*Moving to OR - Load is too small for van lines - now what?

Our open community forum is for general moving related questions, comments, and useful information about local and interstate moves.
dtoregon

Re: Moving to OR - Load is too small for van lines - now wha

Postby dtoregon » Fri Feb 10, 2006 1:25 pm

So far I have 2 full-service movers, per this board's recommendations, coming to the apartment to give estimates: Simonik and University Van Lines (Rahway). Each agent was extremely nice and professional on the phone so I'm very hopeful. I spoke with Peers Moving (Dover); however, they don't go to Oregon. He referred me to Allstate Moving. So I will contact them for an estimate as well. Thanks to all for that.

I also contacted 3 crating companies for my painting and stained glass window. The estimates have been Box Bros $625.00; Craters & Freighters $440.00 and I'm awaiting an estimate from Navis Logistics (Hillsdale). Happily, both Craters and Navis asked for the depth of each item and had more questions than did Box Bros.

I've become best buddies with my local UHaul since their boxes, wrapping paper and covers are so much cheaper than anywhere else that I've called.

Thanks again to everyone!! I'll let you know the next developments.

Diane

Postby Diane » Fri Feb 10, 2006 1:49 pm

Hi - I think you're on the right track with University and Simonik. Allstate is good for local moves but it is an agent of Paul Arpin Van Lines and some people in the industry have said that it may not be too good to use Arpin (as a smaller van line) for a cross-country move. I think their reasoning is that Arpin will not have as many long-haul drivers as larger van lines do, and with fewer agents the driver may not be able to get help easily at destination. Peers is a local mover within NJ.

With regard to the crating, why don't you get University or Simonik to crate the goods as part of your overall move? I saw people's goods being crated for overseas shipment in University's warehouse and I feel sure that Simonik also does this. This will be simpler and cheaper than having a third-party company do it.

I suppose you saw the negative remarks about Box Brothers that were recently posted on this thread, after I wrote to you - http://www.movingscam.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=6786 Our knowledge about these packaging/shipping companies is evolving.

dtoregon

Postby dtoregon » Fri Feb 10, 2006 2:36 pm

I didn't realize that the movers could crate these special items. I was afraid that they only had boxes available. I will definitely check with them when they come by for the estimate.

As always thanks for your helpful ideas and patience!

Diane

Postby Diane » Fri Feb 10, 2006 2:40 pm

Yes, parts of moving company warehouses look like woodworking shops with all sizes of wood pieces sitting around waiting to be nailed together. That's why I suggested that Moovers, Inc. would have to throw some pieces of wood and a hammer on their van in order to construct crates at your place on the spot (since they don't have a warehouse in your area).

Don't worry; I didn't know this either until I started visiting moving companies' facilities.

dtoregon

Postby dtoregon » Mon Feb 13, 2006 10:52 am

I just had an interesting call. Katy at Simonik called to tell me that they don't "cover" Newark. This is after she set up an appt for an estimator to come to my place. She referred me to Reliable Van & Storage (Frank Gennuso) at 908-352-5300. What I find peculiar is that they move people across country but because they're located in Bridgewater (28.1 miles from me) they don't cover my area. What is wrong with this picture?

Diane

Postby Diane » Mon Feb 13, 2006 12:22 pm

Maybe the agents have "gentlemen's agreements" not to encroach on each other's territory.

Caution: people have posted varying things about Reliable Van & Storage (Allied).
http://www.movingscam.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=741#741 (iffy official record on www.safersys.org in 2003)
http://www.movingscam.com/forum/viewtop ... 3592#23592 (local move panned by "pacerfan577")
"PMueller" can give you more of a rundown on this agent since she works for Allied in FL.

University Van Lines is tried and true around here so I feel pretty confident that you will be OK with them if you choose to go that route.

People can contact the NJ State Board of Public Movers at 973-504-6442 to check on companies' licensing and complaint history for intrastate moves (within NJ). The NJ Warehousemen and Movers Association at 732-341-3934 may also be able to offer some insight about quality.

dtoregon

Postby dtoregon » Mon Feb 13, 2006 1:04 pm

I have the following movers coming tomorrow to perform estimates:

Allstate Moving & Storage (Linden, NJ)
University Van Lines (Rahway, NJ)
Reliable Van & Storage (Elizabeth, NJ)
All Seasons Movers, Inc (Kearny, NJ)

I was referred to Allstate by Peers because Peers doesn't do cross country moves. The woman I spoke with at Allstate wanted to know if I was flexible on the delivery date, which I am since I will be driving across country as well. Am I to assume this is because I'm a less than full load?

I read that University books with Atlas, long haul trucks & drivers, for any moves beyond Chicago. Do you have any views on this?

Thanks for the info on Reliable, I will keep that in mind.

Are there any specific questions I should ask tomorrow? Also, are there any statements that I should listen for as warning messages? Can I expect to receive a GNTE at this time?

Diane

Postby Diane » Mon Feb 13, 2006 1:16 pm

All four of your companies are agents of major van lines, so I don't think you have anything frightening to worry about.

Because your load is so small, the Arpin agent is kind of warning you that it may not be delivered for a while, maybe quite a while. See above for cautions that others have expressed about using Arpin for a cross-country move.

