temporary moving help in DC (to help load ABF containers)

Our open community forum is for general moving related questions, comments, and useful information about local and interstate moves.
kmcbevia

temporary moving help in DC (to help load ABF containers)

Postby kmcbevia » Mon Feb 27, 2006 11:49 am

Hi,

I posted a couple of days ago looking for advice on movers for a DC-San Francisco relocation. Thanks again to everyone for their help.

I've called a few of the places recommended in earlier posts by MusicMom, and was going to look into ABF as well. However, if we do ABF, we will definitely need to hire someone to load the containers -- I'm pregnant and my husband has a back injury.

I know Diane was kind enough to mention Beltway in her post as a possible source for loading help. I also did some looking on the boards, and it sounds like in general I should stay clear of Labor Ready and try finding people with emoves.com. Does anyone know of other companies? Thanks so much.

Diane

Re: temporary moving help in DC (to help load ABF containers

Postby Diane » Mon Feb 27, 2006 12:36 pm

Hi again. This is a thread comparing several DC/MD-area companies for local moves - http://www.movingscam.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=5710 Since you'll be having a relatively low-cost move with ABF, I personally would advise you not to skimp on the quality of the loading labor. Beltway, Town & Country, and JK Moving all have good remarks here.

LaborReady workers come with workers' comp and liability insurance, a big plus, but they are sometimes not very skilled and often rather scruffy looking. They also have a four-hour minimum. Workers from eMove.com may be better in these areas but they almost never have licenses or insurance, so you are taking a big chance if you use them. You could be sued if one of them gets hurt on the job.

Tanya

Postby Tanya » Mon Feb 27, 2006 3:04 pm

I think it's okay to post this because I actually heard of the company here, lol. You might want to check out www.carolyncleans.com She is in Maryland and I recently contacted her regarding cleaning services for a rental property.

I couldn't have been more pleased with the customer service/quick replies, and I checked out her rates for moving/loading/unloading since I'm in the business and her rates were VERY reasonable.

Tanya

Diane

Postby Diane » Mon Feb 27, 2006 3:19 pm

Thanks, Tanya. Did you actually use her or just get a quote?

Someone posted previously that they didn't think Carolyn went to DC or VA or I would have mentioned her. But just in case, here is my summary post about the company:
Diane wrote:--Carolyn's Custom Cleaning, LLC (independent) in Glen Burnie, MD.
This company is listed on www.emove.com and supplies packing/unpacking and loading/unloading services in MD. They would not be licensed as an actual mover. They travel within a 100-mile radius but I don't think they go to DC or VA.
In May 2004 "snow" gave the company a rave review on a local move and added the following comments: "The website is www.carolyncleans.com. I do not know if they only work through Emove or if they also do direct. I know that her husband handles most of the moving arrangements for the company and ordinarily uses another helper. I moved on Easter weekend so Carolyn herself was his very able assistant. They charged $55/hr for 2 hour minimum on both ends. That was way lower then the others on Emove, but maybe it was to get them started. Carolyn's office # is 410-590-1300.":
http://www.movingscam.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=1605 (local)

And here's my post about another company in MD:
Diane wrote: --Brennan's Moving & Storage (independent) in Baltimore.
This company has the phone number 410-242-5030 and DOT #977295. Someone who works there ("Tanya") has made valuable contributions to this messageboard. She has stated the following about Brennan's: "The majority of our moves are local, however we do long distance moves up and down the East Coast (North Carolina, South Carolina, Florida, PA, DE, New Jersey, New York). One thing to keep in mind though, depending on how much you have to be moved on a long distance move we may suggest it's not cost efficient to use our company. (Basically, if you have a small amount of items, it would be best to use another company. Our customers have exclusive use of our trucks, we do not "piggy back" loads, so if you have a small amount of items it woudln't be cost efficient to pay for us to travel so far and back when there are other companies who could do it at a better rate by combining their loads).":
http://www.movingscam.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=883

Tanya

Postby Tanya » Mon Feb 27, 2006 3:39 pm

I did hire her. Honestly, I emailed 5 companies, she was the ONLY one that emailed me back. We spoke on the phone and I was really impressed with her (I mentioned I had read good reviews of her company here as well and she was very happy with that).

In addition, the crew she sent to my rental did a fantastic job, and were very detail oriented (calling me to make sure i was aware someone had written in a black marker on the one bedroom door), etc. (they did manage to get the marker off the door for me as well). I was just very impressed all around, with the customer service and the job they did, and wanted to share my experience.

Diane

Postby Diane » Mon Feb 27, 2006 3:44 pm

Thanks, and I'll add your comment to my summary post above. Even though it has nothing to do with moving, it speaks to her character.

kmcbevia

Postby kmcbevia » Mon Feb 27, 2006 4:34 pm

Thank you again for the feedback. I really appreciate it.

Return to “Open Community”