Quite Confusing - MD to CA - Significant Price Difference

Our open community forum is for general moving related questions, comments, and useful information about local and interstate moves.
Bruce HG

Quite Confusing - MD to CA - Significant Price Difference

Postby Bruce HG » Fri Jan 06, 2006 8:04 am

I have read and re-read posts in this forum and I appreciate all of the input ! Sometimes I wish I hadn't because there is so much info making a decision is quite difficult!

We are moving around 12,000 pounds of household stuff and a Car from Maryland to California. I got 2 in home quotes (without car) from Allied and National, Allied was around $9100 and National around $8100 ! All of the internet companies that show up on this site as scammers come in around $6300.

ABF and BE also were contacted and so far I am leaning towards BE because of the reviews on this forum and the fact that for $6475 they will give me 40 feet of space and allow my car in the truck. This price seems fair but leaves me with an additional $800 - $1000 expense to hire labor to load and unload, plus the fear of damage is lingering.

I have yet to get a quote from a full service company that seems affordable and does NOT show up as a scam. Are there any reputable companies that will charge a similar fee to that of BE?

So here is the comparison:

BE - $6475, includes 40 feet of space, car shipping
$1000, labor ($600 to load, $400 to unload estimate)
$7475 total (of course on catastrophic damage to be reimbursed, all scratches and dents will be my responsibility)

Major Carrier - $8500 (Split the difference between the 2 quotes)
$818, Car Shipping via one of the recommended companies
$9318 total

So there is a $1800 difference in going with BE.

Any suggestions?

Thanks

Bruce

MusicMom

Re: Quite Confusing - MD to CA - Significant Price Differenc

Postby MusicMom » Fri Jan 06, 2006 9:44 am

BE is a freight forwarder and not a full-service moving company. The price difference is becaue you have to do the work yourself (or hire loaders to do it for you). BE will let you put things in their trailer, they will drive it to your new house, and let you unload. A full-service mover will load up the trailer, drive it, and unload it, and if you ask for it, pack your things for you. You can sometimes hire the BE driver to help you make sure your load is apcked in tightly and won't fallover. It depends on how much you wnt to do yourself. I'f you're a hand-off person, go with the mver. If you are of the mind "it's only done right if I do it myself" (like me), BE is certainly a great way to save money.

Does this help explain it?

Diane

Postby Diane » Fri Jan 06, 2006 10:20 am

Bruce,

A couple of things occur to me. First, how long is your car? If you have 12,000 pounds of goods that would normally take up about 26 feet in the BE trailer at the rate of 450 pounds per linear foot. That means that you are alloting 14 feet for the car. BUT you can move some light things on a plywood platform that the driver can construct above the car. Usually the car will require only about 5 feet of vertical space and the trailers are 9 feet from floor to ceiling. My point is that unless your car is unusually long, you might need slightly less than 40 linear feet of trailer space.

Second point. You will almost certainly not have damage with BE. The reviews mention almost no damage that wasn't caused by a customer's improper packing and loading. When there has been rare damage due to BE's negligence (e.g. rain damage from a leaky roof), BE has always compensated the customer promptly and fairly.

Bruce HG wrote:Are there any reputable companies that will charge a similar fee to that of BE?

You might contact Moovers, Inc. to see whether they have a truck going back from the East Coast at the time you want to move. They have been quoting about $1000 to move a car cross-country along with the customer's household goods. I know the owners and I think the company is good, but I am unsure whether they could give you a price as low as BE since they are a full-service mover. Here is their review thread and contact information - http://www.movingscam.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=4655 One advantage over BE is that you could get valuation coverage.

Michael

Postby Michael » Sat Jan 07, 2006 12:19 am

Diane,

I see you have become a poster child now for Moovers Inc. Niceeeeeeeeeeeeeee.

And Bruce,
I have yet to get a quote from a full service company that seems affordable and does NOT show up as a scam.

Ummm I believe Allied is a national known company and not a know scam company. Along with National all be it not highly thought of in the moving industry.

Best of luck,
Michael

Forget yourself for others and the others will never forget

Nancy

Postby Nancy » Sat Jan 07, 2006 12:46 am

Moving quotes can easily fluctuate by 10%, so your price difference between the full service movers is not that abnormal.

You would really need to think out if you want a full service move or a do it yourself move. You can not compare JUST the price in these two services, it is like comparing apples to oranges.

Do you want to hire and manage a loading crew? Enthuse the guys when they get tired? Load or unload yourself if they don't show up?

Do you want to figure out the best way to stack and load the trailer? Buy all the pads and loading equipment?

Do you have years of experience in long distance packing and moving?

It all comes down to what your comfort level is. Full service van lines move people every day of the year and know this craft. Do you?

Diane

Postby Diane » Sat Jan 07, 2006 1:43 am

Michael wrote:Diane, I see you have become a poster child now for Moovers Inc.

You bet your sweet patootie (whatever a patootie is). I give credit where credit is due and I'm always looking for companies that provide good service at low cost. Moovers does only about 150 moves a year vs. Broadway's thousands, so van line people shouldn't get their panties in a bunch. To paraphrase Patrick Costadoni, Moovers is NOT the Illuminati.

Michael

Postby Michael » Sat Jan 07, 2006 9:23 am

Sorry I dont where panties. :lol:
Michael

Diane

Postby Diane » Sat Jan 07, 2006 10:41 am

Not even in the privacy of your own bedroom? :lol:

Michael

Postby Michael » Sat Jan 07, 2006 12:38 pm

Not even a thong. LMAO. :lol:
Michael

Bruce HQ

Postby Bruce HQ » Sat Jan 07, 2006 2:14 pm

Thanks for the responses...

I contacted Moovers and they have given me a very good price I think as long as I can match up the dates with their trucks......

