Dynamic, Twins, Hammer's, Clemmer's movers in PA. Info?

Our open community forum is for general moving related questions, comments, and useful information about local and interstate moves.
Gyszel

Dynamic, Twins, Hammer's, Clemmer's movers in PA. Info?

Postby Gyszel » Tue Jun 07, 2005 2:03 pm

I am doing an inter-state move between two small towns in PA (between Allentown and Philly, the towns are less than 15 miles apart). All I want is someone to load the truck, drive it and unload it! We will pack our belongings. It's just that we have a piano and 57" TV and other big items we don't want to move ourselves.

So I've done all the steps in the suggested article "How to find a reputable moving company", but it seems most of those are for between states. I can't find many bad things except for a scam warning on Twins Van Lines that is over a year old, with no recent updates. (See the "Report a Scam" boards, I bumped up the post there).

Here are the companies I've been looking at so far:
Clemmer Moving (Agent for Allied Van Lines)
http://www.clemmermoving.com/
$126.50/hr for 3 men.
They'll be doing an in-home estimate this coming weekend. All sounds good so far, right? They also solicited my realtor for references, which is how I heard of them in the first place. I don’t know if that’s a good sign or not.
I'm still trying to find their MC number, though. :(

Hammer's Moving and Storage
215-855-9051
http://www.vanlines.com/local_movers/co ... orage.html
License: USDOT 113447
13 driver and 9 vehicle inspections in the past 2 years...does that sound right or worrisome?
They seem to have been "in the business" the longest, and carry extra insurance (bond). I haven't actually called them yet. They’re also based IN PA which makes me feel a bit more comfortable.

Twins Van Lines. (See above, about the scams listed here…how do I find out updated information?) I think they might not be licensed in PA, but how do I find that out?
There website says: We are licensed by the state of NY (718-482-4810) and have no complains. (D.O.T. licensed number 33072) for local moves. We are licensed by the US D.O.T. (license number 882054) and the I.C.C. (License number 365449) for long distance moves

Lastly, Dynamic Movers
866-364-6300
License USDOT No. 1341709, License MC 516983 .6714 Bonnie Ridge Drive, Baltimore, MD 21209.
As I was typing this, they sent me a quote for $85/hr, but no estimate on how many hours it might take. I'll post the full text in another post so you can pick it apart. :)
Check out okay, can’t find anything here that seems to be related to these people, but maybe I’m searching incorrectly. Once again, they’re not based in PA, and that worries me a bit.

I hate to write instead of using existing resources, but there doesn’t seem to be much info here regarding moves or companies within PA. Or maybe I just can’t search well enough to find them! Sorry if I’m bothering anyone L

Jen

Gyszel

Re: Dynamic, Twins, Hammer's, Clemmer's movers in PA. Info?

Postby Gyszel » Tue Jun 07, 2005 2:04 pm

Here's the email from Dynamic Movers (edited to remove personal details):
We will provide you with one truck and three men $85 per hour
One hour travel time will be added will added after completing the job.
The hourly rate charge is for the following services:labor on pick up
and delivery,dis assembly and reassembly of large
furniture,fuel,tolls,taxes and valuation protection of $0.60 per
lb.per article. driving between destination will be consider part of the move.
packing services are not included in the hourly rate and will be
provided upon request.
Dynamic Movers Inc is a proud member of the BBB. we support the
Bureau's services to the public and meet the membership standards.
Each member of our stuff has at least two years experience in the
moving industry.
Our sales representatives must complete 3 month as a movers,so when
you call them they know exactly what your needs are.
We have an excellent reputation and we always make sure to keep it.
when you hire Dynamic Movers Inc, you know that there are no
surprises.we tell you everything upfront.NO HIDDEN CHARGES.
We believe in a quality work with a competitive price.
If you have any question or need more information please call 866-364-6300.
we appreciate your business.
sincerely
Michael
Dynamic Movers
mobi10@gmail.com

DOT:1341709
MC :516983

Diane

Postby Diane » Tue Jun 07, 2005 2:23 pm

Hi - rule out Dynamic Movers. It seems to be a very new company, judging from its license numbers and the BBB report. It has only 1 truck and 2 drivers and the owner is Moshe Shani. Although there may be no connection, a company with the same name headquartered in CA tried to scam me two years ago. If you can give us a website, we may be able to find out more.

Rule out Twins as well. Companies don't suddenly change and become good.

