VT to NM with McLure North American?

Our open community forum is for general moving related questions, comments, and useful information about local and interstate moves.
sma

VT to NM with McLure North American?

Postby sma » Mon Dec 19, 2005 1:19 pm

Does anyone have experience with McLure Moving & Storage in Essex Junction, VT? They are an agent of North American Van Lines. I will be moving from Vermont to New Mexico. McLure said the driver may use "labor ready" or other agent's unloaders at the other end; is this ok?

Thanks!

Diane

Re: VT to NM with McLure North American?

Postby Diane » Mon Dec 19, 2005 1:30 pm

It's OK for the driver to use workers from LaborReady on the delivery side, but it's hardly an optimal situation because most of them aren't professionally trained. If you're considering that type of thing, you might want to get a quote from Broadway Express at www.broadwayexpress.net and hire workers yourself at origin and destination. Most people save 40% over the cost of a full-service mover by going with BE. There are 175 mostly rave reviews on a sticky at the top of the messageboard.

Here is a post I did on the advantages and disadvantages of going with BE - http://www.movingscam.com/forum/viewtop ... 7419#47419

Nancy

Postby Nancy » Mon Dec 19, 2005 2:09 pm

It really depends what level of service you want personally if you are going to compare McClure to BE. With BE, YOU would be hiring the labor ready guys and paying them. YOu're coordinating everything at every step of the way. With McCLure, they would take care of everything.

sma

Postby sma » Mon Dec 19, 2005 2:43 pm

I'm pretty sure that I want a full service provider, not BE, for this move. I'm really just looking for feedback anyone might have on McLure and North American Van Lines. McLure did say that they will only use LaborReady if all the local NAVL agents' employees are booked, which they think is unlikely in the winter. Thanks.

Diane

Postby Diane » Tue Dec 20, 2005 10:54 am

North American is a highly reputable major van line. Unfortunately, we consumers don't have access to internal quality scores for the individual agents like McLure (MC#55517). What I would suggest is that you sign up for membership and send a Private Message to any or all of the following - Rick, East Coast Mover, Ruges - asking whether they have any information on this company. Chances are it is OK. It has had no complaints processed by the BBB during the last 36 months and its record on www.safersys.org looks fine. It has been licensed for interstate moves since 1984, a good sign. I gather that it will self-haul your shipment using its own truck and driver (?). If so, that's good too.

PMueller

Postby PMueller » Tue Dec 20, 2005 4:11 pm

During this time of year there should not be an issue for the driver getting labor at the destination end from an agent, providing there is an agent within 50 miles of your destination. Even if agent is further than 50 miles, most agents can work something out with the driver during these winter months to keep their guys working.

sma

Postby sma » Wed Dec 21, 2005 6:36 pm

Thanks for the feedback. The other mover that I am considering is a smaller one - Dartmouth Moving & Storage in Claremont, NH. They would do the whole thing themselves. MC # 418671. Does anyone have any experience with them?

Thanks again.

MusicMom

Postby MusicMom » Thu Dec 22, 2005 9:16 pm

If Dartmouth says they will do the move "all by themselves" (without a major van line affiliation), ask them how, since they lost their interstate license in October.

http://li-public.fmcsa.dot.gov/LIVIEW/p ... me=WHITNEY^NDO,^LLC&pv_pref_docket=MC418671&pv_
usdot_no=1061448&pv_vpath=LIVIEW

Of course, if I am misunderstanding you and they are affiliated with a van line, then my statement is moot.

sma

Postby sma » Mon Dec 26, 2005 7:51 pm

Thanks for the info on Dartmouth. I think they are out. Does anyone have experience with Graham Moving & Storage (MC 121820), an agent of United Van Lines?

Thanks again!

Ruges

Postby Ruges » Tue Dec 27, 2005 9:37 pm

Mclure is not a bad agency, and they have some decent workers, just not allot of them. They depend way to heavily on Labor ready, And I have had issues with this before. Anytime I know I am going there I set up my labor way in advance so I know I am getting decent help.

So if you decide to go with Mclure tell them, "if you want my buisness you will garuntee good help." and no labor ready.
Ruges

Diane

Postby Diane » Tue Dec 27, 2005 10:29 pm

sma,

I would take that as a warning not to use McLure. When drivers say the kind of thing that Ruges just posted, it's usually a red flag. My opinion: with these kinds of full-service movers to choose from, you should really use Broadway Express to be safe. (And now I'll shut up.)

Ruges

Postby Ruges » Tue Dec 27, 2005 11:25 pm

Na I would not say it is a red flag. And I think they are a decent agency with some decent workers. Just somtimes they overbook themselfs and choose to use labor ready. To some using labor ready is an accepted practice. However to me this practice is not acceptable. But there are ways around it as I just described.

All you have todo is demand quality service upfront. If I was not in the industry and was to move now knowing what I know now. Here is how I would choose my moover. I would choose a late fall or eary spring time to move. I would demand flexible dates that are garunteed. I would demand a quality driver and garunteed exsperienced crew. I would pack all my boxes except any high valuables/breakables (for valuation reasons). I would demand that my house be fully preped (runners/door jamb/ door protectors...). All my items be padded inside the house and unpadded inside the house at destination. (the last 2 requests I would get garunteed by autorizing X-men @ X-amount of hours probly around $100-500. but it would almost make sure my items would get taken care of) Then I would request MVP valuation with a $500 deducable free of charge. I would then choose which ever vanlines garunteed me all this with the lowest estimate.

With all the special requests made I would be 98 percent sure that I would not have any problems on my move.
Ruges

Return to “Open Community”