So I thinkt this is the way I am going to go. Although I found some movers to perform the labor to load a BE and it would be around $500 - $700 cheaper the problem is the fact the do-it-yoursefl (even with labor helpers) means that all of the responsibility of loading and unloading is mine, which I dont mind EXCEPT for the possibility of things being broken while beign loaded. In fact if just 1 expensive things, falls, drops or breaks during loading or unloading the entire savings is out of the window.

If I use MOOVERS with their 100% replacement coverage which is affordable I dont have to worry about that, plus they will have labor already and my car will also be in the truck.

Does anyone know of insurance that an individual can get that would do the same as the moving company insurance. My homeowners DOES cover for catasrophic loss and the like, but not for scrathes or anything. The one example I think that could ruin the whole move is if my TV gets broken it would cost thousands to replace......all of the savings out the window and no more movies :(

So I swing again and again, from do it myself to full service. Its really a hard decision and can not just be based on the up front money, because of the gamble of damage.

I will continue to think and let you all know how this goes.

Thanks

Bruce

Michael

Postby Michael » Sun Jan 08, 2006 10:03 am

What exactly does Moovers 100% replacement cost mean. Most movers have the right to fix or repair an article before they replace it at current market value.
Michael

Nancy

Postby Nancy » Sun Jan 08, 2006 1:58 pm

Moovers offers the same exact coverage as any full service mover.

These other companies came to your home, you met them face to face, and they took the time to do your estimate. Then moovers takes THEIR info and generates a quote. Do you see any moral issues here? They don't have invested capital in agents out in your market near your home. Go visit the movers who gave you the in home quotes and see how their facilities look. Then jump on a plane to go visit Moovers and see how invested they are in their community.

Bruce

Postby Bruce » Mon Jan 09, 2006 8:35 am

I certainly understand the importance of using a local company that is investing their time and money in their community. But the reality is that these local companies that came by keep talking about a 63% discount and thats all they can do etc. etc. and then the next company gives a better discount. So as far as consumers are conecerned it appears like something shady is going on to begin with. It seems to take alot of barginig to get a good price.

I do NOT see any problem with using the quotes that other companies have given. This is a CONSUMER driven exchange and the companies build thier profit margins based on many in home estimates and very few sales. If the company that came to my house could compete with a company like moovers I would be happy to use them, but unfortunatly it mostly comes down to the money.

As far as replacement, I am not that concerned with how they fix the items, but want to make sure that they do fix it.

Right now I am unable to set the firm date to move because I am waiting for my house to sell, but once I do I will post the final analysis which will hopefully help others going through this excersise.

Bruce

Don't Shoot

Postby Don't Shoot » Tue Jan 10, 2006 2:31 am

<<Taking a deep breath>>

But the reality is that these local companies that came by keep talking about a 63% discount and thats all they can do etc. etc. and then the next company gives a better discount. So as far as consumers are conecerned it appears like something shady is going on to begin with. It seems to take alot of barginig to get a good price.

What you see is the industry cheapening itself and self-destructing because consumers somehow equate cheap with good or better. It is one company after another willing to whore themselves out for higher and higher discounts...well that's my opinion anyway.

If you want to keep costs down, you can hire some day laborers, and pay them in beer, to load your UHaul that you pay some college kid to drive the 2500 miles to splinterville... I think I saw that kids ad, "Nick Wall and Chip Wood will gladly drive[...]"

I do NOT see any problem with using the quotes that other companies have given. This is a CONSUMER driven exchange and the companies build thier profit margins based on many in home estimates and very few sales. If the company that came to my house could compete with a company like moovers I would be happy to use them, but unfortunatly it mostly comes down to the money.

I don't see any problem with stepping on the neck of an expert just to hire a hack...do you?

As far as replacement, I am not that concerned with how they fix the items, but want to make sure that they do fix it.

I think they'll get some practice "fixing items" seeing as your loading 12000# and a car into a freight trailer without proper logistics and a hack 3rd party crew with no investment in your future business...

Right now I am unable to set the firm date to move because I am waiting for my house to sell, but once I do I will post the final analysis which will hopefully help others going through this excersise.

I hope they don't book their quota of 12 moves in the month you're moving...

Second point. You will almost certainly not have damage with BE. The reviews mention almost no damage that wasn't caused by a customer's improper packing and loading.

Diane: What kind of a statement is this? Of course all the damage is by default the customers. They load it without pads and straps with layman help...come on...

If you have 12,000 pounds of goods that would normally take up about 26 feet in the BE trailer at the rate of 450 pounds per linear foot. That means that you are alloting 14 feet for the car. BUT you can move some light things on a plywood platform that the driver can construct above the car. Usually the car will require only about 5 feet of vertical space and the trailers are 9 feet from floor to ceiling. My point is that unless your car is unusually long, you might need slightly less than 40 linear feet of trailer space.

I just think this is bad advise, period. Maybe a layman could load 12000 of book boxes into 26 feet, but not incorporating sofas, OS, w/d, misc. And I just see bad news having someone load on top of a platform built on the fly...
Last edited by Don't Shoot on Tue Jan 10, 2006 9:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Guest2006

Postby Guest2006 » Tue Jan 10, 2006 1:22 pm

hi bruce,

last march, i did almost the same move you're about to do. i moved from germantown, md to los angeles, ca. i got several quotes and they were all very different from each other. i wound up getting the best mover i could have ever hoped for. not a single item was broken (not bad for cross country). i had about 10,000 lbs of stuff and one car. our movers were owner/operators of their own truck, so they took good care of everything. it's a married couple that regularly does east coast/west coast runs. i'd be happy to pass on their contact info if you'd like. the company is golden eagle moving out of upland, ca.

Return to “Open Community”