I don't know anything about Hammer's, but advertising on www.vanlines.com is generally not a good sign.

To me, Clemmer sounds like your best bet. According to the BBB, the company was founded in 1903. Its "History" page on its website is extremely interesting. It appears to be a family-owned company with a lot of trucks and drivers, which is good. Its MC license number is 296756 and its record on www.safersys.org looks fine. I think there is someone who browses this site who works for Allied and hopefully he/she will comment further on the quality of this company.

MusicMom

Postby MusicMom » Tue Jun 07, 2005 5:36 pm

Dynamic Movers Inc is a proud member of the BBB. we support the Bureau's services to the public and meet the membership standards.

They've been members since April. And seeing as how the BBB requires 12 months in business before memebership, either they were sitting on very lonely butts in their office watching the calendar, or they were moving without a license.

Each member of our stuff has at least two years experience in the
moving industry.
Our sales representatives must complete 3 month as a movers,so when
you call them they know exactly what your needs are. [/quote]

Again, How can they have had even three month's experience as salespeople when they've onlybeen licensed for 6 1/2 weeks?

We have an excellent reputation and we always make sure to keep it.

Again, how can they have built up a rep? I'm sorry to be saying the same things over and over again. One last thing, why will they be sending their one and only truck up to you in PA to complete a one-day move? The one-hour travel time tacked onto your bill will not cover the real time it takes them to get back to their apartment in Baltimore.

Hammer's Moving & Storage actually does NOT cary extra insurance. A long time ago they applied for a broker's license, but it was dismissed. This is the only license that requires a Bond, and they do nt carry it. It will do nothing for you even if they did. Is it possible that you mixed up the columns when you were reading? The Yes is under "required". They ahve been around for a while, though, that is a plus for them. Make sure they give you an in-home estimate.

Twins, I'm just gonna say NO. I'll echo Diane's sentiments to give Clemmer Moving a chance, and to see what Hammer's says.

Postby Guest » Thu Jun 09, 2005 8:29 am

Thank you both! I think you've confirmed my "gut feelings" on all these calls. :)

Now to call back and get some more info. :)

Postby Guest » Wed Feb 01, 2006 4:08 pm

Dynamic Movers is a bad choice. I just used them to move my belongs from Belton Texas to Santa Rosa Beach Florida. They estimated $3800. They arrived in this truck. I told them that this was not big enough. They loaded up the 1st load and said it would be at least $8000 and I had to pay half right now. They came back and made a 2nd load the next day. They still could not fit a yard swing into the truck. We said we wanted our stuff on January 6th. They said they had an extra 14 days from that day. They arrive on the 27th. They arrived in the same truck used to load in Texas. The wanted the rest of the money. We had 2 cashiers checks so we could give half before loading and half when they finished. They would not unload unless we gave them both checks. We gave them both. They unload and obvious things like a $4200 dixon 42 inch mower is missing among countless other things. We had to hassle with Michael until he finally agreed to give us back 1 check. We gave them a list of missing items. They came back 2 days later. Would not unload until we gave them the other check. We give them them check. Most of the items we mentioned that were missing were still missing. We still do not have all our stuff. This company is a rip off from the get go. BEWARE!

PMueller

Postby PMueller » Wed Feb 01, 2006 8:13 pm

I work for Allied (in Florida) - I have reviewed agents in your area and will share the following with you, keep in mind the quality scores are based on interstate shipments moving from one state to another and you are moving locally, you should be receiving hourly quotes plus travel time, which it appears you have been getting this information already.

Allied scores all agents from customer surveys on a scale of 1.00-5.00, there grading scale is as follows:

1.00-4.04 Needs Improvement
4.05-4.29 Meets Standards
4.30-4.39 Very Good
4.40-5.00 Excellent

Clemmer has a quality score for origin services of 4.12 with 140 surveys.

I would recommend contacting another Allied agent in Allentown, PA. This agent is O'Brien's and they have a quality score for origin services of 4.37 with 275 surveys.

If my corporate account had a transferee needing to make the same move you are making, I would choose O'brien's based on the scores above for my client. This does not mean that Clemmer is not able to perform your services, but there may be an office that will provide a little more attention to detail based on the customer feedback in the scores provided. If I don't have direct knowledge of a particular office when I need services - I base my decision on the quality scores.

I hope this helps and best of luck, let us know what happens!

Return to “Open Community”