need help moving from san diego to long island Ny

Our open community forum is for general moving related questions, comments, and useful information about local and interstate moves.
lucylulu

need help moving from san diego to long island Ny

Postby lucylulu » Tue Jan 03, 2006 7:34 pm

I am just starting the process on researching movers, I am so stressed with all this information and of course I want to get the best company for our move. We are moving a 3/2 house and we need full service movers. Any suggestions? I want to start getting quotes asap. We need to be in NY by mid March, Thank you to anyone who can help.

Diane

Re: need help moving from san diego to long island Ny

Postby Diane » Tue Jan 03, 2006 7:38 pm

This is from my standard post on San Diego-area moving companies:
Diane wrote:San Diego - Sullivan Moving & Storage (United) - a good review.
http://www.movingscam.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=6489 (interstate)

Also in San Diego, Eckert's Van & Storage in San Marcos (North American Van Lines) has very good comments by industry professionals here and on other websites.

Also in San Diego, Atlas Transfer and Storage (Allied) with website confusingly www.atlasallied.com - three very good reviews.
http://www.movingscam.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=3453 (interstate)
http://www.movingscam.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=887 (interstate)
http://www.movingscam.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=21725 (also a second partial review; both interstate)

Also in San Diego, we have good remarks about Ace Relocation (Atlas) but no reviews.

On the recommendation of moving professionals posting here, I advise against using Republic Van & Storage in Poway (North American) or any Bekins agent in the San Diego area.

If cost is a concern, consider using the freight companies Broadway Express or ABF (many reviews on stickies at the top of the messageboard).

lucylulu

Postby lucylulu » Tue Jan 03, 2006 8:10 pm

Thank you very much for your help I will look into those you suggested. I really liked all the reviews from Atlas Transfer & Storage Allied in Poway! I think I will give them a call. Thanks
Any other information anyone else has, or if someone else has used this company and can offer any other positive reviews, it would be greatly appreciated.

Postby Guest » Mon Jan 09, 2006 7:10 pm

I am having an in home estimate next Tuesday with Atlas Transfer and Storage Allied out of Poway, with Jon. I will get back to you with any questions I have after the visit. I have been reading all of your tips so I hope I ask and recieve the right information.
- A binding contract, a bid not to exceed, and an estimate based on weight
thanks for your help

lucylulu

Postby lucylulu » Tue Jan 17, 2006 3:25 pm

hello,
Just received my estimate from atlas transfer and storage allied out of poway. Here it is:

It was a bid not to exceed on 8204 lbs, we are going to long island where we will need a shuttle once the truck gets to the island and that will be $1071.24 for the shuttle
$1570.00 for full packing by them
$6487.31 transportation
and that all coming to a total of $9128.55
The only way the price can increase is if we add more insurance, but it will most likely decrease if we pack some of the stuff ourselves!
The time frame given to us would be 8 min 15 max days to get our stuff there.
The person that came out was very helpful and explained everything clearly and mentioned just about everything I have learned from this website :)
How does this sound?
Thanks

Diane

Postby Diane » Tue Jan 17, 2006 4:04 pm

Hi,

That quote sounds in the ballpark since a rough rule of thumb is that it costs about $1 to move one pound of goods cross-country, not including shuttle costs. If people have a very large load it might cost less than $1 a pound. Glad you liked the rep (Jon). I have a feeling that some of these companies might be reading MovingScam.com and shaping their presentations to meet people's expectations. I hope so, anyway.

You can stop there or you can get another quote, for example from Sullivan. Your quote from Allied should be a TPG quote with GRR (Total Price Guarantee with Guaranteed Rate Reduction), which is the equivalent of a Binding Not to Exceed.

Return to “Open Community”