Moving from New York to Seattle

Our open community forum is for general moving related questions, comments, and useful information about local and interstate moves.
nyctoseattlemove

Moving from New York to Seattle

Postby nyctoseattlemove » Thu Mar 17, 2005 7:55 pm

Hi!

We are moving from New York City to Seattle in a couple of months and need to find a company to move our things. We don't have a lot of furniture and not a whole lot of misc. things.

I have no idea where to start this whole process. I've never hired a moving company before. I would like to hear some advice and some recommendations on any moving companies.

Thanks so much!

Diane

Re: Moving from New York to Seattle

Postby Diane » Thu Mar 17, 2005 8:38 pm

Hi,

You should begin by clicking on the smiley face at the above left for a general orientation to the issues. We recommend that you get in-home quotes from at least three reputable moving companies after you've read the article.

You might want to take a look at this thread containing 9 reviews of one NYC-area company that has performed well for people, University Van Lines (Atlas) in Rahway, NJ - http://www.movingscam.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=3063. Another person moving from WA to NJ reported a good move with an Atlas agent near Seattle called Boush Moving - http://www.movingscam.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=3592
Although moving isn't an exact science and there can be glitches with any move, I feel that University would be one good company to get a quote from. You could ask whether it could use Boush as the destination agent in WA, or it might have another good company that it uses.

The other major van lines include United, Mayflower, North American, and Allied. We don't have many reviews of agents from those van lines in your area but can make a few suggestions later on if you want.

Postby Guest » Thu Mar 17, 2005 9:57 pm

Thank you so much, Diane. This is a very helpful and a great place to start. I am going to contact University Van Lines.

Also, I was wondering if you or anyone could comment on experiences using Broadway Express for a move like ours--from NYC to the opposite coast? I've read great reviews of this company on this site.

Thanks again for your help.

Diane

Postby Diane » Thu Mar 17, 2005 10:37 pm

You're very welcome.

Although there can be glitches with any move, there isn't a doubt in my mind that BE would do a great job moving you from NYC to Seattle, and the cost would probably be about 40% lower than the cost with an agent of a major van line. If you know approximately how much stuff you have, you can go to their online cost calculator to get an estimate, including the city fee that's charged for all boroughs - http://www.broadwayexpress.net/household.html

However, moving from NYC with BE is somewhat more complicated than moving from NJ (for example) because of access problems in congested areas. Some people have had to use a shuttle (U-Haul truck) in some parts of Queens. Also, you would have to hire temp workers from an agency like Labor Ready if you don't have anyone to help you load and unload. Depending on the size of your load and whether you're in a walkup, you should add about $300 to the cost shown on the BE website to cover the cost of hiring the driver (highly recommended), workers, and a possible shuttle on the NYC end.

Several people have moved with BE from Brooklyn (reviews #4, #10, #32, #59), Queens (#34, #48 ), and even an elevator building in Manhattan (#7). Two people even moved from Manhattan with the much more bare-bones ABF (#15 and #16) using Labor Ready workers and had a good experience.

There's no doubt that moving with BE would require more effort and initiative on your part than moving with a full-service mover. The other downside is that you can't get any meaningful "insurance" protection against breakage and scratches with BE, although there is coverage for catastrophic loss of the whole load (see the FAQ sheet). The upside of BE is that your things would arrive quickly and the driver who picks them up would normally be the driver who delivers them (i.e. there would be no transfers, which is when goods often get damaged). In contrast, your goods would be transferred by University Van Lines to a long-haul Atlas driver. During the summer months there can be delays.

It's really a personal decision and you might want to get a quote from University (and possibly other agents) as well as BE. Moving with a freight company isn't for everyone - you have to be adventurous and willing to do some work. Hope this helps. We're fortunate to have so many reviews on this website to guide people.

seacookie

Postby seacookie » Tue Dec 06, 2005 12:52 am

First post to any forum, "fear of moving" is excellent motivation!

