Moving from San Jose, CA to Ft. Lauderdale FL - Help!

Our open community forum is for general moving related questions, comments, and useful information about local and interstate moves.
Susan

Re: Moving from San Jose, CA to Ft. Lauderdale FL - Help!

Postby Susan » Fri Dec 19, 2003 10:50 am

Anonymous wrote: They are a self-service mover.

You may want to do a search of the message boards for Movex. There has been a lot of discussion about this company, and frankly, I am considering using them for my own move.

Another company that we've heard a lot about in the You Pack We Drive arena is ABF. You may also want to get a quote from them so you're looking at "apples to apples" for your YPWD quotes.

Also, since these companies both quote by linear feet, its important that you have a good idea of how much stuff you have, read: how much space you need. There are others that post here, that may be able to give you a better idea of that than I can.

If you do use a YPWD, I personally would be very interested to hear about your experience when its finished. My move is tentatively set for late February, and I have not yet selected a company.

Susan
Last edited by Susan on Fri Dec 19, 2003 1:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.

BigLeeCalif

Postby BigLeeCalif » Fri Dec 19, 2003 12:05 pm

Hi...

Remember that the thousand or so extra you will pay with CorOvan is due to them charging a more industry norm discount level...

As others have said, 72% discount is too high and totally out of line for what the other movers are charging...

In this area 65% is the normal discount, with sometimes 66% if the order is a large one.

Happy Moving.

Lee

Postby Guest » Sat Dec 20, 2003 12:45 am

Cor-O-Van came to my apartment today and did a thourough walk-through estimate and gave me a Not-to-exceede quote. The estimate was a couple of thousand lb. more than the others, but I do have a lot of heavy stuff. (hmmm 12 dishpacks full of obsidian, but that's another story)

Yep, their discount is 65%. He even gave me a second estimate to show the driver just in case he can't get the truck around back to my apartment and has to use a shuttle. He did that so I would be guaranteed the same 65% discount on the shuttle service if it was necessary.

Even though his estimate was $6500.00 for about 9700 lb., where the others were from $2800.00 to $3900.00 (but based on less weight), I am more confident that there will be no unexpected additional charges upon delivery and if the weight is actually less, the final bill should be less also.

I sent American Van Lines Worldwide an email requesting my deposit back and she refused. I will send her another message tomorrow that I will dispute the credit card charge if she does not refund it. I checked my account. It has already been posted.

Here is her reply to my message (in broken English):
------------------------
Dear David,

I'm so happy to hear that you got another position and after all you stay in CA, therefore the deposit is nonrefundable based on the company policy.

After the job had been schedule - Customer can receive his deposit (if he cancels his move) no less than 14 days before the pick up date.

In the order for service that you received its talk about that the deposit is nonrefundable and we have your confirmation on that from 12/03/03.

For more information please call us @1-866-466-8301

Thank you,

-----Original Message-----
Sent: Friday, December 19, 2003 1:16 PM
To: 'American Van Lines'
Subject: RE: David Megnin - The job # was not correct

Hi Adi,

I thank you very much for all of your help, but something wonderful has happened. I was offered another position within my company, so I will not be moving after all.

I therefore request that my $300.00 deposit be refunded.

Thanks again for your help and kindness. I will refer you to my friends.

David Megnin
Phone: (408) ###-####
Email: #david#@####.com

Michael

Postby Michael » Sat Dec 20, 2003 9:57 am

David,

Do you have a copy of this policy? Is it on any estimate they gave to you? If not, include that when you send your request to the credit card company. I think these companies think that if they cant screw you with the move they will at least screw you with the deposit, and if they cant screw you with the deposit they will drag it out as long as they can before you get your card reimbursed.

Again, and it emphasized constantly on this board, but it never hurts to scream it out loud again:

DO NOT MOVE WITH COMPANIES THAT DEMAND OR REQUIRE DEPOSITS

Good luck David and keep us posted.
Michael

Forget yourself for others and the others will never forget

BigLeeCalif

Postby BigLeeCalif » Sat Dec 20, 2003 12:03 pm

David, just a legal tidbit, should this company not respond favorably.

When you send any correspondence to them, pay the additional charge to do it by certified mail, return receipt requested.

This is accepted as evidence that you sent something to them... If it comes back unsigned for and unopened, leave it sealed. If and when you go to small claims court, allow the court administrator to open it, and verify that your claim is in writing and is valid.

Remember, a professional mover won't ask for a deposit. When you sign the agreement for service, you determine how you will pay.. cash, cashier's check, traveler's check, or money order.

Lee

Lenore

Postby Lenore » Wed Dec 08, 2004 10:58 am

Gads! PLEASE contact me BEFORE you use American Van Lines! I will show you personally THEIR idea of a "good job" packing/moving and you can make your own decision. The person that gave you the feedback regarding brokering to another company is right and how small they are is absolutely right. I thought they were North American Van Lines, but they are NOT. They packed our things professionally in California (we watched them) but by the time they got to Florida, they were absolutely destroyed and 30+ items are MISSING with no explanation. Even our tag numbers have been switched around with no explanation.
I will happily email you photos of how our things arrived. You would be as heartbroken as we are! My advice, pack the items yourself and/or get PODs to pack yourself, lock them yourself and have them shipped for you.
I wish we had! :O( Please email me and I'll send you photos. American Van Lines is doing nothing about our disasterous move and our stolen items...a true horror story!
LenoreMannella at aol.com

Return to “Open Community”