Burrows Moving Company

Our open community forum is for general moving related questions, comments, and useful information about local and interstate moves.

Burrows Moving Company

Postby Guest » Wed Aug 18, 2004 8:45 am

The second company on my list is Burrows Moving Company and I am working on getting a quote from them (Hayes and Sons was the first-Music Mom answered some questions about that one). I have a very positive recommendation from a colleague who used them in a local move. I did a search of this site and found no mention of them (good news?). Their DOT numbers for state and federal are #IL.C.C.41763 MC CR and #MC 314277. Their address is 6542 N. Clark St, Chicago, IL 60626. This will be for an in-state move from Gurnee, IL to Peoria, IL. Anyone know of any red flags or reason for concern with this company? Thanks!

Diane

Re: Burrows Moving Company

Postby Diane » Wed Aug 18, 2004 8:57 am

Hi - I also have been wondering about this company after seeing a glowing mention of them on another website. If anyone knows anything about Burrows, please comment, since we're always looking for good companies in Chicago.

Michael

Postby Michael » Wed Aug 18, 2004 2:21 pm

From what I see, I see nothing alarming. 7 trucks 9 drivers. Insurance was an issue with them early on in their existence, but seems to have settled in the last few years. Only one inspection of their trucks and drivers over the last 24 months makes me wonder.

Are they affiliated with anyone?

Best of luck,
Michael

Forget yourself for others and the others will never forget

IMP

Postby IMP » Thu Aug 19, 2004 6:54 am

Having worked in the Chicago moving market for several years, I'm surprised that I had not heard of this company. If they are selected, I'd appreciate your coming back to tell us how things went. They do have a lot of good and useful information on their website.

Diane

Postby Diane » Thu Aug 19, 2004 10:24 am

I just checked the company's record on intrastate (within IL) moves with the Illinois Commerce Commission - http://www.icc.state.il.us/hg/household ... _nbr=41763
Over a three-year period, Burrows had only 1 complaint (for loss/damage to property), which was closed as unfounded. It did 845 intrastate moves in 2003.

edie

Postby edie » Mon Sep 27, 2004 5:04 pm

we used burrows for a move in july in chicago based on what we found on the bbb website. they were expensive, but overall seemed worth it compared to some of the horror stories i read about. the movers were courteous, seemed to be working hard- never saw them taking breaks, and except for one art piece breaking that was mostly our fault (and covered by insurance- and the person who broke it was very apologetic) we were very pleased.

Diane

Postby Diane » Mon Sep 27, 2004 5:39 pm

Thanks very much for this feedback. How much did you pay and for how many guys and hours? Do you know anyone else who used them?

Postby Guest » Thu Jul 14, 2005 11:49 am

Is there any new information on Burrows in Chicago? They quoted me a price of $141 for 3 men w/ 4 hr minimum. I've read on this site that they are generally considered positive. My only concern is that they said that they usually do not do in home estimates for small moves (I am only moving bedroom furniture and boxes). Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Don't Shoot

Postby Don't Shoot » Thu Jul 14, 2005 12:05 pm

I can't speak to Burrows in Chicago, but I can tell you the current climate in the industry as a salesperson...

A four hour mini at $141 will probably get that sales person $30 gross. Given it's Summer and there are bigger moves calling in and that gas is closer to three bucks than to two, it's going to be tough to get an in home estimate for a bedroom suite and a few boxes...

Here is an exercise you can do to get a general idea of the weight of your goods. Count the number of pieces you have (everything) and then multiply that number by 30 or 40. That will give you a rough idea as to the weight.

Take the weight and divide it by 350 lb. to get the number of manhours it would take to load and unload it. Divide that number by 2 and that will tell you roughly how long it would take two guys to do the labor on your move. Add drive time and some time if you are upstairs or down a long corridor...

Good luck

mdr

Postby mdr » Sat Oct 29, 2005 11:09 am

My in-laws used Burrrows for a Hinsdale to Glen Ellyn move. They have a large home with many big and expensive items. They gave Burrows rave reviews. They are expensive though. They only do local moves.

BigOldGeek

Postby BigOldGeek » Thu Jan 12, 2006 1:50 am

I've used Burrows for in-city moves twice. First time, in 2001, they were stars. The movers were mooses who muscled my posessions down three narrow flights and up three wide one without a hitch, including some flimsy particle board shelves. They were pricey, but I couldn't have asked for any better. Move was from Rogers Park to Lincoln Park.

Second time, Summer 2005, they "guesstimated" the size of the truck I'd need and JUST barely got everything into the thing. They brought too few men to do the job right, and it took all damn day to move from Lincoln Park to Albany Park. Generally the movers had a good attitude, but too few men meant more hours, meant more expensive.

I might use them again, but I'd make damn sure they came and saw the place first.

blue

Postby blue » Thu Jan 12, 2006 7:59 am

but too few men meant more hours, meant more expensive.

Was this an hourly rate job? The job may have taken longer with fewer men, but the hourly rate should also have been lower, corresponding to the size of the crew. Small crew, lower hourly rate; large crew, higher hourly rate. If the company had sent additional men, the job would have been completed quicker, but the hourly rate would have been higher, subsequently resulting in 'about' the same charges. Of course there are exceptions; the amount of drive time and the two man crew are a couple of variables that can skew the 'average'.

Return to “Open Community”