Planning to move contents of 3 Bdr house and 700sqft home office from Brooklyn to Seattle at the end of January 2006. Heavy on books and file cabinets. Contents will need to be stored in Seattle 2-3 months until renovations are completed on house in Seattle. We will need to move car as well.

After several hours of reading, my eyes are burning, but I see to contact Dahill or University Van lines for quotes. We have used New Dorp Moving of Staten Island (NYS DOT-T13098 & US DOT-70719) for local moves (two: just great), but I don't know how the long haul would work with them, they are affiliated with Atlas.

Questions:
1) Anyone find the driver Earl Roman (via Dahill/Mayflower) that waverly recommended?
http://www.movingscam.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=4957&highlight=dahill+seattle

2) Any recommendations for good storage facilities in Seattle?
Our new home will be in the North Seattle neighborhood View Ridge,
zip 98115

3)Any updates on moving cars inside the van lines trailer as opposed to DAS (Dependable Auto Services)?

Any and all wisdom truly appreciated! :D seacookie

Diane

Postby Diane » Tue Dec 06, 2005 1:22 am

Hi - I don't know anything about that agent on Staten Island, but any Atlas agent can register your move with Atlas Van Lines. If New Dorp did well for you on a local move you might want to get a quote from them for this move as well. On safersys.org it seems to be very small and its DOT number is 15659, by the way. Because it's so small, I would recommend getting a quote from University Van Lines and Dahill in addition.

:arrow: Update: in researching something else I just noticed that New Dorp is listed as a Wheaton agent, not Atlas, and in fact it won a quality award from Wheaton in 2004. Did it switch van lines recently?

The warehouse in Seattle does make a difference so you want to be sure that it's OK. One person ("amoorthy") had a great move with an Atlas agent in Puyallup but that might be too far from your final destination. The van line you choose will find a good storage facility for you--you won't have to find it yourself.

For a move of your size, you will probably get a good long-haul driver from the van line so I wouldn't worry too much about finding a particular driver.

I don't really recommend moving cars inside a van line trailer. First, it's very expensive. Second, many if not most van lines now broker out those moves to specialized auto transporters anyway, so you might as well arrange it yourself and pocket the difference. I would recommend your getting a quote from Coast to Coast Auto Transport at www.coasttocoastauto.com. I was very impressed with the owner and you are on his preferred route (he has an excellent delivery system in Seattle). See my post halfway down page 12 of our Auto Transporters thread on the sticky at the top of the messageboard.

Finally, although you don't mention using a freight company, that is one option where weight doesn't matter, and you say that you have a lot of heavy items. Broadway Express could move you into mini-storage in Seattle and you could get your things out little by little as you need them. All Star Moving in Brooklyn could load the BE truck for you in NYC as they have done for many other people. We have names of good movers in Seattle who could move your things out of mini-storage when you're ready. I'm just mentioning this as a possibility on the chance that you are open to it. This is a post summarizing the pros and cons of BE - http://www.movingscam.com/forum/viewtop ... 7419#47419

seacookie

Re: Moving from New York to Seattle: Update:confused on bids

Postby seacookie » Wed Jan 11, 2006 1:34 am

From my first post Dec 5th. on move to Seattle, I contacted University Van Lines in Rahway and also New Dorp Moving & Storage 436 Spencer Street, Staten Island. I am very confused with the results, and will try to be clear on the process. We want to move Jan 30-31st.

Bill Quigley from University Van Lines came out last Friday and is in the process of finalizing a BNTE for us. Initially he estimated at 25,000lbs. He is not sure if in our neighborhood a 51' truck will make it, but he was even more uncertain about the destination in Seattle. We have approximatly 3,000lbs more in Staten Island in storage with New Dorp. About HALF of that amount will go with us.
By phone today, Mr. Quigley upped the estimate to 30-33,000 lbs. His bid of $24,100 includes the furniture wrapping, wardrobe boxes, packing 3 dish barrells and 1 large painting and approx. 15" x 24" (max) framed art. He figures a two day move. Tomorrow he will have a ?salesman? who lives in the area drive by our house to see if he feels the truck can make it directly to our door. He knows about New Dorp estimate and came down verbally by phone to $18,500 if 25,000lbs.

