Long Island to San Francisco

Our open community forum is for general moving related questions, comments, and useful information about local and interstate moves.
daria028

Re: Long Island to San Francisco

Postby daria028 » Thu Feb 02, 2006 1:05 am

For Mark NY-SF:

Not all national van lines have a 2100 lb. minimum. According to a post from PMueller (I wrote it down in my notes, but I can't remember what thread it was in):

Atlas, United, Mayflower have 2100 lb. minimums
Allied, North American have 1000 lb. minimums

The guy from Atlas told me they have a 1000 lb. minimum. Don't know if that's because this is off-season or because my move is only halfway across the country. Probably safest to call up the local agents and ask what the minimum is.

After getting four quotes (if you want details, my thread is "Boston to Kansas City"), I've decided to go with North American. I was given a GNTE of $1521.94 for 1400 lbs.

Good luck with your move!

PMueller

Postby PMueller » Thu Feb 02, 2006 8:47 am

Diane,

No, I would not assume or trust the quality for Newark, DE to be the same as Hauppage. The references that I made regarding Bayshore was for the company Bayshore Transportation out of Newark, DE and Woodbridge, VA only!

Let's set things correct - The other company is an Allied agent (after researching this morning) I have found Bay Shore Storage Warehouse, located in Hauppauge, NY. The President is listed as Ralph Montera and VP is Kevin Montera. The NYS DOT # T-896 and their website is www.bayshoremoving.com. The quality scores achieved in the past year is at 4.15 with 190 surveys.

Bayshore Transportation is owned and operated by Linda Piazza, they only have facilites and ties to the locations in Newark, DE and Woodbridge, VA. Their website is www.bayshoreallied.com. I've stated their quality scores previously as 4.56 with 218 surveys.

When I hear Bayshore, I have to admit I've only associated the name with Bayshore Transportation (as has a lot of Allied reps I'm sure). From now on, I will inquire for more information, as you can see there is a difference in quality - they are both Alled Van Line agents but operate separately from each other with no known association other than the same carrier.

Thank you Diane for pointing this out to me.

cnoblit

Postby cnoblit » Thu Feb 02, 2006 8:50 am

daria028 wrote:For Mark NY-SF:Not all national van lines have a 2100 lb. minimum...

Let me clarify this for you. All vampire lines that subscribe to the 400 series tariff (currently 400N) have a 1,000 pound minimum as provided for in the 400 tariff. However, setting the minimum shipment weight is left to the Booking Agent who may have a policy of 1,000 pounds, 2,100 pounds, or perhaps even 5,000 pounds. The Booking Agent will set his minimum shipment weight based upon how busy the agent is and/or the characteristics of the shipment or the shipper. The "bad guys" may set there minimum shipment weight based upon what they think they can get away with.

Furthermore, Agents and Van Lines can only (legally) specify a minimum shipment weight by observing one of the following methods.

(1) Specify a 1,000 pound minimum as provided in the 400N Tariff

(2) Specify a Space Reservation in increments of 100 cubic feet (starting at 300 cubic feet for household shipments (multiply the specified Space Reservation by 7 pounds to compute the minimum shipment weight)

(3) By was of 5,000 pound Expedited Service as provided for in the 400N Tariff

(4) By way of a Binding Estimate as provided for in the 400N Tariff

Lastly, Van Lines and Agents cannot arbitrarily charge a minimum shipment weight. And minimum weight that governs the shipment must be stated on the face of the Probable Cost of Services Estimate, on the Order For Service and must be approved by was of the Shipper's and Carrier's signature.

Hope this helps clarify this issue for ya'll.
Christopher Noblit
Professional Mover

asuen435

Postby asuen435 » Thu Feb 02, 2006 9:52 am

Pam,
Thanks for clearing that up about Bayshore.

Diane

Postby Diane » Thu Feb 02, 2006 11:23 am

PMueller wrote:When I hear Bayshore, I have to admit I've only associated the name with Bayshore Transportation (as has a lot of Allied reps I'm sure). From now on, I will inquire for more information, as you can see there is a difference in quality - they are both Alled Van Line agents but operate separately from each other with no known association other than the same carrier.

Thank you Diane for pointing this out to me.

Thank YOU for looking into this, Pam. I've been concerned about it for a long time because, as you say, Bayshore in the DC area has such a good reputation and I think the existence of the "other" Bayshore may be confusing people. This could also explain why "carefulamy" thought the workers looked unprofessional. It seems as if Astro would be a better choice if asuen wants a quote from an Allied agent, then.

cnoblit

Postby cnoblit » Thu Feb 02, 2006 11:33 am

Diane wrote:...It seems as if Astro would be a better choice if asuen wants a quote from an Allied agent, then.

