Coast to coast NJ to CA -> Movers needed

Our open community forum is for general moving related questions, comments, and useful information about local and interstate moves.
Wins

Coast to coast NJ to CA -> Movers needed

Postby Wins » Thu Jan 05, 2006 9:31 pm

Hello All,

Been calling movers here in NJ as we plan to move to CA but am getting phone estimates with a wide range (i.e $500). I heard / read that there are hidden fees which are only revealed after drop off..... How true and how much, I don't know.. :?

Need help.... Who's the best and trusted movers out here in NJ??

Also, most movers am seeing are only for the furnitures and the likes. How about cars??? :?

Thank you all .... and as I continue reading reviews here..... appreciate the help....

Diane

Re: Coast to coast NJ to CA -> Movers needed

Postby Diane » Thu Jan 05, 2006 9:38 pm

Although the Yellow Pages are far preferable to the Internet, even the Yellow Pages have drawbacks when it comes to selecting a moving company. The size of the ad is often inversely proportional to the quality of the company.

There are several companies I could suggest that you get quotes from, but I need to know more about your situation. You say that you want to move a car along with your household goods. Right there, you are limiting the number of companies that could do that economically. The two that I can think of are Broadway Express at www.broadwayexpress.net and Moovers, Inc. at www.mooversinc.com. There are dozens of rave reviews of Broadway on a sticky at the top of the messageboard. There is also a review thread with background information and reviews of Moovers - http://www.movingscam.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=4655

You need to decide whether you would consider a self-move where you would hire or find workers to load and unload the truck. If not, then I think Moovers, Inc. would be a good choice for you. They typically charge only about $1000 to move a car cross-country, which compares favorably with auto transporters, but they usually don't do it unless they are also moving the customer's household goods in the same van.
Diane
Check out domestic companies on this thread. Click here for a detailed, authoritative article on international moving.

PMueller

Postby PMueller » Thu Jan 05, 2006 9:51 pm

I'm not sure of your location in NJ but here is a few offices that have good ratings within the Allied Quality Service Scores.

Allied Grading Scale:

1.00-4.04 Needs Improvement
4.05-4.29 Met Standards
4.30-4.39 Very Good
4.40-5.00 Excellent

Simonik Moving in Bound Brook, NJ 4.43
(They also have an office in Mount Laurel, NJ with a score of 4.23)

Reliable Van in Elizabeth, NJ 4.39

Berger/NY in Ramsey, NJ 3.97 (Berger has alot of offices throughout the US and is considered one of Allied's largest agents - but this score is not worthy of considering them).

This time of year, auto's can be shipped with the household goods inside the van. Cost varies based on the weight of the vehicle and distance it is moving. Most of my clients end up going car carrier. The sales rep can quote with the household goods-inside the van and they can contact the car carrier section in dispatch and receive a flat rate for the car carrier also.

I'm sure there are some other van lines in your area, I'm sorry that I'm not familiar with any to suggest you to contact. Basically you want to secure an in home estimate with a guarantee or a guarantee not to exceed estimate.

I would be EXTREMELY skeptical of any quote for $500 going the distance that you are moving.

Diane

Postby Diane » Thu Jan 05, 2006 10:02 pm

Pam, I think he meant there was a variation of $500.

I have heard before from several people that Simonik is very good.

Caligrl

Postby Caligrl » Thu Jan 05, 2006 10:33 pm

I'm doing the same move; I'm in northern NJ going to northern CA.

I don't know who the best/most trusted movers are, but I called the following for in-house estimates:

Molloy Brothers/Mayflower
Edison, NJ
800-227-0789
(appointment was made for three days later)

University Van Lines
Rahway, NJ
732-882-1060
(appt made for the following day)

Moovers
(based in CA)
925-288-0630
No in-house quote available, but I gave the rep the weight estimate from the two in-house estimates, which were similar, so I feel the quote is fair.

For shipping vehicles, I've contacted:
DAS, 888-871-8590
Reliable Carriers, 800-521-6393
and also asked the above-mentioned movers for quotes

University and Molloy were over $2000 for the vehicle alone, while Moovers' flat vehicle fee is $1000, but dependent on space.

Good luck!

Wins

Postby Wins » Thu Jan 05, 2006 11:31 pm

Thanks...

So is best to move the car and furnitures separately??

Diane

Postby Diane » Thu Jan 05, 2006 11:38 pm

Hi - re-read my post above. If you're willing to use Moovers, Inc. I think they can include your car with your household goods for about $1000. Broadway will probably be more because they charge for a car as if it were household goods (i.e. by the linear foot), but the driver can build a platform above the car where you can load lightweight things to save money. If you have a choice and the price isn't too different, I would always advise you to send the car on the same van with your household goods.

BrownEyedGurl

Postby BrownEyedGurl » Fri Jan 06, 2006 1:43 am

I'm moving from NYC to San Francisco and need advice for relatively cheap movers.

