advise you about the two companies you're asking about, but I just wanted to make this comment.

Postby Guest » Tue Dec 06, 2005 8:03 pm

Thank you Diane. It is ashame this has happened to so many of us. That's why I'm trying to be more careful this time.

CFK

Postby CFK » Tue Dec 06, 2005 8:04 pm

Sorry, forgot to log in, last post was mine.
-CFK

Diane

Postby Diane » Tue Dec 06, 2005 8:39 pm

Hi again - I just looked up AMC Relocations in Waldorf, MD, on www.safersys.org and it appears that it's a fairly small company (8 trucks and 8 drivers) and that it has recently become an agent for National Van Lines. Its interstate licensing authority may be through National. I don't know much about National Van Lines but my impression is that its reputation is somewhat lesser than that of the majors. I am wondering why you settled on this particular company, and also on the Allied agent that you name. They might be better for local moves than for long distance.

In your area there are many companies that have stellar reviews and comments on this messageboard and I guess my advice would be to get estimates from a few of those as well. Some that come to mind are Hilldrup and Von Paris (both United), JK Moving (independent), and Paxton (Atlas). MusicMom is an expert in the area and she will know of more. I would definitely go beyond the quotes that you have.

MusicMom

Postby MusicMom » Tue Dec 06, 2005 8:52 pm

I would actually suggest looking at Worldwide Moving Systems, a Stevens agent right there in Waldorf. They have had good reviews, I myself have seen some of their guys thoroughly inspecting their load of vaults at a Wawa BEFORE going in for coffee, and they have a lot of trucks.

CFK

Postby CFK » Tue Dec 06, 2005 8:55 pm

Thanks for the advice Diane. I picked these companies because they are agents for national companies and I was tired of sifting through all the movers that I found to have very bad reputations (Giant and Chesapeake to name two). Perhaps may relying on a big company was a mistake. Ambassador looked good because they have been in business for a long time, have ISO certification, and only have one complaint on the BBB in the past year (which I have never seen for a moving company). I'll look into the other companies you suggested and will look forward to Musicmom's advice.
-CFK

MusicMom

Postby MusicMom » Tue Dec 06, 2005 8:57 pm

ping!

CFK

Postby CFK » Tue Dec 06, 2005 8:57 pm

MusicMom wrote:I would actually suggest looking at Worldwide Moving Systems, a Stevens agent right there in Waldorf. They have had good reviews, I myself have seen some of their guys thoroughly inspecting their load of vaults at a Wawa BEFORE going in for coffee, and they have a lot of trucks.

Thanks Musicmom

Diane

Postby Diane » Tue Dec 06, 2005 9:07 pm

Ambassador Relocations, Inc. (its real name) with MC #210441 may be OK. Having ISO certification is certainly a good thing. It did have an involuntary revocation of its interstate licensing authority between 1999 and 2001, according to safersys.org. The people who would know about this company are "Rick" and "PMueller" (who works for another Allied agent) so if they don't come on to comment you could send each of them a Private Message to ask what they think of Ambassador vs. (for example) Von Paris or JK Moving.

CFK

Postby CFK » Tue Dec 06, 2005 11:44 pm

Diane wrote:Ambassador Relocations, Inc. (its real name) with MC #210441 may be OK. Having ISO certification is certainly a good thing. It did have an involuntary revocation of its interstate licensing authority between 1999 and 2001, according to safersys.org. The people who would know about this company are "Rick" and "PMueller" (who works for another Allied agent) so if they don't come on to comment you could send each of them a Private Message to ask what they think of Ambassador vs. (for example) Von Paris or JK Moving.

Thanks Diane. Didn't know about the involuntary revocation. I'll PM "Rick" and "PMueller."
-CFK

Rick

Postby Rick » Wed Dec 07, 2005 5:36 am

Ambassador is a subsidiary of Interstate Van Lines http://www.invan.com (US DOT #: 32658; MC #: 1745), a large, nationwide DOD carrrier based in Springfield, VA Their quality scores are above average, however, most of the trucks in their fleet primarily handle their military traffic. A commecial move to Arizona would likely be handled by Allied Van Lines.

Paxton Van Lines, Hilldrup and Security Storage Company all have large fleets and would be more likely to service a cross country move on their own truck.

PMueller

Postby PMueller » Wed Dec 07, 2005 8:54 am

CFK-

My preference of excellent quality and service providers in your area includes both United & Allied agents

Bayshore Transportation (Allied) in Woodbridge, VA (about 40 miles from Waldorf, MD)

Victory Van Corporation (Allied)

Hilldrup Moving (United)

Von Paris & Sons (United)

The suggestions that Rick has made in the area are also good, I personally have not had as many experiences with the agents he has listed, but throughout the industry they are all known well and trusted throughout the system.

When the representatives are meeting with you in the home, interview them - use the "gut" feeling and base your decision off the thoroughness and information provided. You don't have to sign up on the spot, review your estimates when you are not pressured and always check back on the site and ask any questions that you are uneasy about.

Best of luck - let us know how things turn out!

CFK

Postby CFK » Wed Dec 07, 2005 10:49 am

Rick and PMueller thanks for the suggestions! I'll let you know how things go.
-CFK

CFK

Postby CFK » Thu Dec 08, 2005 10:54 am

PMueller, Rick, Musicmom, and Diane,
Alright, my move quotes from Ambassador and Hilldrup are about the same EXCEPT Hilldrup is a binding estimate. My shipment is about 1700 lbs. but the price is bound at 2100 lbs. which means I am paying for 400 extra lbs. That is my only concern with Hilldrup. Ambassador is non-binding and a little under Hilldrup (about $40). I yield to those with more experience as to what sounds better.
ALSO, the rep from AMC Relocations never came by for an in-home estimate yesterday as she said she would.

Return to “Open Community”