MY NJ to SF move

Our open community forum is for general moving related questions, comments, and useful information about local and interstate moves.
ashear

Re: MY NJ to SF move

Postby ashear » Sun Feb 12, 2006 7:34 pm

Diane reminded me that I had not posted the results of my move.

University was excellent. The team that came to do the packing, we did a partial pack, breakables, big framed stuff, TV, some large appliances, was great. Quick, efficient, friendly, and understanding when we were not totally organized.

The driver was from an agent out in Long Island, I don't recall the name. He used to guys from University, one of whom had been with us the day before for the packing. They were all excellent. The driver told us when he expected to get to SF and gave us his cellphone number. We stayed in touch and his estimate was right on. He used two guys from another Atlas agent, I think it was Macy? Again, they were great, careful, laid down paper, called out the numbers so that I could make sure we had everything (they had done an excellent job of numbering and listing the boxes and items at the other end, I kept a fairly close eye on it). Other than some scratches on very heavy treadmill that they had some trouble getting out of our basement there was no damage

We cold not be happier.

Oh, and the initial weight came in high, which was no harm to me since i had a GNTE. But both the driver and the University agent though it was high due to snow so they reweighed in SF and it came in lower, below the estimate, so I saved a few hundred.

ashear

Postby ashear » Sun Feb 12, 2006 7:38 pm

As for DAS. I can't say I was as happy, but overall it was fine. It took several days longer then they had estimated, oddly with the car I dropped off a day earlier taking several days longer. One car had a problem, the shiftlock button in the shifter was stuck. This made it impossible to get the key out. They thus must have known about the problem but said nothing. I saw it and reported it but then got it unstuck myself. No other damage. So they were fine, if slow. Not sure there is any better way to do it.

Diane

Postby Diane » Mon Feb 13, 2006 3:26 pm

ashear wrote:University was excellent. . . . the initial weight came in high, which was no harm to me since i had a GNTE. But both the driver and the University agent though it was high due to snow so they reweighed in SF and it came in lower, below the estimate, so I saved a few hundred.

I'm glad to hear that your move went well. I would be curious to know from people in the industry, is it common for an agent to have a truck reweighed because it thinks that snow might have made the loaded truck heavier than it should have been? This seems to me quite unusual unless I'm missing something.

ashear

Postby ashear » Mon Feb 13, 2006 4:16 pm

I should clarify. I don't think its that he though the weight of the snow on the truck had an effect, it was that he though the scale was not working properly due to snow/cold (and it appears he was right).

Diane

Postby Diane » Mon Feb 13, 2006 5:57 pm

Oh, OK. Still it was nice of them to do the reweigh.

Return to “Open Community”