hmm

Our open community forum is for general moving related questions, comments, and useful information about local and interstate moves.
Ctravel

hmm

Postby Ctravel » Thu Jan 12, 2006 8:06 pm

I have no idea where to start. I need a moving company from Augusta, GA to San Diego, CA. I have never used a moving company for a private move, I have however for military. I'm sure the civilian side is different than the military.

Any suggestions?

consumer advocate

Re: hmm

Postby consumer advocate » Thu Jan 12, 2006 8:18 pm

First you should decide whether you need a full service mover or a "you-pack, we drive" type of mover such as Broadway Express or ABF. These movers can save you some money but you have to do some of the work. There are reviews of these companies and information about how they work at the top of the message board. If you need a full service mover, click on the smiley face at the upper left of this site. Follow the guidelines there and you should be okay. Do not use one of those moving sites that asks you to submit your moving information so they can solicit bids from various moving companies. Those sites are infested with scam movers. If you're using a full-service mover, once you've had a couple of in-home estimates, post their names, DOT numbers and addresses here and a volunteer will help you evaluate them.

Ctravel

Postby Ctravel » Thu Jan 12, 2006 8:39 pm

Ok I got a quote of 1100 from this company. The MC # 461864 and DOT # 1170806. Can anyone tell me what I should do with this info where to look at their complaints etc?

Rick

Postby Rick » Thu Jan 12, 2006 9:47 pm

Ctravel

Two places to check are the Protect You Move website at http://www.protectyourmove.gov/index.htm . Click on the Check Mover Registration field and enter either the DOT or MC numbers. This site has a lot of useful information specific to moving.

The other site sponsored by FMCSA is the SAFER System at http://www.safersys.org/. This site allows the user to check on more detailed information concerning operating authorities, safety performance and insurance compliance. Click on SafeStat Online and/or Licensing & Insurance. Before you enter AVL Atlanta Transport's DOT or MC numbers, you should put on your sneakers and be prepared to run.

Suggest that you contact Monro Moving & Storage Company, an Allied Van Lines agent at (706) 737-8374 or H & S Transfer Company, a Mayflower Transit agent at (706) 722-7582 to obtain in-home quotes from legitimate movers. Both Bill Monro and Ken Heyman have over three decades of very good service in that market.

Good Luck!

twalker
Site Admin

Postby twalker » Thu Jan 12, 2006 10:08 pm

Ctravel,

I find it odd that I received the first serious complaint against this company the same day you posted. The complaint came from where it was supposed to, and you're posting from the same neighborhood as the company that you're asking about. I imaging that according to you, I'd be out of line assuming that you're a representative of AVL/Atlanta Transport... the same company that has a 63.6% Driver Out of Service record (compared to only 6.78% nationally).

Yep I'm a skeptic, but I play much worse in real life.

Tim Walker
MovingScam.com

Diane

Postby Diane » Thu Jan 12, 2006 10:09 pm

Ctravel,

Rick is giving you good advice. Please read this thread on AVL to see why you shouldn't go with them - http://www.movingscam.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=5060 (contains three complaints of scams)

Other horror stories can by seen if you use the Search button above to look for posts mentioning AVL.

AVL NO INSURANCE

Postby AVL NO INSURANCE » Wed Mar 29, 2006 6:47 am

US DOT: 1170806

Docket Number: MC461864

Legal Name: AVL.ATLANTA TRANSPORT, INC.

Auth Type COMMON

1st Served Date 02/24/2006

Effective Date 03/29/2006

Reason INVOLUNTARY REVOCATION

HOUSEHOLD GOODS COMMON CARRIER GRANTED 10/02/2003 REVOKED 03/29/2006
MOTOR PROPERTY COMMON CARRIER GRANTED 10/02/2003 REVOKED 03/29/2006