Does using a major carrier minimize problems??

Our open community forum is for general moving related questions, comments, and useful information about local and interstate moves.
Don't Shoot

Re: Does using a major carrier minimize problems??

Postby Don't Shoot » Sun Feb 05, 2006 1:26 am

I'm surprised to hear that AAA does not cover you for damage during a move. I have checked with them personally on two separate occasions and heard directly from a shipper's agent that they do...

That goes for USAA (civilian coverage for the Armed Forces) Each time I have recommended a shipper to call and double check with either AAA or USAA it has come back in the affirmative that they are indeed covered. Baffled...

Diane

Postby Diane » Sun Feb 05, 2006 11:31 am

Erich,

Thanks for explaining your situation. I'll be eager to see which moving company you choose and how it goes.

With regard to the auto transporter, we have an auto transporter thread discussing a number of different companies. DAS and Tn'T seem to have performed the best overall. However, I know the person who used to run Allen Auto Transport in Los Angeles and he has told me that the company continues to be good. Without having searched on the other names you mention, some of which sound familiar, I guess I would lean toward Allen Auto just on the basis of his recommendation.

All auto transporters are beset by delays. We have been unable to find any company besides Coast to Coast Auto (which doesn't service CA or the Southwest) that performs well for people on a consistent basis. DAS and Tn'T have done better on corporate accounts than for COD customers like us.

Michael

Postby Michael » Sun Feb 05, 2006 11:53 am

Erich,

Since you have AAA and since no one here has mentioned it yet, Atlas offers free valuation with a zero dollar deductible for AAA customers. You may want to look into that and get an Atlas agent out.

Dont shoot. USAA and AAA do not cover people for damage unless it is due to a fire, theft or if the truck gets hit and causes damage to your goods. So you need to have it specifically stipulated to you what is and why it is covered. I have USAA also and have never been covered by them when I moved if something came back broken due to a poor pack job or mishandling.

Another thing to keep in mind. If your home owners does cover you (State Farm is the only company I have seen cover their clients for any damage for any reason, but not in all cases) you would have to think if you went that route and had damage and filed a claim, your insurance cost will probably go up. And you better hope you dont file a new claim right off the bat with your new home, they could drop you like a hot potatoe.

Best of luck,
Michael

Forget yourself for others and the others will never forget

Diane

Postby Diane » Sun Feb 05, 2006 5:44 pm

Erich,

Just a note that I've received a confidential warning about Alex Moving from someone who should know. Even with a GNTE estimate you could have major service problems with them, I think. I realize that they're not highest on your list, but just want to make sure you have this info.

mntxnvlinda

Postby mntxnvlinda » Tue Feb 07, 2006 11:41 am

I feel the best way to move is to rent a truck or two and move yourself. We were burned by Transworld Movers, Fla in 2002 so this move we went with a major moving company. Our move with Atlas Van Lines was no better. We had quote for 10,000 lbs. then charged for 13,000, had items missing, broken and a delivery truck driver with a learners permit. A month after paying the final bill we received a statement in the mail with additional charges saying they miscalculated the bill. We filed an insurance claim for about $2400.00 and were offered $251.00.

If moving, rent a truck and move yourselves. We wish we did.

Diane

Postby Diane » Tue Feb 07, 2006 11:45 am

Linda,

Can you post the name of the Atlas agent that booked your move and the name of the company the driver worked for, if possible? A general complaint about a whole van line will be overlooked or dismissed, but more specifics could really help people.

