Moving from CA to NY in December

Our open community forum is for general moving related questions, comments, and useful information about local and interstate moves.
mrsykr

Moving from CA to NY in December

Postby mrsykr » Thu Nov 10, 2005 6:53 pm

First off, thank you, Tim and everyone, for providing this site. It certainly caused me to research my move more than I had expected to and I know I am better off because of you all.

We're moving from Santa Clara, CA, to Westchester, NY, in early December.

I've narrowed my two moving company choices down to:

ACE/Atlas (San Jose, CA)

NorCal/Allied (San Leandro, CA)

The visual estimates I received from both on 8,000 lbs was,

ACE - $7654.00
NorCal - $7472.00

Actually, the ACE guy thought my weight would be just under 7,000. I'm leaning higher because I had already boxed up about 70% of my house and I did aquire a lot of books this past year, which I understand to add a lot to the general weight.

There is the AAA discount on insurance with ACE, which is great. I'm trying to get insurance costs from NorCal but my representative is not in today and they don't feel comfortable letting another office agent field my questions, they believe my agent can call with the answer while she's out of the office.

The cost also includes a shuttle, my home in CA doesn't accomodate semi/18 wheelers.

My biggest problem at this point is timing. Pickup is Dec 7th, latest. And I can't get into our next residence until Dec 15th. ACE delivers anywhere between 5-10 days, and NorCal says 7-12 days. I may go with NorCal because of the delivery date time-frame, but as far as agents go I feel the ACE agent was exceptionally good and informative, he really took the time to answer all my questions.

If anyone had any comments on either one of these companies I would sure like to hear about it. I'm under the impression both are of good quality, through internet research and FMCSA checks. Any other background checks I'm missing?

Thank you kindly.

nyaccent

Re: Moving from CA to NY in December

Postby nyaccent » Sun Nov 13, 2005 11:22 am

Okay, Atlas DOES give an AAA discount, that is something that BIll Fosdick from Certified said no to when I asked him. Now that we know that what my shipment weighed, I may have been eligible for that discount, I am wondering if I should call them about it.

Diane

Postby Diane » Sun Nov 13, 2005 10:19 pm

mrsykr wrote:My biggest problem at this point is timing. Pickup is Dec 7th, latest. And I can't get into our next residence until Dec 15th. ACE delivers anywhere between 5-10 days, and NorCal says 7-12 days. I may go with NorCal because of the delivery date time-frame, but as far as agents go I feel the ACE agent was exceptionally good and informative, he really took the time to answer all my questions.

I think if you discuss your situation with Ace, the driver will be able to adjust the delivery to meet your needs.

To "nyaccent" - my understanding is that your shipment has to weigh at least 5000 pounds to qualify for the free valuation coverage with Atlas.

nyaccent

Postby nyaccent » Tue Nov 15, 2005 11:12 pm

That may be so, I may not have been eligible, but that wasn't my question to Bill. I asked him if Atlas offers the AAA discount. He didn't say that with 5000 pounds. He just said no they don't offer it.

mrsykr

Update on move (home and cars)

Postby mrsykr » Fri Jan 13, 2006 11:53 pm

I'm done! We're finally in our new home and unpacking. It's nice to start over with no clutter, but I hope I don't have to go through another move in a long-long time!

We used the following companies:

DAS (Dependable Auto Shippers)
http://www.dasautoshippers.com/?referre ... as+auto-ex

We saved some money by going terminal to terminal. Two cars shipped seperately. Only minor problem with my car, driver side mirror seems to wiggle now. It was about $680 a car.

ACE/Atlas (out of San Jose, CA)
http://www.acerelocation.com/location_sanjose.htm
I requried a shuttle at our home in CA because our townhouse complex access didn't allow for a huge moving semi-truck to drive in, the shuttle added a few hundred bucks, oh well. The shuttle driver was also the main/same driver to take my stuff to NY. I explained my time-table and asked him to slow it down by 3-4 days and gave him a nice tip. He arrived later in the week. Interesting to note, I found out, as I called their office to track his progress, he actually made it to CT on Monday but went up to MA during the week and then back down to NY (to me) by Saturday. I wanted him to show up no earlier than Friday. Not bad, eh? :) I gave him another tip for the holidays, he saved me from having to consider temporary storage and moving it myself later.

I was pleased with both companies. I think each did a good job and I would recommend them both for a cross country move.

If I were to go back and change anything, I would have gotten my in-home quote before I packed a thing (it's easier to get an estimate if a moving rep can see exactly how many books one has! and boy did I have a lot) AND I would have asked how much it would have cost for them to pack it up :} oh my achin' back.

Thanks again Tim, I owe you one big hug :D

Happy 2006!

Jeanne

Return to “Open Community”