MD - IN move/Town & Country Movers, Inc.

Our open community forum is for general moving related questions, comments, and useful information about local and interstate moves.
fsgiles

MD - IN move/Town & Country Movers, Inc.

Postby fsgiles » Wed Jun 01, 2005 8:42 pm

I've been reading through this VERY helpful site and have some questions. I've gotten 3 in-home estimates for our move at the end of the month to Bloomington, IN from Bethesda, MD.

The lowest is from Town & Country Movers, Inc. About 2 years ago, someone posted on this site about them and someone else checked them out and reported they seemed fine. I'll do the things suggested on this site to check them out, but am interested in hearing about others' experience with them -- also about any other long distance moves from this area.

One problem we have with them is that they can't schedule our move exactly when we need it, which is why I'm looking for other suggestions. Also, the estimator who visited was adamant that they would deliver our goods in 3 days, even when I challenged her on that. However, when I called back to schedule the move, the scheduler first told me they couldn't move when I needed it, and then also told me that they would deliver in 3 - 5 days, NOT the 3 the estimator had insisted on. I don't mind that it has to be 3-5 days, I DO mind that the estimator was so insistent on exactly 3 days, then it isn't so.

Anyway, thanks for any input on these particular movers or any other suggestions.
fsgiles

Diane

Re: MD - IN move/Town & Country Movers, Inc.

Postby Diane » Wed Jun 01, 2005 10:09 pm

Hi - MusicMom has some names of reliable movers in MD for interstate moves. Some of us feel that independent companies like T & C and JK Moving may not be the best to use for such a long move.

On the delivery spread thing (the range of dates during which your things may be delivered), you have to remember that estimators have two somewhat incompatible functions. On the one hand, they are supposed to provide accurate estimates and accurate information. On the other hand, they are supposed to sell the move. You can can imagine which function sometimes gets overlooked. Also, be sure that even the scheduler isn't talking about business days, not weekdays. That spread seems very small to me, especially if you have a small load, because obviously they don't want to send a truck to IN half-empty and there may be delay while they try to fill it.

MusicMom

Postby MusicMom » Wed Jun 01, 2005 10:11 pm

They probably can't do the move exactly when you need it because this is getting into the BUSY season. You'll need to be flexible, it's possible it could take the outside of the time window they told you. The estimator wants to get your business, so they will say whatever is the most enticing form of the truth. She said three days, not mentioning that it could take 5. And it worked, didn't it?

I doubt you will find another mover with a good quote who can take you if you need something so specific. You can ask around, but again, be flexible. THe movers are doing what they can for everyone.

fsgiles

Postby fsgiles » Thu Jun 02, 2005 9:18 am

Thanks so much for your feedback. One reason I chose T & C is that they have a relationship with our realtor, who sells a great deal in this area and who strongly recommends them. :) Actually, one quote was lower, but seemed very unprofessional and I didn't trust them. :roll: The other two were similar, but one was from a co. on your blacklist :shock: and the other was a Mayflower affiliate that didn't give a binding estimate and told me upfront two weeks ago that they probably wouldn't be able to fit me in in June -- but I couldn't make a decision until we found a house in Bloomington, which we did last weekend. Coordinating all the closing dates on house here and there, moving with kids and pets is mind-boggling. :?

I'd be really interested to get your suggestions, MusicMom :?: (I'm having fun using emoticons, never did it before. :D Hope I haven't gagged you out.
fsgiles

MusicMom

Postby MusicMom » Thu Jun 02, 2005 2:18 pm

I would be H :D A :D P :D P :D Y to give you my standard list of movers for long distance moves form the NoVA area. These are all movers that have proven themselves with good reviews:

Security Storage (in DC)
Von Paris (high marks, in Alexandria)
Hilldrup (in Baltimore)
Victory Van Corp (in Alex)
McCollister's (in Alex)
Paxton Van Lines has a good review, but I noticed on one of their trucks the other day that they are corporate movers, so I'm a little confused now.