mntxnvlinda

Postby mntxnvlinda » Wed Feb 08, 2006 1:22 pm

Silver Eagle Movers in Carson City, NV loaded the household into their trucks since the distance driver was behind schedule. The load was moved to Schroeder Moving System in St. Cloud, MN and put into storage. They told us a one or two day notice was enough for delivery. When I called it was 8 days, (which they also charged storage for) and items were missing. Some items they said "I saw that in the yard, or its in the office". What kind of locked secure storage is that? We ended up missing a 16 gal. shop vac, the top of a foot stool, (the legs were delivered, a shoe rack, a fan and etc. Items were broken that had to be direct drops, a cast iron pump which was wrapped in bubble wrap, packed in a heavy duty box with 12 inches of crumpled newspaper on the bottom an each side was broken! Furniture was scratched, a pier style headboard dropped so the end was smashed. Glasses that were in packing sleeves and put in dishpack box were broken. Not a good experience. Since the load was loaded, unloaded and handled so much its hard to know where the damage occurred. Phone calls to Schroder asking about missing items were never returned. When we filed a claim they said it was only covered for 60 cents a pound. I don't know where their motto "integrity/quality/solutions" comes from with the pure negligence that was involved. We are very unhappy that a company does nothing to resolve the problems we incurred. And then to receive an additional bill from the main office saying we werent charged enough after paying the final bill just tops the cake. If I ever move again it will be moving myself even if I pay airfare so someone can drive additional trucks.

Diane

Postby Diane » Wed Feb 08, 2006 2:03 pm

Silver Eagle Moving Services in Carson City, NV, and Schroeder Moving Systems in St. Cloud, MN, are indeed still listed as Atlas agents. People considering using either of them should keep your warning in mind. If items were actually lost in the warehouse, Schroeder should have insurance to cover that kind of thing. You could also send a letter to the van line HQ detailing your complaints to get on record how Schroeder performed.

Erich

Postby Erich » Thu Feb 09, 2006 1:37 pm

Okay, been away a couple days but have some updates. Since my last post I had Golden Eagle (United) come out. As expected everything was very similar to the other United quote from Sullivan, although they did catch a couple things that the other two companies had missed. Their weight came in slightly less than the other United Quote also:

United (Golden Eagle)
Estimate States: BINDING / NOT TO EXCEED PROPOSAL (Opt C)
Weight: 8936 lbs.
Items: 156
Total: $5657.97
Will move all 3 of my vehichles for an additional $4169 (6-10 day del.)

I also got auto quotes from TNT and DAS

TNT: $4050 (Pick up on date I want, 10-14 days del.)

DAS: $4185 (Pick up window up to 14 days!, 7 day del., kind of hard to work with on the phone)

*** PREVIOUS QUOTES FOR COMPARISON ***

Allied (Alex Moving and Storage)
Estimate States: NOT TO EXCEED PROPOSAL
Weight: 7693 lbs.
Items: 147
Total: $5022.58
Will move all 3 of my vehichles for an additional $2750

United (Sullivan Moving and Storage)
Estimate States: BINDING / NOT TO EXCEED PROPOSAL (Opt C)
Weight: 9248 lbs.
Items: 186
Total: $5892.92*
Said they typically don't move vehicles because they are not competitive.

More to come.... Boss just came in :D

Postby Guest » Thu Feb 09, 2006 1:38 pm

Whoops, I incorrectly listed Alex as an Allied carrier again, they are NAVL as pointed out previously.

Erich

Postby Erich » Thu Feb 09, 2006 7:21 pm

Okay, I am back. To answer a few previous questions:

1. I called AAA again, no coverage offered.
2. I have no desire to move myself, so I am willing to pay a good company to do it.
3. I list Alex Moving (NAVL) for comparison, but have already ruled them out.

Now, it comes down to the two united companies. Golden Eagle has a ton of awards and recognitions from United and other establishments. I discounted some of this at first because they were coming from United and Golden Eagle is part of United, but then I realized Sullivan Moving (United) did not have any awards or recognitions listed or advertised. I followed up on this with Golden Eagle and out of 500 united comapanies, they have ranked #1 for the past umpteen years and only #2 once. You can get ahold of the owner if you want to call him direct, etc. I think I am going to go with them for the move. I will probably go with Allen auto transport or through Golden Eagle for the cars, haven't compiled all the info yet.