I assume you know that All Seasons (like University) is an Atlas agent. Normally it isn't necessary to get quotes from two agents of the same van line, but if you want to, go ahead. In each case, an Atlas long-haul driver will actually drive your goods to Oregon. This is completely normal.

I don't know about getting a GNTE because your load is so small that I assume it may be below the minimum for some of the van lines. If so, you will be charged for the minimum poundage even if your weight is lower. Be sure to mention your need for crating to each rep.

dtoregon

Postby dtoregon » Mon Feb 13, 2006 1:48 pm

As always you are a fount of information. No, I had no idea that All Seasons was also Atlas. Should I cancel one of them?

Diane

Postby Diane » Mon Feb 13, 2006 1:53 pm

Yes, I would cancel All Seasons, frankly, because I think you will like Bill Quigley or Mike from University (whoever is coming) and it will be a waste of time for the All Seasons rep to come out.

dtoregon

Postby dtoregon » Tue Feb 14, 2006 10:02 am

The 1st mover (Reliable) has been to the apartment and it would appear that I have more than the required minimum weight. He felt I had approximately 4500 lbs (about 600 cubic feet). He was very personable. He took his time and answered all of my questions. He performed this estimate using a handheld device called a "First Mate, Pocket Sales Mate". He inspected every closet, cupboard and drawer in the apartment.

He also said that I could accompany the van to the weighing and then meet my move coordinator at the same time since the scales were at the Allied warehouse.

I've asked him to include the crating of the painting and stained glass window in the estimate and he carefully took down the exact dimensions (to include depth) of both.

He left me with an Allied folder containing a 52-page booklet on my rights and responsibilities, a Moving Handbook, a Moving Checklist and a CD entitled "Important Moving Information from Allied Van Lines.

He said he would email the estimate to me and that since I met the weight criteria he could give me a guaranteed date of pickup. (I would be a less than full load.) He inspected the driveway and loading zone for the apartment building and felt that the van could access this.

He requested that I find out if the apartment buiding required a certificate of insurance to perform this move and that they could guarantee that the loading zone would be clear that day. He also asked that I send to him a contact name at the apartment building to discuss any details.

All in all, he seemed thoroughly professional.

Diane

Postby Diane » Tue Feb 14, 2006 10:33 am

Good report. Incidentally, this 4500-pound estimate shows just how wrong an estimate can be without an in-person survey. When you initially wrote this, I thought for sure you had a very small shipment of around 2000 pounds:
I am moving to Oregon at the end of April. The only furniture I have is a 5 ft x 2.5 ft desk, two small rolling files, a rolling desk chair, an antique chinese wine table and a 48in x 54in unframed painting. The rest of the items are boxes of books, household items, kitchen, linens, framed prints and clothing. I have been told that I do not meet the weight limit for Allied etc. (2001 lbs).

So if you had proceeded to reserve an ABF container (for example), no way would it have all fit. Just another piece of evidence that a household survey should always be done if at all possible.

Also, I want to add to what I posted above:
Diane wrote:Caution: people have posted varying things about Reliable Van & Storage (Allied).
http://www.movingscam.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=741#741 (iffy official record on www.safersys.org in 2003)
http://www.movingscam.com/forum/viewtop ... 3592#23592 (local move panned by "pacerfan577")
"PMueller" can give you more of a rundown on this agent since she works for Allied in FL.

I didn't want to confuse the issue, but the first thread above makes clear that there are (or were) two companies in the NY metro area using the name Reliable. One, Reliable MOVING out of NYC, is a scammer that uses or used orange trucks resembling Allied's and was fined for deceptive advertising. The other, Reliable VAN out of Elizabeth, is an Allied agent with internal quality scores (Pam Mueller tells me) in the "very good" range. The Allied agent's record on www.safersys.org now looks much better than it did back in 2003 and I do not think that this company should be rejected for that reason. Also, I am not absolutely sure that "pacerfan577" was moved by the Allied agent. He could have been moved by the impostor Reliable, i.e. the scammer.
Last edited by Diane on Tue Feb 14, 2006 10:53 am, edited 1 time in total.

dtoregon

Postby dtoregon » Tue Feb 14, 2006 10:47 am

You are SO right. I realize now when I look at the papers from my last move that the estimator's 572 was undoubtedly cubic feet (that was an intrastate move) and I thought it was 572 lbs! I feel like such an idiot.

Diane

Postby Diane » Tue Feb 14, 2006 11:00 am

Don't worry, because anyone reading this thread in the future will learn a lot from it. Also, I'm glad you have a larger shipment because it likely means that you will get faster delivery.

Again, I am not absolutely sure which company "pacerfan577" was referring to above when he said the workers from Reliable were surly during his 2003 move - http://www.movingscam.com/forum/viewtop ... 3592#23592 He states clearly that it was the Allied agent, however. For future reference, the Allied agent has MC (Motor Carrier) #139328. I do not think that the Allied agent should be rejected because of this one bad report from 2003.
Last edited by Diane on Tue Feb 14, 2006 11:14 am, edited 1 time in total.

dtoregon

Postby dtoregon » Tue Feb 14, 2006 11:13 am

Thanks for being so forgiving. :oops:

I guess this means that I can get a GNTE? I still have Allstate (Paul Arpin) and University (Atlas) coming this afternoon. I will post those results as well.

Return to “Open Community”