I'm only moving the contents of 1 bedroom, so it's not much stuff, but still so very pricey!

Any recommendations?

The cheapest quote I got was from gomoving.com and Nationwide Shipping Lines. Anyone hear good or bad news about them?

Diane

Postby Diane » Fri Jan 06, 2006 9:26 am

Browneyed,

People in your situation are at great risk of being scammed. You have very little stuff so you think it should be cheap to move it, but that isn't the case. Moving companies have minimums that they have to charge for to make it worth their while. Also, do not go on the Internet to find a moving company! Throw out the two companies you mention right away!

If you have (say) 1500 pounds of household goods, you should expect to pay at least $2000 to have them shipped across the country by a full-service mover. Any quote that's significantly lower than that is highly suspect.

The only way that you might conceivably pay a little less is to send your things with a packaging and shipping company like Box Brothers at www.boxbros.com. Someone recently got a quote from them to ship 1300 pounds from CT to CA for about $1700 - http://www.movingscam.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=6786

You might also contact ABF U-Pack at www.upack.com to see what they would charge for a mobile storage container. Those hold up to 2000 pounds. See ABF review #23 on the sticky at the top of the messageboard for details and photos.

My advice would be to sell everything you can, mail boxes to yourself in CA (via media mail if you have books and CDs), and if there's any furniture left that you can't part with, ship it with Box Brothers.

Postby Guest » Fri Jan 06, 2006 7:57 pm

From this page a topic "Need help finding a moving company?" is a way to start... Especially this -> "If they won't come to your house to do an in-home estimate, hang up and find another company."

But then, Moovers Inc. based in CA was one of the suggested company in this forum.... They don't do in home estimate but via e-mails :roll: ... I guess Movers Inc. is good if you're coming from the west coast but not if your coming from the east...

So I called Universal Van Lines for a sched by next week... Thanks..

Are there any other trusted Movers around here in the east coast ??
There's some but nothing of a history or not heard / read about them.

MusicMom

Postby MusicMom » Mon Jan 09, 2006 1:16 pm

So I called Universal Van Lines for a sched by next week...

Did you mean UniverSITY Van Lines?

Diane

Postby Diane » Wed Jan 11, 2006 9:08 am

Moovers Inc. based in CA was one of the suggested company in this forum.... They don't do in home estimate but via e-mails ... I guess Movers Inc. is good if you're coming from the west coast but not if your coming from the east... So I called Universal Van Lines . . .

Guest,

You seem to be posting from Jersey City and I assume that you're moving cross-country. I think University would be a good choice. Another good full-service mover in your area is Wade Odell Wade (United).

You are correct that the standard advice on this website is to always get an in-home estimate for an interstate move (and indeed, it's best to get an in-home estimate for ANY move). I agree with that advice. However, in the specific case of Moovers, Inc. I know the owners of the company and I know that they will not cheat you. The reviews show that they have performed extremely well for people. In fact I think Moovers is taking more of a chance than the customer is taking because the customer could add items and it would be very difficult for Moovers to argue about it from a distance. Also, please understand that Moovers is not breaking any regulations by not giving an in-home estimate in cases like yours. As required by the regulations, it does give in-home estimates for moves within a 50-mile radius of its location in CA, and actually its reps go much farther than that.

There are two main reasons that your quote from Moovers is likely to be low. First, they are a small moving company based in CA. Because they are better known in CA than on the East Coast, they have more moves scheduled from CA to the East Coast than they have scheduled from the East Coast to CA. They need to fill their trucks for the return trip to CA. Getting something for the move is better than getting nothing because the truck is returning only partly full.

Second, as an independent company Moovers is able to operate more efficiently than agents of the major van lines. Once they book your move they take responsibility for it from start to finish. They have much lower overhead than a van line agent and they don't have to deal with chargebacks from the van line that whittle away at their profit. They are passing the savings along to you, the customer, in order to build up their business and become more widely known.

I think University, Wade Odell Wade, and Moovers are all good companies. Moovers runs only 1-2 trucks a month cross-country so it might not be able to accommodate your schedule, however.
Diane
Check out domestic companies on this thread. Click here for a detailed, authoritative article on international moving.

Wins

Postby Wins » Wed Jan 11, 2006 10:58 pm

i'll give moversinc a try.. why not....

got some estimate from university (but not from bill or jim) and from holman -> are there any thread on holman? or has somebody here used them before?

both movers rep were good and very profesional.

just called wade odell wade and got a sched this friday.

Diane

Postby Diane » Wed Jan 11, 2006 11:09 pm

Holman (United) is good. Just try to find out whether they will self-haul your shipment using their own truck and driver or whether they will put it into the van line system (less desirable).

I can't imagine University sending someone other than Bill Quigley or Mike Carolan to estimate your move in New Jersey. Please let me know if someone else showed up.

Wade Odell Wade is also good. Please post your impressions of the sales rep if possible, to help others.

Return to “Open Community”