*Moving to OR - Load is too small for van lines - now what?

Our open community forum is for general moving related questions, comments, and useful information about local and interstate moves.
Diane

Re: Moving to OR - Load is too small for van lines - now wha

Postby Diane » Tue Feb 14, 2006 11:18 am

Yes, you should be able to get a GNTE. Allied calls it a TPG (Total Price Guarantee) quote with GRR (Guaranteed Rate Reduction). Ask the sales rep to give you a "TPG with GRR" quote so your cost will go down if your weight is less than the estimate. This means that they will have to weigh the truck whereas Allied sometimes does not, so I'm not sure what the rep will say. As long as his quote is more or less in line with the other two companies, I don't think you would absolutely have to insist on a GRR.

Just a warning that University's GNTE quote is likely to be high because that's just what its sales reps do. But the reviews show that almost everyone has paid less than the estimate amount.

Diane

Postby Diane » Tue Feb 14, 2006 1:50 pm

I just called Allstate Moving & Transfer (Paul Arpin) to ask what quote system Paul Arpin Van Lines uses, because I want to add the information to my summary post on quote terminology used by the various van lines. Here it is:

Nonbinding estimate - they just call it "Nonbinding"
Binding estimate - they just call it "Binding"
Binding Not to Exceed estimate - they call it "Accu-Quote" (so this is the same as a GNTE)

See my summary post here - http://www.movingscam.com/forum/viewtop ... 5876#45876

BTW Allstate Moving won a quality award from the van line in 2004, apparently related to customer service - http://www.arpin.com/pdf/2004Convention.pdf

dtoregon

Postby dtoregon » Tue Apr 11, 2006 7:26 pm

I chose to go with University. The movers will arrive 20 April. I will keep you posted as to how things turn out.

Next question: What are the guidelines for tipping a driver and the workers?

dtoregon

Postby dtoregon » Tue Apr 11, 2006 7:41 pm

Never mind ... searched and found a great thread on tipping. Thanks again!

dtoregon

Re: *Moving to OR - Load is too small for van lines - now wh

Postby dtoregon » Tue Apr 18, 2006 8:48 am

Movers are due here on Thursday and if I understand all the posts my last steps are:
1. Water and lunch for drivers and loaders
2. After loading is completed, follow driver to weigh station and get copy of weight ticket

Am I missing anything?

dtoregon

Postby dtoregon » Wed Apr 19, 2006 5:56 pm

I heard from the driver this afternoon and filled him in on what is in the move (crates etc.). He said he and the loaders would be here around 9am tomorrow. He seemed very nice and I got his cell phone #. Wish me luck.

dtoregon

Postby dtoregon » Tue May 09, 2006 10:04 pm

I'm in Oregon and the move went great. University Van Lines (Atlas Van Lines) was terrific to work with. Mike Carolan came within approximately 50 lbs of my weight. I was under his estimate and they even credited my credit card for that!!! The driver (Leland Alley) was the best. He and his crew were complete professionals and really nice guys. Both ends of the move went smoothly. I thought I was missing something and called him and he was the soul of politeness and helpful. When I found the box he was equally nice. I did the packing for the majority of the move and nothing was broken. Atlas took care of my painting and stained glass window and they arrived in perfect condition. The other items that they had to pack arrived in good condition. I couldn't have been happier.

Thanks MovingScam for all your good advice and help.

Diane

Postby Diane » Tue May 09, 2006 10:17 pm

Great to hear this! I remember you told me in a PM that Mike's weight estimate was way below the others--he estimated 2800 lbs for $3526, binding not to exceed (APP). This, then, appears to be one of the few cases where University did not estimate way high. Coming within 50 pounds is incredible, but there was another recent case ("shauna120") where Mike was within 100 pounds. I have to hand it to him. Anyway, I'll add your review to our University Van Lines review thread and I'm really glad we could help.
Diane
Check out domestic companies on this thread. Click here for a detailed, authoritative article on international moving.

Return to “Open Community”