good movers for local moves in Chicago, IL

Our open community forum is for general moving related questions, comments, and useful information about local and interstate moves.
Ilene

good movers for local moves in Chicago, IL

Postby Ilene » Tue Jan 24, 2006 4:30 pm

Hi, I am moving from a convertible studio in a Streeterville high rise to a Gold Coast high rise. I received an estimate today from J Bradtke Antique Movers, I have received so many good recommendations about them. But the estimate was a little over $1000.00 which was a bit over what the estimator thought it would actually come to, he said he always overestimates a little. I thought this was high, even though I have a lot of stuff including an Iron bed that must be taken apart to move, and a large armoire which might need its top taken off. I have a large file cabinet and large tall dresser too. But all this is fairly normal stuff, nothing out of the ordinary.
Do any of you have any recommendations or comments? I have some nice pieces of furniture and some that are not that great, I want a reliable and reasonably priced moving company. If you have any comments or recommendations I would appreciate it.
I also contacted for additional estimates Burrows Movers, E-Z Movers and USA Moving & Storage in Skokie? any thoughts regarding these companies. Thanks so much, Ilene

Diane

Re: good movers for local moves in Chicago, IL

Postby Diane » Tue Jan 24, 2006 5:21 pm

Hi - "Melissa" (an attorney with valuable antiques) posted that she had two great local moves in Chicago with A-Windy City Chicago Movers (she said it was "Jose's team"), a Wheaton agent -
http://www.movingscam.com/forum/viewtop ... 1217#41217

I think Burrows is good (though people have said it's pricey) and USA Moving is probably OK, but E-Z Movers in Skokie is on the Blacklist here, if it's the same company. See this thread - http://www.movingscam.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=1996

Another one you might want to look into is Dels Movers at www.delsmovers.com, with two good reviews here - http://www.movingscam.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=3711

Whoever you choose, please come back to report.

PS What's a "convertible studio"?

Ilene

Postby Ilene » Tue Jan 24, 2006 5:38 pm

Lindsey - thanks, I realized E-Z Movers was on the Black List after I missed it as Skokie is spelled incorrectly, so I did not catch it the first time. I just got their estimate however and surprise surprise it sounds too low compared to the other 2 I have received, the priciest being J Bradtke and one from USA Moving & Storage, a company a good friend of mine used on 2 occassions, recommending their foreman Javier.
So I will keep you all posted. Thanks again, and best regards,
Ilene

Ilene

Postby Ilene » Tue Jan 24, 2006 5:43 pm

Diane - I called you Lindsey by mistake sorry. Regarding what a convertible studio is, it is large than a square box studio, around 600 square feet and has a sleeping area and living/dining area. Most new highrises in Chicago now have walls separating the sleeping and living areas. It has a full kitchen too, with regular size stove/oven, fridge and dishwasher.
Hope that helps.

Diane

Postby Diane » Tue Jan 24, 2006 5:47 pm

That's OK - I've seen 600 sq. foot studios in CA with large double doors between the living/dining and sleeping areas; is that sort of what a convertible studio is?

I'll tell Tim that he spelled Skokie wrong.

Ilene

Postby Ilene » Tue Jan 24, 2006 5:53 pm

Yes that is, the new apt I am moving to is like that - they call it a Junior One bedroom, it has a small bedroom with a closet and separate air condition/heating unit and window, and french doors which open to a good size living room and little dining area off the kitchen.
Sounds exactly like what you have seen in California.

Take care and thanks for your help. Will keep you all posted.
Ilene

Helen M.

Postby Helen M. » Fri Feb 03, 2006 8:29 pm

I moved last year with Bradtke Antique movers. They are not the cheapest - but they were the BEST! (Not one thing broke, was lost, scratched, damaged!) If you don't have a lot of super valuable items, and you're not moving into a brand, spanking new home, you could probably save some money with another company. :D

Four years ago I had a TERRIBLE move with Burrows~ We had stuff that they packed that got completely damaged & I had to fight with them to get my claim paid. They are not cheap, either! Could not recommend them. :x

Diane

Postby Diane » Fri Feb 03, 2006 10:08 pm

Thanks, both of you. I'll add your comments on Bradtke, USA Moving, and Burrows to my summary thread on Chicago movers.

Ilenerobin

Postby Ilenerobin » Sat Feb 04, 2006 12:30 am

Helen - thanks for the post, I decided to go with USA Movers, my friend used them twice and had a good experience, they are a little cheaper but not that much compared to E-Z Movers. which gave me a really low estimate as they are known to do apparently, as they have a bad bad reputation on this site to begin with.

Burrows was even more than Bradtke's estimate. So I will let you all know how USA Movers does, just got all the boxes, tape, bubble wrap etc. and the packing will begin next week! Yuck, but it will be good to get rid of stuff and donate to charity and I am excited to go to a new place.

Take care -
Ilene

Postby Guest » Fri Feb 16, 2007 1:19 pm

Ilene - If you have moved already, how was your experience with USA Movers? I am moving next week and thinking of going with them. A friend also recommended them.

Thanks,
Jill

Diane

Postby Diane » Fri Feb 16, 2007 1:42 pm

Jill,

She is not going to see your inquiry because she was posting a year ago, and unfortunately she never came back to tell us what happened with her move. However I think USA Movers will probably do OK for you. Check out the comments on them on the Superlist linked to below under "Illinois" (end of listing under independent moving companies) - http://www.movingscam.com/forum/viewtop ... 7600#57600

One comment that has been made about USA Movers is that they are rather expensive.
Diane
Check out domestic companies on this thread. Click here for a detailed, authoritative article on international moving.

Return to “Open Community”