Before calling Astro, one may want to check Astro's current Better Business Bureau which reports "As of 2/2/2006" a record of 3 complaints (last 12 months) 9 complaints (12 to 36 months) for a grand total of twelve (12) complaints over the past 36 months.

Furthermore, the Better Business Bureau reports that ("As of 2/2/2006") Astro Moving & Storage, St James, NY has a "satisfactory record." :?
Christopher Noblit
Professional Mover

Diane

Postby Diane » Thu Feb 02, 2006 11:42 am

Well, now we're getting somewhere. Usually people pussyfoot around and won't say anything definitive about other companies. (Although, saying that a company's record is "satisfactory" is as favorable as the BBB usually gets, I believe. It never says that a record is "outstanding" or whatever.)

I was just going by what Pam posted recently on this other thread when someone asked about Astro:
PMueller wrote:Astro (Allied) services more out of your area that any other Allied office. The next closest Allied office in number of shipments is Bayshore in Hauppauge, NY. Both of these facilities do a great job for me in the NY area. - http://www.movingscam.com/forum/viewtop ... 9846#49846

It appears that if Pam's customers have had good service from these two Allied agents, it was a bit of a fluke. (I wonder what Astro's quality scores are.)
cnoblit wrote:Let me clarify this for you. All vampire lines that subscribe to the 400 series tariff (currently 400N) have a 1,000 pound minimum as provided for in the 400 tariff.

Chris, what is a "vampire line"? I haven't heard that term before and it sounds ominous.

cnoblit

Postby cnoblit » Thu Feb 02, 2006 12:10 pm

Diane wrote:...Chris, what is a "vampire line"?...

OPPS! I meant "van lines!" :lol:
Christopher Noblit
Professional Mover

Diane

Postby Diane » Thu Feb 02, 2006 12:18 pm

Now the whole world knows what you REALLY think of the van lines . . . :lol:

cnoblit

Postby cnoblit » Thu Feb 02, 2006 12:19 pm

Some days are better than others Diane. :lol:
Christopher Noblit
Professional Mover

PMueller

Postby PMueller » Thu Feb 02, 2006 3:30 pm

Diane wrote:(I wonder what Astro's quality scores are.)

Ask and ye shall receive!

Astro's scores are:

4.05 with 236 surveys

Diane

Postby Diane » Thu Feb 02, 2006 3:33 pm

Thanks, but no thanks . . . this is very useful info, Pam.

asuen435

Postby asuen435 » Tue Feb 07, 2006 4:41 pm

Just an update, this past Saturday, Mike from Hall Lane Moving (United) showed up and gave me an estimate. He was on time, very professional & courteous, offered many packing tips. I'm a bit disorganized at this point, still unsure about some of the item that might or might not be going with me.

I was quoted 10,000 lbs for a total of $8,831.06. This is with me doing all the packing except the furniture. I didn't get a GNTE quote because there might be some item not making the trip later on. Hall Lane is a self-haul mover & they have their own weighting station, Mike said I'm encourage to follow the truck back to the weighting station after everything is loaded to witness the count.

Full replacement value insurance will be about $300. However, one catch with the insurance is that even thought I have all the original box for all my electronic/stereo items, I'll need to have their packer do the packing in order to be covered, that is unless the box is visibly appear damaged upon arrival. And an additional $200 to pack the Plasma TV on a crate (in its original box already) in order to qualify for the full coverage insurance.

At this point, I'm thinking maybe ship most of my stuff especially the heavy non-furniture items such as clothing, books... with Broadway Express and arrange full service movers to transport the expensive furniture & plasma TV with full replacement value insurance (Hopefully it'll meet the 2,100 lb minimum limit). I don't know if anyone think this is a good solution?

Diane

Postby Diane » Tue Feb 07, 2006 5:15 pm

I'm glad to get the good report on Hall-Lane. I know someone who divided her shipment as you are thinking of doing. She sent most of her things with Broadway to be stored in its IL warehouse for a while and the things she needed right away (and valuable antiques) she shipped with a United agent. She hasn't reported back but I believe it went OK.

If you send 8000 pounds with Broadway that is about 18 linear feet and it would cost you $4500. You could get a quote on the other stuff from Hall-Lane and that would tell you whether it will be cost-effective.

asuen435

Postby asuen435 » Tue Feb 14, 2006 4:46 pm

I have a question about getting a GNTE estimate. I remember Mike from Hall Lane told me, since I'm still not sure about many items that might or might not make the move, He said that in order to give me a GNTE quote, he would have to mark down the exact piece of furniture and whatever many boxes for all the stuff, I won't be allow to go over the number of boxes in order to qualify for the price. It seems to make sense to me at the time, but how does one can ever be sure how many boxes your stuff will fit into?

Return to “Open Community”