Chris Marzo, the son of owner Joseph Marzo of New Dorp Moving & Storage came to see us on Monday. I will give background that my husband grew up on Staten Island, so he has used New Dorp for several local moves and our items in storage. Chris came to us as a Bekins agent and gave us a Bekins 45 page R&R booklet. Over the weekend, my husband decided not to move a large portion of old office equipment.
He told Chris we would probably move around 20,000lbs. Again, New Dorp moved my husband's office twice and our household once, so Chris wrote a Non-Binding estimate at 25,000lbs. Chris is very sure that we will need a shuttle in Brooklyn, less sure about Seattle. (For what it's worth, we showed both men aerial views of roads & house site). Chris gave us a two page form: one with declaration of value forms, listing transportation charge at $12,000, origin $3200, destination $640. Code C is 15,840 (I rounded). Second page lists breakdown of origin and destination charges.

Now to the quandry:
1) Don't know what to think on difference in estimates
2) Don't know why the difference in opinion on shuttle: one figured at destination, one figured at origin. Is there a way to solve this?
Is there a "corner to corner" distance for a 51' truck to turn?
3) Can't find any info about New Dorp as Bekins, other than the Bekins site and one other moving site. No current DOT or Docket at the FMSCSA. A docket #156888 for a New Dorp of Staten Island has a different address and this company has NO insurance and NO authority. Chris said New Dorp was with Atlas for a while, Wheaton briefly and followed a large commercial account to Bekins. He said they do a strong commercial and interstate booking for Bekins. The DOTs on the company at the BBB site are from the Wheaton days.

Many thanks in advance for any advice.

Diane

Postby Diane » Wed Jan 11, 2006 7:58 am

First, you have a very desirable (potentially very profitable) move from the point of view of the moving companies. Your chance of damage is small because your goods will fill the entire tractor-trailer provided by the van line driver. There should be no transfer of the goods unless a shuttle is needed (see below), and delivery should be very fast.

I have the following thoughts and concerns.

1. It is generally a bad sign when companies change van line affiliations frequently. The fact that New Dorp changed from Atlas to Wheaton to Bekins (a downward shift in quality, however it may have been presented to you) is also troubling.

2. Nonbinding estimates are undesirable and I see no reason for you to accept one for this move. University has given you a high GNTE estimate because that is what it does. It has to protect itself in case you move more goods from the storage unit (for example) than you originally planned. If in fact you move only 25,000 pounds it appears that the two quotes are fairly close--$15,840 Nonbinding vs. $18,500 GNTE.

3. I believe that Bekins uses a tariff other than the 400N that most van lines use today. There could be extra charges for things like stairs and long carries. You should ask about this, because your final cost could be more than the estimate even if you do move only 25,000 pounds.

4. The fact that a company has performed well on a local move is no indication at all that it will perform well on a cross-country move. For one thing, neither company you are considering will actually transport your goods--a van line driver will do that. If it comes down to Atlas Van Lines vs. Bekins (if that's who New Dorp is affiliated with), there's no contest in my mind.

5. The person that University will send to look at your residence in NYC is probably Scott Micalizzi, an estimator who lives in Brooklyn. He will be able to tell you whether the Atlas tractor-trailer can access the residence (it depends on things other than the width of the street). If it can't, University's record is very good about safely transporting things to its warehouse in Rahway to await a long-haul driver from Atlas.

6. Ask University whether it can get an Atlas agent in Seattle to go to your destination address to see whether a shuttle will be needed there. University may have to pay someone to do this, but it may be willing to do so given that your shipment is so large.

7. I am wondering whether it will be a problem getting your things out of New Dorp's warehouse if you don't move with New Dorp. Maybe someone in the industry reading this can comment.

Return to “Open Community”