Now, here is an intersting tidbit, the estimators name was Aaron Robilotto. That name might sound familiar because he had a discussion on here a while back when he worked for a Boston based company. The discussion was a little heated and he was beat up pretty bad by some folks in here. I can say in person he was very nice, very professional, and actually the best of the three estimators we saw. Just an interesting small world fact. Oh yeah, and on his move out here, his previous company subletted the move and lost some of his stuff. Not good if it happens to you when you are in the business. He saw the irony in it.

I will keep you posted.

Nancy

Postby Nancy » Thu Feb 09, 2006 7:50 pm

I think you will have a great move with Golden Eagle. They have an excellent reputation in the industry.

Good luck in your new home!

Diane

Postby Diane » Thu Feb 09, 2006 9:19 pm

Erich wrote: Golden Eagle has a ton of awards and recognitions from United and other establishments.

This is interesting because I have never been able to find any central website where United Van Lines lists which agents get which awards, and Michael told me once that there isn't any such place. If you could find out where it is, I would appreciate it because I would like to mention the awards in my posts about various United companies.
I will probably go with Allen auto transport or through Golden Eagle for the cars, haven't compiled all the info yet.

I wonder whether Golden Eagle may broker out the move to somebody like Allen Auto anyway. It would be worth asking. If United is going to move the cars I think it might be safer than using Allen.
Now, here is an intersting tidbit, the estimators name was Aaron Robilotto. That name might sound familiar because he had a discussion on here a while back when he worked for a Boston based company. The discussion was a little heated and he was beat up pretty bad by some folks in here. I can say in person he was very nice, very professional, and actually the best of the three estimators we saw. Just an interesting small world fact. Oh yeah, and on his move out here, his previous company subletted the move and lost some of his stuff. Not good if it happens to you when you are in the business. He saw the irony in it.

Unbelievable. I think he was with Benny's or some company like that. What goes around comes around, I guess.

Did the sales rep come today from Atlas Allied?

Erich

Postby Erich » Fri Feb 10, 2006 5:00 pm

Diane-
I will look for that website. The way I found out about the awards was because there was a flyer in the packet they gave me. I called their company to ask questions about them, etc. They had a bunch listed. Sullivans had one or two listed, but doesn't mean that is all they had I guess. I will see if there is a website or something.

On the car moving, they will probably broker it out, but can you elaborate on that being safer?

Diane

Postby Diane » Fri Feb 10, 2006 5:11 pm

I have no hard data about Allen Auto vs. United, just a feeling that if you have three cars to move along with your household goods, the sheer size of the move might make things go better with United than with a separate auto transporter (cumulative clout). But I could be wrong, and if the cost is much greater with United, you should think about it carefully. I also remember one person experiencing a very long delay when she shipped her car cross-country with a United agent.

Another thought:- someone just booked an auto move from CA to FL with Ron Bailey Auto Broker in West Palm Beach - http://www.movingscam.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=7223 I had forgotten that Ron Bailey would book from CA to the East Coast as well as the reverse. You might read what's said about Ron Bailey in the thread pointed to here and get a quote from them as well:
Diane wrote:--Ron Bailey Auto Broker, Inc. in West Palm Beach.
Since many people ask about reputable FL companies to move autos, I am including this company (phone 800-637-6969 or 561-686-3001; MC #183424). Judging from www.safersys.org, I think it may have some of its own trucks as well.
We have one good report:
http://www.movingscam.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=4474 (move from CA to FL)

I am a little nervous about Aaron Robilotto being the sales rep since as I recall he was defending a company that quotes by cubic feet, and he also called me "ignorant." Can a leopard change its spots :?: :?: I am also more impressed by awards listed in a press release from the van line than awards listed on some random flyer included in the sales packet.

Did you cancel the appointment with Atlas Allied?

Return to “Open Community”