The problem is, that four of these are United agnets, and Victory is Atlas. One quote from a United agent will be similar enough to the others that it would only be a matter of fitting you into the particular agent's schedule. Do you trust any of your quotes enough to use it as the basis for calling around? or would you prefer getting one company to give you an in-home and then asking about the availability of the van lines sytem's openings? It's prett7y busy right now, you may have to be more flexible.

Out of curiosity, can you tell me the mover who have contacted you? You could sign up and send me a PM if you don't want to post in the open.

fsgiles

Postby fsgiles » Thu Jun 02, 2005 3:10 pm

Thanks for the recommendations, I may give them a call -- my husband is so tired of the hassle, he just wants to go with what we've got, though! I am comfortable with the estimate -- I've been given 16,000, 16,100 amd 16,300, so I think they are all close enough -- then the one I didn't trust which gave 14,600 (that was Carmack). Of the three close estimates, one was Prime Movers, and the reviews here dissuaded me. Another was Ramar/Mayflower, and they warned me they'd be busy. The lowest price was T & C, plus they were recommended by our realtor's brokerage (Long & Foster), and it seems like that at least reminds them that they need to preserve their reputation. That is more of a hold over them than I have with any other company! :( Again, though, my realtor has had personal experience or knows only of local moves with them, all of which have been good and come in under the estimated budget :) It doesn't seem like a 600 mile move is really all that far :?:

Stacie
fsgiles

Diane

Postby Diane » Thu Jun 02, 2005 3:19 pm

Carmack? That's a dirty word around these parts because of the Carmack Amendment (see Home page of this website).

If it's only 600 miles, I assume they'll drive it in one day and I think you should be OK with T & C. If you go with them, please do come back to tell us what happened because it will be our first review of them.

fsgiles

Postby fsgiles » Thu Jun 02, 2005 5:12 pm

I sure will! :D
fsgiles

MusicMom

Postby MusicMom » Thu Jun 02, 2005 9:12 pm

Carmack has been discussed before. I can't tell if the name is a "nyah-nyah" to everyone else or a poor choice for a reference to moving. They have been licensed since 1991 (after a license application was rejected in 1989), but have not had any reviews, good or bad. Better to use a proven company. And Prime Movers is an unlicensed member of a family-owned group of scammers.

If you do go ahead and get teh other estimates, ask them to make the Guarnateed Not TO Exceed estimates based on the highest poundage. If the load really weighs 16,300, you'll pay for it. If it's more than that, you'll pay for the 16,300 pounds. If it's really 14,000 pounds, you pay for 14,000 pounds. You win either way.

fsgiles

Postby fsgiles » Wed Jan 04, 2006 11:16 am

We used Town & Country for a late June-early July move from Bethesda, MD to Bloomington IN, a 5 bdrm 4 ba house to a 4bdrm 3 ba, some very nice newer furniture and an antique piece which we were nervous about. We packed ourselves, and the only things damaged were a couple of pieces of china, our own fault. The price was very good, the move overall went smoothly. The loaders/unloaders were polite, hardworking. On the negative side, it seems they underestimated because the loaders (6 guys) worked all day and very hard, finished late and didn't have quite enough sheets provided to list everything so a few throw rugs, etc. packed last didn't get listed. That proved to be a problem when our large ladder didn't show up. On the unloading side, they only sent two guys, which was not enough -- we and our teenage kids pitched in, but it still took all day to unload. Calling about out ladder didn't produce any helpful response, although we didn't call right away and have not been persistent, only calling once. Overall, I'd say positive, especially for the price, stay aware and be more demanding than I was if you can!
fsgiles

Diane

Postby Diane » Wed Jan 04, 2006 11:35 am

Hi again - thanks for the update. If you could post the actual weight and cost, it would be good. Also, how many days did it actually take for the truck to reach your home?

Your report is typical of what I've seen happen with lower-cost moves. The move ends up being sort of a hybrid full-service / do-it-yourself move because the company can't afford to send enough guys with the truck to unload quickly. The customer often ends up helping with the unloading. This might be OK with some people (like you) but others might be unhappy about it. In other words, there is no free ride in the moving business. If the cost is low, something is usually sacrificed in the way of service.

Return to “Open Community”